Today marks the 76th Anniversary of what has been dubbed "The Longest Day", when the push to liberate Europe from NAZI Oppression and predation set foot on the beaches of Normandy, France.

Please keep all the brave men [and the corp of Nurses who didn't have to but volunteered anyway] who sacrificed so much for all of us in that and the subsequent days and months.

GEM

Proud to be a US Navy Veteran

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Asked the boys what was important in history on this day. 16 year old knew. 13 year old didn't. I told him D-day and he didn't know what that was either. You'd think with the war movies we've watched together he might have had a clue. So we watched Storming Juno tonight. A decent film from the perspectives of 3 soldiers, one airborne, one tanker and one infantry. Need to find somewhere to watch the Longest Day. Haven't seen it in years.

• Like 6

Thanks to all who liberated us, a shame the World hasn't learned much in all this time.

• Like 6

Only saw D-Day, 6th of June as far as movies yesterday.  They always used to have The Longest Day play.  I had to record several History Chanel specials for my D-Day fix.

• Like 7

In London, Black Lives Matter activists, celebrated by vandalising the Cenotaph, our most sacred memorial

AFFIRMATIVE RIGHT: #BLM AND ANTIFA ARE OUR GREATEST ALLIES

They also heroically vandalised Churchill's statueReadspike London - Simple news aggregator

So brave, so righteous

• Sad 10

Of course, defile the statue of one of the men who defeated the Nazis...

Someone didn't read a history book.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

One of the last surviving WWII ships still in service, USS LST-510, a tank landing craft that participated in the invasion of Normandy (she landed at Omaha Beach eight hours after the assault began), is now known as the MV Cape Henlopen, operating as a ferry between New London, CT and Orient Point, NY for Cross Sound Ferry Services...

Here's a video of a WWII vet revisiting the ship recently.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

Also one of the LSTs that was used as bait in a training exercise pre D-Day to find out how the Germans would react to an invasion fleet.  Several LSTs were sunk by the German version of the PT Boat.  (One of the shows I taped on the 6th was about that exercise.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seer of the Pitt said:

I don't have to tell y'all to read up on Churchill's history in his latter days. I'm pretty sure that's blm's reasoning as to why they did what they did. 

We have statues of George Washington, Julius Caesar and Benjamin Franklin in London. All slave-owners, let's tear them down. 

And there's one of Richard the Lionheart outside Parliament, leader of the only successful Crusade. Let's get him down too, don't want to offend any Muslims.

Henry VIII - Misogynist

Gandhi - Racist

George III - Transphobe

And then, and then, and then

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, Beagle said:

We have statues of George Washington, Julius Caesar and Benjamin Franklin in London. All slave-owners, let's tear them down. 

And there's one of Richard the Lionheart outside Parliament, leader of the only successful Crusade. Let's get him down too, don't want to offend any Muslims.

Henry VIII - Misogynist

Gandhi - Racist

George III - Transphobe

And then, and then, and then

We evolve, we get different views.

Try to erase History by tearing all of those down and forget the good things, focus on the things we now consider bad.

Erase it all.

Then repeat History because we all forgot.

I think it's better to point at a statue and explain that this person did a lot of good for this or that, but in hindsight had believes we now consider obsolete/bad/whatever.

Try to remember and not repeat the bad stuff.

Maybe we Dutch should also go out there,

Protest against the Germans because a few generations ago they caused WW II and occupied us, maybe against the French, Bloody Napoleon, The Spanish, Remember ALVA!!! The Italians! Those frikking Romans did a lot of bad things to our ancestors.

Let's all settle our grievances we've had for centuries and forget how to live together and move on.

Let's not learn from our past and try to live in peace, lets repeat history.

Let's go to WAR!

That'll solve everything.

Sorry for the rant, but humanity will never learn.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

We evolve, we get different views.

Try to erase History by tearing all of those down and forget the good things, focus on the things we now consider bad.

Erase it all.

Then repeat History because we all forgot.

I think it's better to point at a statue and explain that this person did a lot of good for this or that, but in hindsight had believes we now consider obsolete/bad/whatever.

Try to remember and not repeat the bad stuff.

Maybe we Dutch should also go out there,

Protest against the Germans because a few generations ago they caused WW II and occupied us, maybe against the French, Bloody Napoleon, The Spanish, Remember ALVA!!! The Italians! Those frikking Romans did a lot of bad things to our ancestors.

Let's all settle our grievances we've had for centuries and forget how to live together and move on.

Let's not learn from our past and try to live in peace, lets repeat history.

Let's go to WAR!

That'll solve everything.

Sorry for the rant, but humanity will never learn.

But not just that. What level of offence is necessary for a statue to be condemned and can you just tear it down once you've decided ? Do homophones get to take down statues of Oscar Wilde? Can the Germans demand that we take down statues of Montgomery or Haig?

• Like 5

Edited..

Elf it..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

We should not make statues anymore or paintings, best to forget all about what has been done or will be done.

No walk of fame anymore either, suppose on of those Rock Stars has had a bad past?

Dig out that star!

Best not to make movies anymore either, I mean, come on, who can still watch John Wayne? Right?

At a certain point in history the heroes of today will be seen as bad because visions have changed again.

Best not to create anything anymore, it might be offensive to someone.

Maybe just being is offensive to someone somewhere, let's all jump from a cliff so everybody is at ease..now, who goes first?

We could do that, or we could fight back against the madness, that's my plan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Beagle said:

We could do that, or we could fight back against the madness, that's my plan.

Well, I've edited it away..

I have given up on humanity in this aspect.

Whatever happens it will not be the outcome people expected, it will only get worse as usual.

• Thanks 1