Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You, JUNE by Glitterwolf

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

What is your biggest pet peeve with modern technology?

That designers, Microsoft especially, will not write new programs that will still work with previous versions of their software.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Somebody please explain. Especially about the directional bit. I hate headlights (of whatever colour) that waste energy by illuminating a 180 degree field of view.

My eyes get along fine with all the different colour temps headlights happen in.

If all a driver had to worry about were object approaching from the opposite direction it wouldn't matter, but pedestrians and critters tend to enter your field of view from the side.  The further you can cast light to either side of the vehicle, the better chance a driver has to recognize whatever is out there.  I googled up the following, which is probably more info than anyone here wants (I certainly didn't read it all), but a quick scroll down to "figure 1" should illustrate why.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259068901_Determining_when_an_object_enters_the_headlight_beam_pattern_of_a_vehicle

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Question June 11th.

What common misconception (that is not also a beekeepers topic?!??) do you hate to hear repated as a fact?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

What common misconception (that is not also a beekeepers topic?!??) do you hate to hear repeated as a fact?

1. …nope…
  2. …nope, nope…
  3. …nope, nope, nope…
  4. …nope, not that one either….
  5. That collectively changing our clocks twice a year somehow SAVES DAYLIGHT.  :grr: :rolleyes:
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

1. …nope…
  2. …nope, nope…
  3. …nope, nope, nope…
  4. …nope, not that one either….
  5. That collectively changing our clocks twice a year somehow SAVES DAYLIGHT.  :grr: :rolleyes:

Thx for adding that part, edited the question.

Sometimes I fail to expect the possibility of wandering off to bee territory.

My own:

The idea that a dog's nose needs to be wet to indicate health.

A wet nose is fine, but it isn't true that if it's dry the dog is sick.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10

59 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

What common misconception (that is not also a beekeepers topic?!??) do you hate to hear repated as a fact?

I also had a few come to mind that were (very) redacted, so instead I'll go with a few for painting that I've heard... 

- that you need x tool to be a good painter.  It could be expensive paint, it could be ALL THE PAINT (aka 150+ bottles), it could be a type of brush, or even something like the wet palette. 

...There are numerous people out there who paint perfectly fine with craft paint, and paint to incredibly high standards.  

...We have several painters here on the forums who literally only have 11-13 bottles of paint, and do an amazing job. They just have to mix their own colours, and they don't mind such, and boy is their work gorgeous. 

...Kolinsky Sable isn't the be all end all, but they do have a very predictable feel and flow.  There are also those who prefer synthetics or hybrids as their main brush.  One does not need a single (or multiple) $20-25 brush(es) to be good at painting.

...Wet palettes are handy for a variety of reasons, but if air humidity is something you deal with all the time, a wet palette isn't going to make paint dry any faster.  Sure does help out with various techniques, and not having to rush to use up everything you've mixed before it becomes too thick again though. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

What common misconception (that is not also a beekeepers topic?!??) do you hate to hear repeated as a fact?

That being vegetarian/vegan automatically makes you more healthy.

It's not a diet where eliminating the evil meat magically makes you healthier. It's that many vegetarians/vegans are already very health conscious, exercise, balance their diets, and don't tend to dive in a pile of bacon when presented. It's just as common to find vegetarians/vegans that have many nutrient deficiencies because they don't supplement their diet correctly.

The whole world of food production and nutrition is filled with misconceptions that can be written off as marketing. You know, the whole "Eat more/less of this to gain/lose more of that."

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

It's not a diet where eliminating the evil meat magically makes you healthier. It's that many vegetarians/vegans are already very health conscious, exercise, balance their diets, and don't tend to dive in a pile of bacon when presented. It's just as common to find vegetarians/vegans that have many nutrient deficiencies because they don't supplement their diet correctly.

Where exactly is this pile of Bacon located?

Asking for a friend. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Question June 10th.

the Dongle that is required for me to use a headphone jack on my Iphone. 

there are a halfdozen headphones around the house, but if I loose the one dongle i'm done. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

That touching a baby bird will result in the mother abandoning it. Used to get that one all the time when I volunteered at a wildlife rehab clinic. Not true. You can just put them back up in the tree and the parents will happily lead it back to the nest no problem. Pretty much the same for all wildlife, leave it alone or at most put it back near its home (if you can find it), and it will manage itself. Also, the concept of the "Alpha Wolf." That's based on observations of wolves in zoos, where pack formation is quite different than in nature where it is typically a family unit. The "alpha" in nature is basically just mom and dad, not a result of some sort of dominance competition among members. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

American Cheese.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Question June 11th.

What common misconception (that is not also a beekeepers topic?!??) do you hate to hear repeated as a fact?

Coffee is bad for you.   When taken in moderation (without large amounts of sugar or cream) it has quite a few health benefits, provides hydration (and does not dehydrate you), and may lower your risk for a number of common diseases. 

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

The whole world of food production and nutrition is filled with misconceptions that can be written off as marketing. You know, the whole "Eat more/less of this to gain/lose more of that."

^^^^ This.   Especially the concept of ingesting/bathing in certain substances that will somehow "purge" or "cleanse"  your body of anything from toxic chemicals to unwanted fat. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 6/10/2020 at 12:15 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 10th.

That it rarely works as described. So much time wasted with solving glitches. 2nd would be that it doesn't last. Between built in obsolescence and cheap quality control things are constantly being repaired and replaced.

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 11th.

Running the edge of buzzy territory here but, The Oil and Gas industry (and coal) are evil and unnecessary.  Yeah there are some bad examples out there and always room for improvement but tell me one thing that we have today that doesn't rely on fossil fuels. I haven't heard of any luddite colonies using stone age tech to live and anything above that uses fossil fuels. Even my wife's organic home grown garden relies on diesel and gas to work it up and uses steel tools which needed coal to make.

And just because I'm already on the edge of buzz another that really makes me mad. The cattle (and other livestock) industries are cruel and destroying the planet. Come visit me and compare my ranch to any town and tell me I'm the bad one. Thousands of acres of grassland, streams and small woodlands, hundreds of acres of hay land and a few hundred acres of cultivated farm land. My farm is marginal land with about half of it not being usable for anything other than livestock and the other half being so poor you'd go broke trying to grow human feed on it. Believe me we try to supplement our income that way. While I'm not a fan of factory farms and large feedlots they are a necessary thing to feed the cities. Contrary to what some believe they are not taking food away from people. The animals are feed grain that was generally deemed not fit for humans. Any farmer would gladly take the higher price for good grain but this gives them a place to sell produce that may otherwise not have been usable. Livestock allow us to use resources that otherwise would go to waste. And don't get me started on how cow farts are destroying the atmosphere but hypocrites in gas guzzling planes and cars is just fine.

Rant off.

Edited by Zink
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Question June 11th.

What common misconception (that is not also a beekeepers topic?!??) do you hate to hear repated as a fact?

That JK Rowling created many of the common tropes in YA and Fantasy fiction with the Harry Potter series. I can't tell you how many people I have heard recently say, "Well this is just a blatant rip off of Harry Potter. Or this is just like Harry Potter." The most recent was someone saying that Gandalf was basically a carbon copy of Dumbledore, and that it was a shame he couldn't be more original. Same person went on to state, as fact, that Lord of the Rings had stolen the entire plot of the Harry Potter series as they are, "Basically the exact same story."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Question June 11th.

That violent or 'aggressive' media causes violence and aggression. It's most often pointed at video games but it comes up for movies and (less often) music. It's a lot less common now than it used to be, but you still see it brought up.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3