Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You, JUNE by Glitterwolf

21 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 9th.

You can get 30.000 in your Nation's currency but it will cost you a year of your life.

Will you do it and how many years will you trade?

A year for 30k? I think I’ve already traded at least a decade for that amount... it was just split up into biweekly payments <_<

If someone wants me to shorten my life by a year, they’ll have to pay me a lot more than 30k.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Question June 10th.

What is your biggest pet peeve with modern technology?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Wait, we're only allowed to pick one?  (purple) You ask the impossible! (/purple) 

I'm going to go with a mannerism that seems to have come about due to what we consider modern technology, and it's overall influence on life in general... Actually, two. 

- Cell phone zombies... Kind of self explanatory, but it's more the whole they don't pay attention to where they're going because their phone is the only thing getting attention... "Bonus points" (of shame to them) if they get cranky because they walked in to you.  Bonus hilarity points if they try to fight or argue with whatever inamite object they walked into.. 

- The constant claim that you have to respond IMMEDIATELY because the world is "so interconnected".  No, if you poke me outside of work hours on work phone, unless something is on fire I'm probably not responding. The same goes for someone texting me, or even thinking poking me on Telegram or Discord will get an answer immediately. 

Also see "people who get cranky because you didn't reply as fast as their browser pulls up a new page" behaviors. 

Edit: if it's with technology itself... Any company who claims their device WILL last two full days of use, but has to be plugged in after eight to twelve hours of moderate use. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Question June 10th.

The over-reliance of it, to the detriment of actual life skills. When I rule a country I will make sure that TV and internet gets shut off for one day a week, so that people will go out and connect with people again, and enjoy restaurants and theatres and books again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Question June 10th.

My major annoyance is that lots of people take everything they see on the interferenet/fartbook/incelgram and such as real facts.

Often to the point of dismissing centuries of science and studies and willing to believe that said nitwit has drank a wisdom potion and suddenly knows better.

I will give no examples to stay clear from the beehive..I implore you do take care of such things as well.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Question June 10th.

No problems at all with high-tech. Technology make life easier.

It is not technology itself, it's just how people use it. I mean, a mixer do nothing to harm people, unless you put your hand into the mixing bowl... 

If I have to complain for something, the only problem I can find is that is overpriced...
well... first world problems <_<

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Press 1 for English........:rolleyes:

Also 30k or $30 bucks? :lol: Either eh, I'll keep my year  Besides, I have unpainted minis ill live forevah!!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Mostly, I'm a fan of modern technology. But there's definitely a few things...

• Everyone can now be an "expert" at everything. Politics, science, religion, race relations, law, you name it. You can go onto just about any site out there with a social media component and find someone willing to tell you that you're wrong about everything based solely on their five minute google search or some meme they saw. Unfortunately this appears to be spilling over into real life. I work for my state's EPA and every month or so I get somebody telling me, to my face, that my decades of experience and education are wrong because of some half baked conspiracy theory they found on the web. Or worse, accuses me of having some sort of "agenda" to exploit them (it's never clearly articulated what I'm going to do or why). I feel like the widespread access to information we all enjoy has lead to an explosion in people exhibiting Dunning-Kruger syndrome. But I'm not a psychologist, or nearly any other kind of expert when it comes to human behavior. So take that last bit with some skepticism.
  •  The loss of important skills. Earlier in the month for one of these questions I mentioned how none of my incoming interns can read a topo map or use a compass. But there's a bunch of other simple stuff going over to automation now due to technology. In my line of work species identification of flora and fauna is extremely important. I've met several consultants who use an app on their phone for this now, and often get the wrong results. They can't identify what they're looking at a lot of times and so they just rely on whatever their phone tells them, and that can lead to a lot of extra work down the line. I'm fairly certain that this pops up in other professions. But, once again, I'm only an expert at a narrow range of things, so look into that yourself.
  • Like WhiteWulfe said... cellphone zombies. We had to let a guy go from our gaming group a few years back because while he was always there, he was never "there" if you get my meaning. Put it down already, it's rude and you're missing out on life.

I could probably ramble on, but those seem to be the big ones for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

1. Cords everywhere...all the spaces have cords trailing over them, under them, through them. Charger cords, power cords, connection cords...  And every year they invent the newest, latest, greatest connector type that we all must now have and all new equipment will have going forward; ensuring that none of your old equipment will conect to the new, so you now need adapter cords and extender cords, etc.  This also leads to the drawer of old cords that just might be useful later, but never are; but you just can't quite get yourself to dispose of them since they cost so damn much in the first place.

(The one that really pissed me off recently is the new USB-C connector.  The standard is so lose that if you have the port, it could be anything from the functionality of the old USB-2 to USB-3, all the way up to Thunderbolt 3 which can power everything, run video and audio, all while washing your car*.  The only problem is that the only way to know what you have are tiny little symbols next to the port that mean nothing without using Google, and to top it all off, not all manufacturers use those symbols consistently.)

And to solve it we have Bluetooth and WiFi wireless, both of which are great when they work, but they often fail just when you need them the most, causing you to spend an hour you could have spent being productive, trying to figure out why the damn thing won't connect.

2. Planned obsolescence: computers last longer than they used to, but they grow old and un-useable very quickly.  I'm still using tools made around 1900 in my jewelry shop, but I can't get a PC to run reliably for more than 5 to 10 years (if i'm lucky).

*May not be a real function of Thunderbolt 3, but who knows?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Question June 10th.

The expectation that because you can receive a message/call anytime that you will answer...  Makes me completely crazy!!!  I have both my phones (work/personal) set to go on "do not disturb" mode a specific times to ensure they don't bother me when I'm done with them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Question June 10th.

Always needing "another" kind of wire, or adapter to connect, charge, listen too any device to any other. I know standards evolve over time, but most companies don't want to play nice with the others, so you have to buy their exclusive cable/adapter again to get their device to even work. And don't you dare try last generation model's adapter, it's treason or something.

Second one would be to live as battery slaves. Every company was so obsessed to having the most compact, lightest, yet more powerful than the previous model, but somehow having far larger batteries is never an option.

The never ending incremental improvements to technology, but marketing convinces you it's a revolutionary game changer compared to the model from less than a year ago.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Constant unnecessary "upgrades" to software just for the sake of changing something or rearranging the way it looks. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Question June 10th.

It fails at the most annoying times. Especially if it’s windows based. Ugh.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Question June 10th.

That it doesn't work. Nobody is interested in creating stable technology, just release it and work on a new thing. If the old thing doesn't work well, buy the new thing. Also rate of change and forced obsolescence. Apple discontinuing support of their OS after 3 years? No thanks.

Tangentially, that it's not repair-centric. I came up when you cobbled together a computer from parts you got at a trade show. Now if something is broken, you replace it. After reliability, repairability is next on my list of important features in technology. If you can't repair it, you don't own it. 

This all leads into my dislike of capitalism, because it's predicated on generating profits, not quality goods.

14 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Constant unnecessary "upgrades" to software just for the sake of changing something or rearranging the way it looks. 

Oh God don't get me going on rearranging things. Probably the #1 complaint I get from public and employee users. I don't even bother learning interfaces anymore because the rate of change is so rapid.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Press 1 for English........:rolleyes:

Also 30k or $30 bucks? :lol: Either eh, I'll keep my year  Besides, I have unpainted minis ill live forevah!!!!

Press a button for English... At least it isn't the most hated thing of all... 

"I can understand full sentences, please describe to me what you are calling about today..." 

I've yet to find a system where voice "recognition" actually got me where I wanted to be... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2