Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Getting to Know You, JUNE by Glitterwolf

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 2nd.

What is one thing you're glad you tried but would never do again?

SCA style, armoured, sword and board fighting. Planks and sticks. 

Not ever gonna be able to do that again.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question June 3rd.

When people come to you for help, what do they usually want help with?

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

They want help with writing!  My wife and a few of my coworkers are non-native speakers of English, and though they speak rather well, they struggle with the written word.  So when they have something they need proofread or grammar-corrected, or if they need help composing something in writing, they come to me.  They’ll also come to me when there’s something that needs to be read and explained accurately, like technical instructions.  I think it has something to do with being perceived as highly educated and being a former college instructor.

I also help my high school-aged sons correct their writing homework.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

Yes, Mordenkainen's Third Principle of Transmogrification, as Applied to Mass Transmutative Effects. A lot of people have no problem with individual targets, but can't seem to wrap their heads around how to stretch the dweomer to encompass multiple organisms.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

It seems people often come to me when they have a conflict of some sorts with others ( being personal or work related) and ask my advice about how to sort it out/discuss it with the person involved.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

It varies. There is no usually. Here are some samples going backwards in time:

How to make puddles into clouds. 
How to make dragon spines. 
How to measure a forest dragon. 

How to add windows on (tiny) buildings. 
Wrapping Christmas presents. 
Getting a ride to an eye doctor. 
How to work obscure commands in a software called AutoTrol. 
How to match layers and colors used by CATIA. 
How to reconnect to a laser printer on a Unix network. 

I am a renaissance grifffon. 

:blues:

I am also pig-ignorant on an alarming variety of subjects. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

At work people normally want help with data transformations using xslt, or just help understanding how the various pieces of our systems interact (I've been working with various parts of these systems for the better part of 13 years, I think I have a better understanding of the systems than most of the developers who work on them)

otherwise, it's help finding information more broadly (I'm not a librarian by qualification...really)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

Broadly speaking, people come to me for help with building, fixing, or improving things.  These don't always have to be physical objects; sometimes they can be things like mental states, relationships, events, writing, or perspectives. 

Though sometimes people just need me to lift or move heavy objects. :lol: 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

Not much nowadays, but in the past I somehow became peoples go-to guy for help with computer and tech problems (despite not really knowing anything beyond what the average person could figure out for themselves).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Question June 3rd.

At work, it's usually getting a rush sorted out, or to take perfectly good product that doesn't look perfect (damaged packaging, a case of coffee that doesn't have 42 pouches in it, etc) to the food bank.  Since I was the one who started doing such years ago, I've kind of become the main person for such, which I don't mind, since it usually means I get off a little earlier, and I like the staff there too. 

At home? It's usually a math question, and occasionally Google Sheets formatting, although the second half hubby has picked up a number of tricks I never would have thought about! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Question June 3rd.

Depends on the situation:

Work: 

- Fixing the pubs systems

- Toro Pubs history knowledge (I've been there 23 years)

- Linguistics/communications expertise

Personal Life:

- Nature knowledge

- Sculpting stuff to customize minis

- Making jewelry

- Gardening advice

- 3D printing

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Question June 3rd.

"Oh you work in IT? I have this problem with my <computer, phone, tablet, random electronic device> "  :upside:

Which reminds me, mom is supposed to call about a problem she's having with her email sometime this week......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Question June 3rd.

When I was living with my sons on Long Island the requests were usually for food, laundry, & some sewing...mending holes that is.

Now Cap'n John needs help with doing the bills & driving. Finding a movie to watch at night is another thing I do.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:03 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 2nd.

What is one thing you're glad you tried but would never do again?

Letting my Brother in Law take lead on a hike through the woods. I'm glad I did it though because for the last 24 years whenever he says "let's go this way" on a hike I can respond with "Remember December 28, 1996 where you led us on a hike in West Virginia and we didn't see another road until we were in Maryland?" 

On 6/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I thought of another one: Gin.

Agreed. My wife loves gin but I can't stand the stuff. She can't make drinks though so I'm always stuck mixing her martinis for her.

16 hours ago, Auberon said:

I concur on Gin, though perhaps there is some other purpose it could be used for.

I use my wife's gin as a food safe sanitizer solution in the airlocks of my homebrew fermenters. No infection is getting through that. My wife does not know this though.

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

Working for my state's EPA when folks come to me for help it's because someone upstream from them has filled in a wetland or stream, dumped some sort of horrible chemical or agricultural waste into a water body, or in one instance piled up a bunch of trash along a stream going through a quiet suburb then lit it on fire and pushed it in (his excuse was he was trying to take care of the beavers). Then they find their homes or properties suddenly underwater or their streams inundated with dead fish or manure. Then I put on the mean face, bring in our contacts at the Army Corps and go scare someone until they clean up their mess. From a non-workplace stand, I'm a bigger guy so I get requests to help move heavy objects up stairs pretty often. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question June 3rd.

Two things come up constantly, be it at work or family:

• Can you help me with the computer?
  • Can you help me print this thing?

I don't even consider myself a computer guy anymore, but as a computer geek of the 80s and 90s, my general knowledge is far above average. DOS prompts; programming in Basic; creating your own autoexec.bat file; custom 14.4kbps modem strings; manually setting IRQ pins on your hardware; building several desktops from scratch; tweaking the hell out of Windows 95/98/XP. 

A lot of that knowledge sticks around.

Even IT guys at work quickly recognize me as being an unofficial backup for my department for basic service calls. No, I won't start fiddling with the cables in the server room, but I can help you with your page formatting so it prints right.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1