Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You, JUNE by Glitterwolf

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

When working from home, are you more, or less productive???

Considerably more productive.  I code XML publishing systems and end user, technical information publications, so I can do my job from pretty much anywhere I have my laptop, a couple extra monitors, and a good connection to the internet.

For years my company has been dead set against letting us work from home; COVID is showing them a new way.  Now the president is talking about maybe making this a permanent part of our jobs, so I am pretty sure I'm not the only one who's getting more done.

When I am at work I am in a cube farm environment, so there are always distractions and interruptions; here I can laser-focus on the problems I am working to solve.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Small dogs. Little arseholes.

Hey! My small dog tries extra hard to be good. He's dumb as a rock, so it doesn't always work out. But he tries!

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

Those parts of the job I can do from home have been getting done in a pretty efficient manner since I started this back in March. So more productive in terms of office stuff. But since most of my job has to take place outdoors, and all of that has been suspended for the time being, I'd say I'm overall way less productive. But hopefully we'll be back in the field here in about 3 weeks. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question June 16th.

Being a delivery driver, I would argue that working from home is something difficult, not to mention illegal (at this time) to do from home...  Especially with how I drive in games!  We won't comment on the insanity that was my driving in Saints Row 3 and 4, and especially won't comment on how I drove in Watch_Dogs....  Make it something like Project Cars or Assetto Corsa and I actually drive a lot better, but that's also because I'm aiming for lap times! 

If it were any other kind of job, it's hard to say.  I would definitely want it's own dedicated space, that's for sure - right now having the same space where I'm effectively on call being the exact same space where I relax isn't helping, at least as time progresses further.  I treat the "every other week off" that's paid as if I'm on call, simply because uh, yeah, they can and will call other drivers in if they have to. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question June 16th.

I’ve never had a job I can do from home.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question June 16th.

Yes.

If I'm motivated and doing something interesting, I can crank some tunes and be far more productive than at work, where every person walking by I find distracting (there is a reason at my old job I worked to get a cubicle tucked in a corner at the end of of a cul-de-sac).  Interruptions disrupt my focus and reduce my productivity.

On the other hand, if I'm doing something painfully boring (like documenting or preparing change tickets) being at home gives more more options to distract myself (as he answers a question on the forums at 10 am.....:poke:)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

Both. I'm back in the building now, but I was able to get a few projects done at home that I didn't have time for when I was in the building. Not having to do much support makes a lot more time to focus on projects! Though the support I did have to do was much more enjoyable, I was going to people's houses and sitting on their porches. I could get used to that, like a country doctor or something.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

Home is my work. I have to be here to cook and do laundry, pay bills, take care of the cats and garden and do all the other things that need done around here.  Sometime my work involves going out, maybe to the hardware store, or to take one of the cars for service, but usually I'm at home. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

Though it hasn't happened in years, it doesn't feel more productive. Not better, not worse. Just different.

I don't have a dedicated work space at home. I like having the confines of a work environment, a schedule and deadlines with no side thoughts about housekeeping, cooking, hobbying or errands I could be running instead of working.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

I haven't had to work from home yet. I'd probably be less productive though. Although, I would probably be tied up setting up other people to work from home. So I would be busy, but not very productive.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

Unproductive.

I have my work space and it's at work. That's where I do work.

I have my home space and it's home. That's where I don't do work.

My sanity is based on that separation of life and work. I've tried to smear that separation before and it lead to going on strike against myself and the loss of several opportunities. It's not a thing I can do.

I have turned down telework multiple times this plague. I've been informed I will have one last chance to give in and accept telework into my life or the IRS will make me go back into that building and I will never be offered telework again for the duration of my entire career. Fine. Come at me. I choose the building.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

I'd say less, but those are mostly resolvable equipment issues, such as a lack of access to a second monitor, or a printer, plus the inevitable reduction in bandwidth when it comes to home-to-office data links versus in-office.

On the other hand, like others have mentioned, there's definitely something to be said for the ability to focus on a single task and just crank.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Unproductive.

I have my work space and it's at work. That's where I do work.

I have my home space and it's home. That's where I don't do work.

My sanity is based on that separation of life and work. I've tried to smear that separation before and it lead to going on strike against myself and the loss of several opportunities. It's not a thing I can do.

I'm living this issue.  The only space in the house quiet and kid free enough for me to work is in my basement studio, so while I am being very productive in my day job, I am having difficulties facing the studio in the  evenings.  The net result is that I am not getting nearly as much sculpting done as I used to.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Home is my work. I have to be here to cook and do laundry, pay bills, take care of the cats and garden and do all the other things that need done around here.  Sometime my work involves going out, maybe to the hardware store, or to take one of the cars for service, but usually I'm at home. 

#dreamjob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I’ve never had a job I can do from home.

This.

If I did have such a job, I imagine, currently, I would be less productive given the amount of people and animals that live here. If I lived in my own space, with only my labradors, it could be a different story. My dogs have a nice schedule they abide by, but humans and cats throw wrenches into everything.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 16th.

I can't do my job from home so...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1