Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You, JUNE by Glitterwolf

6 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The over-reliance of it, to the detriment of actual life skills. When I rule a country I will make sure that TV and internet gets shut off for one day a week, so that people will go out and connect with people again, and enjoy restaurants and theatres and books again.

Saw, at the time of this reply, you had 1 smiley, 1 confused, and 1 thanks. So three of four symbols popped up. So had to be the odd one out and add the laughing face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

What is your biggest pet peeve with modern technology?

LED headlights. As far as I'm concerned, every act of turning those on constitutes the crime of assault with intent to maim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

25 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

LED headlights. As far as I'm concerned, every act of turning those on constitutes the crime of assault with intent to maim.

THIS!! I hate those @$^&%#$(</$  things.

Cell phone zombies and planned obsolescence also annoy me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

I'll also never understand how a luxury car company (Cadillac is especially bad for this) choose cheaper emitters that cause the light to split into two separate sets of lights - one white, the other blue, and it's a rather vibrant, headache inducing blue...  And sure, they may "look cool", but LEDs are, and always will be, extremely directional, which is not something you want in headlights!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Honestly?  People.

Something new and innovative comes out, and one of the following occurs:

1) it turns out that it was forced to market buy investors too soon, and is full of security holes or is dangerous

2) it becomes "the next big thing" and quickly becomes a popularity contest among the rich and "influential", trivializing it

3) it is amazing, so it bought out by tech giant and either "disappeared" or ruined by their attempt at "rebranding"/"integration into their existing platform"/"minor enhancements"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Question June 10th.

failure to design for replacement of parts that are on a ticking clock the second they're manufactured.  hard disks, and batteries should always be user replaceable with no more than 1 screw driver. in most cases batteries ought to be on a quick release for devices smaller than a lawn mower, why?

Spoiler

BECAUSE SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO CUT THE POWER RIGHT NOW!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Question June 10th.

*Dons tinfoil hat* the fact that all consumer electronics with an x86 chip can be backdoored... it's irked me since the 80's.:ph34r:
and also all other devices. https://www.ted.com/talks/avi_rubin_all_your_devices_can_be_hacked/transcript?language=en

Edited by Seer of the Pitt
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Well uh... I'll just say I'm more annoyed with Users and Consumers than with the technology itself. 

Tech is very much a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' thing. Don't change something? People get angry. Do change something? People get angry.

Or, on the 'backend' of things: 99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs! Take one down, patch it around, 110 little bugs in the code!

EDIT: PS: This was probably the WORST workday morning to ask me about technology. ::P:

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Question June 10th.

...the way Smart Phones turn people into Zombies, mindlessly staring at them & madly clicking the buttons while life passes them by.

Inch worm, inch worm measuring the Marigolds.

Seems to me, you'd stop & see how beautiful they are.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Press a button for English... At least it isn't the most hated thing of all... 

"I can understand full sentences, please describe to me what you are calling about today..." 

I've yet to find a system where voice "recognition" actually got me where I wanted to be... 

I remember when they had first implemented voice recognition menus for AT&T, it usually gave you the runaround. However, if you started swearing then it immediately transferred you to customer service.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Question June 10th.

1) The obsession with having the latest upgrade/model: I honestly don't care when Apple releases the newest iPhone and the media coverage on lines waiting around the city block to get one.

2) The rise of emojis: seriously, why are we going back thousands of years to use hieroglyphics instead of written language?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Like buttons. I love when people like things but I'd rather they engage me with a comment. IG, even though it's a like driven platform, seems to be very driven by comments as well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

The stupid content vs resources race.

What is this race, you ask?

It's the tendency of battery manufacturers to make a bigger battery so the tech guys decide to make beefier programs and more power-hungry hardware to suck up all that extra juice. So instead of a longer phone/laptop/battery life it's somehow shorter because all that power is being used faster than it need to be.

It's the tendency of computers to come standard with more and more RAM so the tech guys decide to make more complex websites and buggier code and more "helpful" OSes to suck up all that extra memory. So instead of being able to run (older) GAMES on this computer I built with (older) GAMES in mind my 16GB of RAM is being used by websites and Windows and programs. Instead of being able to do WORK on my 10 year old WORK computer I can't have more than three windows open before it tries to crash despite needing a minimum of ten programs running to do my job. Instead of being able to WRITE on the chromebook I bought for WRITING and research and music and everything I need running while I write I have to bring other devices to carry the load so the danged thing stops freezing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Like buttons. I love when people like things but I'd rather they engage me with a comment. IG, even though it's a like driven platform, seems to be very driven by comments as well.

I clicked "Like" on your post.

I don't even know if I did it sarcastically or not.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Haha 10

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

Robocalls. Particularly the ones that go to cell phones. But all robocalls. If I could target all automated calling machines from ORBIT with Klingon Disruptors or Star Fleet Phasers I would turn them into wisps of smoke and smouldering puddles of slag...

The stuff @TaleSpinner mentioned annoys me too. But not as much as robocalls.

4 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Quote/commenting instead of tapping a button on your post.  Some people seem to use the like buttons as I-am-checking-this-off-as-having-been-read buttons. As far as I can tell.

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:
8 hours ago, Weird-O said:

THIS!! I hate those @$^&%#$(</$  things.

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:
8 hours ago, Weird-O said:

I'll also never understand how a luxury car company (Cadillac is especially bad for this) choose cheaper emitters that cause the light to split into two separate sets of lights - one white, the other blue, and it's a rather vibrant, headache inducing blue...  And sure, they may "look cool", but LEDs are, and always will be, extremely directional, which is not something you want in headlights!

Somebody please explain. Especially about the directional bit. I hate headlights (of whatever colour) that waste energy by illuminating a 180 degree field of view.

My eyes get along fine with all the different colour temps headlights happen in.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1