Sign in to follow this  
bojesphob

Bones 4 Mumlak

Since I pretty much finished up the Stygian Barge, figured I would start on another Bones 4 mini so that I can get those wrapped up before I get my Bones 5 minis and the Avengers Assemble KS minis I went all in on come in. I'm quite a bit farther along than this pic suggests, but haven't had a chance to get more pics. Anyhow, I like how it's coming along, it's been a fun challenge and actually has gone quicker than I was expecting. You'll see it in the next batch of pictures, but I wanted to put some of the orange/brown markings that some african elephants have, so that was a bit of a challenge as well, sort of like what you see in this pic:

Dxc3G02X0AE1xaA?format=jpg&name=medium

Anyhow, I'll try to get some updated pictures later tonight if I can find some more time to paint. Here's where he stood on Saturday night, basically just some base coats:

Mumlak1.jpg

Edited by bojesphob
  • Like 8

So, didn't get to paint anymore last night, but did get a couple more pictures. The orange/brown didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped, and there are a few details that are muddied in the pics,. but it gives you a good idea of what he's looking like at the moment :) I'd say I'm about 80% done with him. A number of details (eyes, the rest of the thing on his hip, maybe some more highlighting) yet to do.

Mumlak3.jpg

Mumlak4.jpg

Mumlak5.jpg

• Like 11

Everyone is painting Mumlak!  I just posted in Show Off. :)

I think I'm the only one who didn't shave the mold lines off his tusks.  :(

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 10:25 PM, Original_Carl said:

Everyone is painting Mumlak!  I just posted in Show Off. :)

I think I'm the only one who didn't shave the mold lines off his tusks.  :(

Don't worry, there were a few places that I missed on the mold lines on mine on the body. I used Ron's trick of using Elmer's glue to fill in the gaps between the pieces, and while I was doing that I noticed the mold lines on the tusks. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten something completely painted only to realize too late that I missed mold lines! They're easy to miss, especially with the regular Bones material (they're harder to see due to the white color, I think). I'll have to go check out your Mumlak!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bojesphob said:

I used Ron's trick of using Elmer's glue to fill in the gaps between the pieces, and while I was doing that I noticed the mold lines on the tusks.

I had not heard of this trick and will have try it out sometime.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, strawhat said:

Yeah, it was in one of the Reaper Live videos back during the Bones V campaign if I remember correctly. It can take multiple applications, and the gaps can't be very big (Elmer's glue tends to shrink and the bigger gaps would never fully fill in and look decent). I tried to use it on some gaps on the Stygian Barge, but it didn't work well on those as a few of them were larger gaps, but on the ears here and on the back around the head on Mumlak you can't really see the seam, which is great! I just filled in the gaps on my Blacktooth from Bones IV and the Ankylosaurus, and I'd say 90% of them turned out really well. I'd say most of bigger gaps that I used this for (still small gaps, mind you) took around 4 or 5 applications to get it to the point where the gap was smoothed over. Once it's primed/base coated, if you add enough you can't see the gap, although I will mention that when the elmer's glue dries it will be clear so you can't tell when it's dry if you filled it in enough. Not sure if you could add some primer to it to get it to be opaque? I've not done much with mixing paint with the elmer's to know if that would work or not. Definitely a lot easier to work with than trying to fill those tiny gaps with liquid green stuff! (especially considering I have never been good at getting that to work at all).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, strawhat said:

Here you go. For some reason I thought this was a more recent Reaper Live than it actually was HA! I linked to the exact spot where they talk about it:

https://youtu.be/PjiHgSUa9xM?t=201

Apparently it was Ed that talked about it, not Ron. Guess it was a long time since I had watched this and got it mixed up.

Edited by bojesphob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so back to the Mumlak LOL I looked up what african elephants' eyes look like, and found that I never really noticed what they looked like! Anyhow, I decided I was going to try to come as close as I could to what they look like. Here's what an african elephant's eye looks like:

elephant-tears.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart

So, it's got a weird darker ring, an outside white, and then orange in the middle. I couldn't quite reproduce the white ring around the orange but in the dark area, but I think I came up with something that looks rather similar :) The second picture here has a blown up view of the eye so you can see it better without having to go to the full sized pic to see it. I have some clean up work to do on the feet (some of the base coat got on them which I didn't notice until I was typing up this post), and I also haven't decided what exactly to do with the base yet. There are also 2 things that are like pendants or teeth or something on his wrists that I need to do as well.

Mumlak6.jpg

Mumlak7.jpg

Mumlak8.jpg

• Like 9