Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Considering this is a Reaper forum, I don't post nearly enough Reaper stuff!
Going to try remedying that by slowly going through that big box of Bones V I've got perched on top of my stack of unpainted things.
I'm starting with Hercules (Didn't expect him to be my first choice, but I have been watching a lot of Greek Myth stuff on Youtube lately):-
This is after I've prepped him, primed him, had a second go at the mold-lines (I'm trying to get better at this), re-primed and finally given a Brown Wash.
Got a little problem going on with his right arm, from the back it's all bulging muscle, but from the front the gap between his bicep and club is filled in with something. Not sure how to fix this, so I decided to paint it as part of his lion cape (And hope no one notices the two halves don't line up).
Huh, mystery solved. Looking at it now in these piccys, I can see that weird bit of arm is actually his thumb.
Painted his lion cape first (I'm a messy drybrusher).
This was a base of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow, then a Brown Wash, then drybrushes of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow and Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Bonewhite.
While the mane and tail end were a base of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Leather Brown, Brown Wash and drybrushes of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Leather Brown and Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Leather Brown/Bonewhite.
Finally, it got Bonewhite claws, Dwarf Skin paw pads and then everything got Sepia Wash.
While I'm on the computer I need to see if lions have special noses, if not then tomorrow I start on the skin of Hercules!
I realize it's not the weekend, when I usually post up my work, but I'm on a roll lately and decided to push my luck.
I'm trying to continue to push the values, contrast, and simplify my colors.
Tried to keep her to hero colors: Blue, Purple, Red, and some leather.
The real win in this model was the hair. I'm so, so, so, so happy with the hair. Sure, it's on the bold yellow of blonde, but I got the volumes of it. Finally! I've taken a lot of feedback on the hair and just didn't get it. This one finally lined up and blonde felt doable. Keeping the highlights toward where the light hits the bend in the hair has been really tough for me, so this was a win.
Other feedback I used from prior posts that I was given:
1. Used brown liner to, well, brown line things.
2. Pushed the colors as high as I could. Actually the boots are a good example I went too far and it looks less blended.
3. Layered the paint lighter and took more layers to get desired result.
4. Have your palette out first and don't just keep reaching for the next color. (Big, big win)
The areas that still needed help are her skin, the eyes, that weird leather satchel, the detail on the leather straps, edge highlighting, but all that - I still think the hair was my happy moment.
Here's the pictures of the progress.
By the time I got here, I was struggling and really, really rethinking my color choices. I accidently used the purple in the area I meant to use tan. Just keep going with it because that's a learning experience in itself.
Here is where I darkened the leather and red areas with a succubus kiss wash. I needed to deepen the leather color and help bring some shade forward. Questionable doing that again...
Tried to give her blue eyes and then realized that was not working. Went right back to the black dot. Wah wah.
Got this one done and feeling pretty good about it. I'm leaning into thinner paints and smoother transitions. This was a fun one.
As always I'd love your feedback.
(I love his shield)
Presenting the Frost Giant Heroine from Reaper.
Not my best work, I'm still not great at getting all the mold-lines off these PVC minis, plus I was painting her to help work through some issues I was having so she's a bit on the rough and basic side.
Was still a lot of fun to paint up though, I'll have to get the other one done now.
As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
One of the others I plucked out of the Bones 4 set. It looked fun, so I grabbed it.
* Armor was a fun use of blues added in. I watched Dr. Faust doing something similar to create some really cool effects. Mine obviously not as good, but I think it was alright.
* The skin was a big win for me. I did it as a nice, slow build up and took my time with laying it up. It worked great on her face.
* I was getting lost in the tid bits on her belt, but just used browns and then hlghlighted them up. It actually worked out pretty well. Better than I intended.
* Cape was a slight win, but not perfect.
* Hair went better this time, but I'm still having a hard time pointing out where the light hights on the curved areas.
* NMM on swords. I tried it again and then failed. Wiped it out and covered it up with metallic.
* Flower should have been left with orange color and white tips, but I went too far by connecting the tips across. It lost the deail going with more white. Should have stopped.
* I started using purple ink to separate the plates, but it just wasn't working. I think I need to do more blacklining and not worry about adding in colors.
Overall, she looks good. The win here was the face and some of the highlights.
Progress photo (nearly last photo before finishing it off)