Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Anyone else getting spoiled?

The other day I was assembling, basing, and cleaning up a metal miniature; having to pin and drill and what not. It dawned on me how much more intensive and irritating I found the process as compared to just rinsing off a Bones figure and dropping a base coat and getting started. Is anyone else experiencing similar feelings?

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Adrift said:

The other day I was assembling, basing, and cleaning up a metal miniature; having to pin and drill and what not. It dawned on me how much more intensive and irritating I found the process as compared to just rinsing off a Bones figure and dropping a base coat and getting started. Is anyone else experiencing similar feelings?

I have recently started to print 3D minis, and while there is lots of work on those I prefer it to assembling flimsy metal ones like some companies have.

Bones and especially the new formula is also awesome, prime and paint.

• Like 8

Regarding the pinning or lack thereof part - yeah. That is vastly easier on Bones in general. Drilling a hole in metal is a slog, and getting it fit right is a pain in the butt. Even if it needs a pin in addition to the tab for Bones, it tends to go well. Gap filling is still annoying though regardless of material.

I actually find metal and resin a little easier on cleanup though. Bones doesn't take a file well, and knives go through easy enough that it is too easy to fudge up a mold line on an inconvenient area. Metal and resin are slower on that, and you can file them better.

I also have decided that I prefer Bones with primer; the 1st coat thing is just too finicky for me. I airbrush prime them as I would with my other material figures. Keeps things consistent.

• Like 6

I still like metal minis for many character figures. I also like plastic, but I can almost never pull them out, prime and paint. Still have to do mold line removal, which is usually harder on Bonesium, and sometimes gap fill. A couple preassembled Bones minis have alignment issues, one I couldn't fix at all. For me pinning metal minis is kinda fun sometimes. I usually pin resin minis too. That said, I've also had to pin several larger Bones minis to keep them from flopping over. Every material has it's pros and cons. I'm a big fan of the Bones black and the WizKids material though. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I'm a big fan of the Bones black and the WizKids material though. 

I've never seen WizKids out of the package, other than pictures, but I've heard mostly good about them to this point.  Does WizKids keep their minis in stock perpetually like Reaper Bones (other than sometimes very long gaps when trying to restock something).  Does WizKids have a replacement policy like Reaper if your mini has missing pieces, a miscast or bad preassembly?  I believe I've heard the detail is similar to Bones Black and that the mold lines clean up in a similar manner.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I've never seen WizKids out of the package, other than pictures, but I've heard mostly good about them to this point.  Does WizKids keep their minis in stock perpetually like Reaper Bones (other than sometimes very long gaps when trying to restock something).  Does WizKids have a replacement policy like Reaper if your mini has missing pieces, a miscast or bad preassembly?  I believe I've heard the detail is similar to Bones Black and that the mold lines clean up in a similar manner.

I don't know first hand about WizKid's replacement policy. I've never had an issue with any. I've read a couple posts from people who needed replacements and they said they got them. Yes, they certainly do sell out of some popular packs, and it can take time for them to restock since, like Reaper, they seem to order replacements in batches (when they need several SKUs replaced). I think the demand for WizKids unpainted minis caught them off guard and seems to be growing. Material wise, I much prefer the WizKids material over Bones and slightly prefer it over Bones Black. I find it easier to remove mold lines from WizKids minis. I detest the primer coat they use though. Stuff is awful. Needs to be reformulated or simply abandoned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I’m not a fan of the thick Vallejo primer coat they drench WizKids minis with; ive painted two thri-kreen, the orc on warg, skellie on horse and it solidified my dislike of the primer. 

I don’t actually remove most mold lines on my Bones, I find that as I paint them the mold lines don’t bother me much and I’m just doing those as tabletop, or slightly better and I ignore them. No one has jumped on something I’ve posted and indicated that they could even tell. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yeah WizKids annoys the heck out of me. Not necessarily the material, but the hit-or-miss level of casting quality (some NASTY mold lines frequently), and they're always preassembled. The assembly often isn't very good, and often blocks a paintbrush. I'll get stuff for tabletop or really good sculpts (like the beholder) but otherwise, bleh.

Bones is for big stuff and flingables. Metal and resin is for art-painting.

• Like 8

I got spoiled with Reaper in the 90's because their metal casting was just so much cleaner than anyone else's. Sometimes I pull out the other brands and look at the mold lines and just sigh.  I find the mold lines on the Bones more irritating, like Cyradis says they don't file well and it's too easy to shred with a knife.  They are much easier to re-base and convert, however. 

• Like 6

I... Like work with metal minis, but it definitely does depend on how they're designed.  While I love a lot of Infinity models, some are downright annoying to assemble - and keep assembled. 

Most metal Reaper Minis I absolutely love, especially for how clean they typically are from mold lines and such! 

• Like 4