Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You, JUNE by Glitterwolf

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

The Kardashians. Any/all of them.

What's not to get? Expansionist, aggressive, scheming lizard people? Just because they're so often portrayed as villains, doesn't mean they are. Not all of them anyway. The occupation of Bajor, and the atrocities at Terok Nor were all regrettable, and the castellan has issued several proclamations, and as soon as they've had a chance to recover from the Dominion War will be sending reparations to Bajor.

What more do you want?  :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

14 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Watching streaming on phones.  You have a 70" TV and look at a 7" phone?  Get real folks!

I watch/listen to YouTube all the time on my phone, but I'm usually listening to it while travelling, shopping, driving, working, etc. It's mostly news shows and stand-up comedy, so I don't need to look at it, per se. I just need to be able to hear it most of the time.

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

What's not to get? Expansionist, aggressive, scheming lizard people? Just because they're so often portrayed as villains, doesn't mean they are. Not all of them anyway. The occupation of Bajor, and the atrocities at Terok Nor were all regrettable, and the castellan has issued several proclamations, and as soon as they've had a chance to recover from the Dominion War will be sending reparations to Bajor.

What more do you want?  :poke:

457e15988449182cff1824516c59e5d7.jpg.60238977ee904fcf0c87dec3b7cbff01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, VitM said:
11 hours ago, TGP said:

You have to have lived there. Dr. Pendrake prescribes a road trip: Midland to Amarillo by hired car. Fly in to Midland, rent something from Hertz, drop it off in Amarillo. (…there's a game store or two along the way in Lubbock if you time it right…) That should do it.

What is special about that particular stretch of Texas?

Absolutely nothing. Which is the partly point.

It was longest, emptiest road trip I could think of offhand. And the main point would be how much empty landscape there is….

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, TGP said:

Absolutely nothing. Which is the partly point.

It was longest, emptiest road trip I could think of offhand. And the main point would be how much empty landscape there is….

Sounds like some of the places near me. Central Montana and south east Alberta are pretty empty without even any small towns for long stretches. Some pretty country if you hit the right spots but a whole lot of flat nothing too.

• Like 5

Question June 30th.

What social customs do you wish would just disappear?

( Again beware of beekeeper stuff)

And with this question WOOF will now hand over the Questor Robes, The Staff of Interrogation and the Potions of Truth Serum to @TaleSpinner who has ways to make you talk next month.

Thank you all for participating and rest assured the obtained knowledge is in good paws with WOOF.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

Having to network, brown nose, and "know somebody" to get ahead at work. People should be rewarded for the job they do, not how well they play the workplace politics game.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Handshaking.  I think we are far enough along in society now, that one can assume I am not hiding a knife in my hand when meeting me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Zink said:

Sounds like some of the places near me. Central Montana and south east Alberta are pretty empty without even any small towns for long stretches. Some pretty country if you hit the right spots but a whole lot of flat nothing too.

Definitely agree on this.  Highway 2 from Edmonton to Calgary is only just over three hours of driving, but for a lot of drivers, there's a reason they take a stretch break at the middle point - Gasoline Alley in the outskirts of Red Deer...  It's a long, very, VERY boring drive. 

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

And with this question WOOF will now hand over the Questor Robes, The Staff of Interrogation and the Potions of Truth Serum to @TaleSpinner who has ways to make you talk next month.

Thank you all for participating and rest assured the obtained knowledge is in good paws with WOOF.

I'm going to go with the over-reliance on email and texting as forms of communication.  Don't get me wrong, they are useful, especially for getting the same info out to a lot of people, but so many seem to forget that just because they're at the computer for 8+ hours and can respond quickly it doesn't mean every one can. 

Or, re-wording such, people assuming that because it sends immediately they will receive an almost immediate response. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

"Professionalism" as a concept of behavioral constraint.  Rather, when the concept is used to dehumanize people and present the expectation that they should, at all times, be emotionless robots while carrying out tasks.  It's the tone policing of the workplace; the entitlement of being served without having to regard the servant; the petty tyranny that each individual needs to learn to suffer in silence rather than maybe we should all learn and be expected to be nicer to one another.  It's the attitude of someone who insists that it is their right to be a jerk to waitstaff, without retribution or complaint.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a balance, or some standard of social decorum, but rather your place in whatever hierarchy should not afford you unfettered freedom to "punch down" as it were.

Maybe I'm still musing on the HUMAN documentary though. :lol:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

In the Netherlands we have this habit of giving 3 kisses ( on the cheeck, thank the Lord!) when we greet someone of the opposite sex.

I would not mind if this stopped.

Feels awkward every now and then, and I tend to not do it if I can get away with it.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

The need to hug people every time you see them. I'm not a big hugger and so never expect it when it comes out of nowhere. Then when it happens I just tense up and the whole situation becomes awkward. And even worse, there are those, who upon learning of this, make it point to try and hug me each time I see them like I'm suddenly going to love hugs or something. With some of my friends I feel like I need to have a hula hoop or something around me with a sign on it that says "if you are this close your greeting has become way too personal."

Anyhow, thank you for the month of questions.

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

In a Society that is becoming progressively more antisocial, I think hanging on to the customs we have might be a good idea.

Thanks for your efforts over the last month, Glitter. WELL DONE THAT GLITTERY WOLF!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Definitely agree on this.  Highway 2 from Edmonton to Calgary is only just over three hours of driving, but for a lot of drivers, there's a reason they take a stretch break at the middle point - Gasoline Alley in the outskirts of Red Deer...  It's a long, very, VERY boring drive. 

I'm going to go with the over-reliance on email and texting as forms of communication.  Don't get me wrong, they are useful, especially for getting the same info out to a lot of people, but so many seem to forget that just because they're at the computer for 8+ hours and can respond quickly it doesn't mean every one can. 

Or, re-wording such, people assuming that because it sends immediately they will receive an almost immediate response. 

I have a cousin that lives in Hardisty. When she moved there she was annoyed by so many people saying, "You're from Saskatchewan? Sure is flat there!" She'd say, "Have you looked around here? We had way bigger hills where I grew up than you do!" 

People expecting instant replies irritates me. I do my best but cell coverage is crappy here and I don't carry my phone all the time. Leave a message/text and I'll get back to you when I'm near a landline of sitting on top of a hill in sight of the nearest cell tower (if I have my phone). I just spent 4 days trying to get in touch with a neighbour because we're both this way. Whenever we'd try eachother's cells the other guy was out of signal range and the house phones weren't much use when we were working all day.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

Christmas gifts expected for anyone over 16 years old.  After that, the holiday gift should be attention,  company,  affection, socialization,  not material things.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 30th.

Being expected to listen to someone just because they're your elder. I learned long ago that age doesn't give wisdom, nor does it mean that they're looking out for your best interests.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3