Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Massive Darkness 2 - 8/4

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KruleBear said:

 

I feel the same way and love the original Massive Darkness. It doesn’t hurt that I have way too many minis and games. 

 

 

This concerns me too. I have at least two from them awaiting delivery and I know I haven’t backed all their recent Kisckstarters. 

 

I keep reminding myself that their customer support for retail purchases in the US is through Asmodee now and I shouldn't support companies who treat their retail customers that badly. If you can't buy things post kickstarter with confidence in the company it definitely cools the desire to support the company on kickstarter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cmorse said:

 

I keep reminding myself that their customer support for retail purchases in the US is through Asmodee now and I shouldn't support companies who treat their retail customers that badly. If you can't buy things post kickstarter with confidence in the company it definitely cools the desire to support the company on kickstarter.

 

Add to that the fact that even for the KS, if your package gets lost or stolen (as is increasingly common these days), CMON’s official policy is to tell you to pound sand. This despite the fact that they choose the carrier, the terms of carriage, and the level of insurance (presumably none), leaving you with no way to mitigate your risk of loss. 

 

This is what happened to my time machine pledge, which was supposedly delivered (though there was no knock or bell) but wasn’t there ten minutes later when I got an email from FedEx (which only happened because I’m independently signed up for them, not because of CMON’s notoriously tardy shipment notification system).

 

I have shelves packed with previous KS and retail purchases from CMON. Never again. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

 

And (just to put that out here):

how many of CMON's project have not yet been delivered? Yeah, they are an established company, so in the past, I was willing to accept two or three projects that had not yet been fulfilled ... but now?

 

 

 

Plus, as far as I can tell, their stock is still suspended from trading (since they failed to obtain the necessary audit certification in April). Their auditor refused to issue an opinion stating the company was solvent, and then the independent directors on their board’s audit committee left. Both of which are pretty huge red flags with respect to their financial ability to fulfill their existing obligations without using funds from new projects to pay for old ones. And that was before the effects of covid really started to bite. They may do just fine in the end, but assuming they will certainly deliver because they’ve been established in the past is much riskier than before. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to love those miniatures, because some of the artwork looks rather cool und unique and you don't see many angel/fey type figures as enemy groups. But something about it just isn't gripping me as it should. Maybe getting better/easier to read shots of the figures would help. I barely understand what's going on with some of the more complex models (like the Reaper) and the angel minions look like they have stumpy legs from this angle.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching, but just not very excited about this for some reason.  We had fun with the original game, but only played it a few times.  Don't really want to throw more money into a game I'll probably never play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tasso said:

 

Add to that the fact that even for the KS, if your package gets lost or stolen (as is increasingly common these days), CMON’s official policy is to tell you to pound sand. This despite the fact that they choose the carrier, the terms of carriage, and the level of insurance (presumably none), leaving you with no way to mitigate your risk of loss. 

 

This is what happened to my time machine pledge, which was supposedly delivered (though there was no knock or bell) but wasn’t there ten minutes later when I got an email from FedEx (which only happened because I’m independently signed up for them, not because of CMON’s notoriously tardy shipment notification system).

 

 

That's sad to hear. I've had experience with their customer service for screwed up orders and lost packages in the past, and while they took a long time, they did get me or my friend what we ordered.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really not digging the minis for this campaign at the moment, not enough monsters going on for my liking.

 

Will stick to the end, but likely to drop out if they continue as they are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, talion78 said:

Really not digging the minis for this campaign at the moment, not enough monsters going on for my liking.

 

Will stick to the end, but likely to drop out if they continue as they are.

 

But what about all those Kickstarter exclusives!? Your life will be so much better if you had them. Imagine going to a party and bringing them along to show off. The guys will be jealous, the ladies fawning over you, all impressed by your amazing ability to back this Kickstarter that they didn't! They'll all be so impressed with your investment insight that they'll just start throwing money at you, making this $100 investment (plus probably another $500 in shipping because it's CMON) trivialized with your new Bezosian wealth!

 

Or you could not back it. If it makes you feel better, I'm sure there is technically a chance that you won't spend the rest of your life regretting it...

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spodi said:

 

But what about all those Kickstarter exclusives!? Your life will be so much better if you had them. Imagine going to a party and bringing them along to show off. The guys will be jealous, the ladies fawning over you, all impressed by your amazing ability to back this Kickstarter that they didn't! They'll all be so impressed with your investment insight that they'll just start throwing money at you, making this $100 investment (plus probably another $500 in shipping because it's CMON) trivialized with your new Bezosian wealth!

 

Or you could not back it. If it makes you feel better, I'm sure there is technically a chance that you won't spend the rest of your life regretting it...

 

Now you've really made the decision harder.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I detect the faintest scent of sarcasm there, the KS exclusives really did make the original Massive Darkness a significantly better game. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CashWiley said:

While I detect the faintest scent of sarcasm there, the KS exclusives really did make the original Massive Darkness a significantly better game. 

IMHO that's an argument against KS exclusives.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jadeite said:

IMHO that's an argument against KS exclusives.

 

Exactly. While many others take the approach of "you can get it later at retail, just for a higher price", CMON isn't ashamed to say taunt you with "get it now or never!" to boost their backers. You can get it later in retail, and for CMON, not too hard to find sales that are half the price of the Kickstarter, but also with far less (optional) content.

 

 

But that optional content is often quite good, and even as far as just the miniatures go, is often a great price. That is why I still back quite a few of CMON's projects, including this one. They're shameless in the FOMO, but it works because what you are missing out on is great for those who end up liking the game. It just sucks for those who don't have the disposable income at the time, don't see the Kickstarter in time, or any other reason that makes them want the game but only after the Kickstarter ends. You end up feeling like you got just the lesser "basic" edition. That is why their Vault kickstarter worked out so well for them, despite being a bit of a hot mess...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, odinsgrandson said:

 

 

That's sad to hear. I've had experience with their customer service for screwed up orders and lost packages in the past, and while they took a long time, they did get me or my friend what we ordered.

 

I have to update this. A couple days after that post, CMON wrote to tell me they were replacing everything they could and refunding the rest. The original package went missing in late April, but better late than never. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last update showed a lot of the miniatures the KS started with in more detail, similar to the stredge goals, which I appreciate. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/massive-darkness-2-hellscape/posts/2925378

 

I'm going back and forth on this one. I really like that the miniatures are so "out there" and I don't have many angels in my collection. I'm not sure how much I'd use them, though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Gadgetman!
      A huge 2 for 1 KS!  
      (You get BOTH Humans and Halflings in one project! )
      Bloody Peasants! by Midlam Miniatures — Kickstarter
       
      Story
      "Oh no!  It's an armed agrarian uprising!"
      Toiling in the fields for their feudal overlords, the peasants are equally quick to turn their tools to defending their lands from monstrous invaders or, when pressed to the limit, revolting and overturning cruel and greedy landowners.
      Bloody Peasants!
      A selection of human and halfling farmers in 28mm scale miniatures for all of your fantasy games.
      You can choose from humans, halflings or both!
      The Humans
      A familiar sight in the villages surrounding Midlam.
      The Halflings
      A smaller folk, doing the same jobs as the longshanks.
       
       
       
      It's a Midlam project, so you know what that means;
      Maybe a stretch goal, very possibly an early fulfillment, and absolutely no nonsense. 
       
       
    • By Pezler the Polychromatic
      Fantasy Football female dwarves created by Martin Pirsch, the man behind Chaos Spawn Miniatures. Still a couple of days left, take a look:
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cs-minis/female-fantasy-football-dwarves/description
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impactminiatures/chibi-pony-adventurers-miniatures-2-digital-stl-and-physical/







      The Project

      This is our 12th Chibi miniatures project. Over the last 5 years at conventions, our Pony Chibi from our previous KickStarters are always the most popular figures and we love hearing the happy sounds of people seeing them for the first time in the display cases. Now as technology has greatly changed we wanted to add new ponies and accessories to the model line and now offer them to everyone as digital models to print at home for yourself!

      The Miniatures
      The digital models will be sent as STL one piece models within a month of the project ending. Models will be sent without supports (we will have a stretch goal to buy software and add supports to all the files).

      Due to Stretch Goal #1, the ponies will also be provided with STLs for the different components of the models, so you can use a free product like Meshmixer to mix and match parts from the different models to create your own ponies.

      In addition, if you want the models will be available as physical one piece 3-D prints as well in super high quality resin prints. Prints will be grey and will come with bases (as most are not free standing models)

      The miniatures will come in two sizes. The base pony figures will normally be 30mm tall to the top of the figurine's head and a couple large pony figures will normally be 50mm tall to the top of the figurine's head (the Nightmare and Kirin are large ponies)
       
    • By jadeite
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unchartedrealms/uncharted-realms-hunters-of-the-shadow-sea-re-launch?

       
      This time they have 150 EB slots (35$ instead of 40$) for minis + terrain. They also added a 220$ level that gets you all the add-ons (but not everything from their previous campaigns).
    • By zemjw
      Old school style 28mm Dwarf cavalry. KS is live with loads of time to go
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicpanic/28mm-multi-part-dwarven-cavalry-miniatures-by-satanic-panic/
       

       

  • Who's Online   26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...