Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Massive Darkness 2 - 8/4

2 hours ago, KruleBear said:

I feel the same way and love the original Massive Darkness. It doesn’t hurt that I have way too many minis and games. 

This concerns me too. I have at least two from them awaiting delivery and I know I haven’t backed all their recent Kisckstarters. 

I keep reminding myself that their customer support for retail purchases in the US is through Asmodee now and I shouldn't support companies who treat their retail customers that badly. If you can't buy things post kickstarter with confidence in the company it definitely cools the desire to support the company on kickstarter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cmorse said:

I keep reminding myself that their customer support for retail purchases in the US is through Asmodee now and I shouldn't support companies who treat their retail customers that badly. If you can't buy things post kickstarter with confidence in the company it definitely cools the desire to support the company on kickstarter.

Add to that the fact that even for the KS, if your package gets lost or stolen (as is increasingly common these days), CMON’s official policy is to tell you to pound sand. This despite the fact that they choose the carrier, the terms of carriage, and the level of insurance (presumably none), leaving you with no way to mitigate your risk of loss. 

This is what happened to my time machine pledge, which was supposedly delivered (though there was no knock or bell) but wasn’t there ten minutes later when I got an email from FedEx (which only happened because I’m independently signed up for them, not because of CMON’s notoriously tardy shipment notification system).

I have shelves packed with previous KS and retail purchases from CMON. Never again. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

And (just to put that out here):

how many of CMON's project have not yet been delivered? Yeah, they are an established company, so in the past, I was willing to accept two or three projects that had not yet been fulfilled ... but now?

Plus, as far as I can tell, their stock is still suspended from trading (since they failed to obtain the necessary audit certification in April). Their auditor refused to issue an opinion stating the company was solvent, and then the independent directors on their board’s audit committee left. Both of which are pretty huge red flags with respect to their financial ability to fulfill their existing obligations without using funds from new projects to pay for old ones. And that was before the effects of covid really started to bite. They may do just fine in the end, but assuming they will certainly deliver because they’ve been established in the past is much riskier than before. 

• Like 5

I want to love those miniatures, because some of the artwork looks rather cool und unique and you don't see many angel/fey type figures as enemy groups. But something about it just isn't gripping me as it should. Maybe getting better/easier to read shots of the figures would help. I barely understand what's going on with some of the more complex models (like the Reaper) and the angel minions look like they have stumpy legs from this angle.

• Like 3

I'm watching, but just not very excited about this for some reason.  We had fun with the original game, but only played it a few times.  Don't really want to throw more money into a game I'll probably never play.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tasso said:

Add to that the fact that even for the KS, if your package gets lost or stolen (as is increasingly common these days), CMON’s official policy is to tell you to pound sand. This despite the fact that they choose the carrier, the terms of carriage, and the level of insurance (presumably none), leaving you with no way to mitigate your risk of loss. 

This is what happened to my time machine pledge, which was supposedly delivered (though there was no knock or bell) but wasn’t there ten minutes later when I got an email from FedEx (which only happened because I’m independently signed up for them, not because of CMON’s notoriously tardy shipment notification system).

That's sad to hear. I've had experience with their customer service for screwed up orders and lost packages in the past, and while they took a long time, they did get me or my friend what we ordered.

• Like 2

Really not digging the minis for this campaign at the moment, not enough monsters going on for my liking.

Will stick to the end, but likely to drop out if they continue as they are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, talion78 said:

Really not digging the minis for this campaign at the moment, not enough monsters going on for my liking.

Will stick to the end, but likely to drop out if they continue as they are.

But what about all those Kickstarter exclusives!? Your life will be so much better if you had them. Imagine going to a party and bringing them along to show off. The guys will be jealous, the ladies fawning over you, all impressed by your amazing ability to back this Kickstarter that they didn't! They'll all be so impressed with your investment insight that they'll just start throwing money at you, making this $100 investment (plus probably another $500 in shipping because it's CMON) trivialized with your new Bezosian wealth!

Or you could not back it. If it makes you feel better, I'm sure there is technically a chance that you won't spend the rest of your life regretting it...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Spodi said:

But what about all those Kickstarter exclusives!? Your life will be so much better if you had them. Imagine going to a party and bringing them along to show off. The guys will be jealous, the ladies fawning over you, all impressed by your amazing ability to back this Kickstarter that they didn't! They'll all be so impressed with your investment insight that they'll just start throwing money at you, making this $100 investment (plus probably another $500 in shipping because it's CMON) trivialized with your new Bezosian wealth!

Or you could not back it. If it makes you feel better, I'm sure there is technically a chance that you won't spend the rest of your life regretting it...

Now you've really made the decision harder.

• Haha 3

While I detect the faintest scent of sarcasm there, the KS exclusives really did make the original Massive Darkness a significantly better game. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CashWiley said:

While I detect the faintest scent of sarcasm there, the KS exclusives really did make the original Massive Darkness a significantly better game. 

IMHO that's an argument against KS exclusives.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jadeite said:

IMHO that's an argument against KS exclusives.

Exactly. While many others take the approach of "you can get it later at retail, just for a higher price", CMON isn't ashamed to say taunt you with "get it now or never!" to boost their backers. You can get it later in retail, and for CMON, not too hard to find sales that are half the price of the Kickstarter, but also with far less (optional) content.

But that optional content is often quite good, and even as far as just the miniatures go, is often a great price. That is why I still back quite a few of CMON's projects, including this one. They're shameless in the FOMO, but it works because what you are missing out on is great for those who end up liking the game. It just sucks for those who don't have the disposable income at the time, don't see the Kickstarter in time, or any other reason that makes them want the game but only after the Kickstarter ends. You end up feeling like you got just the lesser "basic" edition. That is why their Vault kickstarter worked out so well for them, despite being a bit of a hot mess...

• Like 2

I like the harpy minions and boss... but I’m still out. Hopefully I will find someone selling them on eBay later on. 

On 8/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, odinsgrandson said:

That's sad to hear. I've had experience with their customer service for screwed up orders and lost packages in the past, and while they took a long time, they did get me or my friend what we ordered.

I have to update this. A couple days after that post, CMON wrote to tell me they were replacing everything they could and refunding the rest. The original package went missing in late April, but better late than never. 

• Like 6

The last update showed a lot of the miniatures the KS started with in more detail, similar to the stredge goals, which I appreciate. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/massive-darkness-2-hellscape/posts/2925378

I'm going back and forth on this one. I really like that the miniatures are so "out there" and I don't have many angels in my collection. I'm not sure how much I'd use them, though.