• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, TheUncannyAK said:

Beautiful work on the blossoms. The white face paint and sheen to the hair is really well done, too. I really like this. ::D:

13 hours ago, ShantyShakin said:

Just stunning. I love the freehand on the kimono, the highlights in the hair, and the white face makeup. All these details really sell the piece. Very well done!

Thanks! I was so nervous about the hair and face paint but I used Derek Schubert's version for inspiration which really helped especially for the hair. 

12 hours ago, zoroaster100 said:

Love so many things about this but the blossoms on the dress blew me away.

Thanks! The blossoms are the result of a happy accident. I was doing more structured flowers but messed up on one and it ended up less defined, more feathery I guess you could say. I liked the look of it better so I redid the others.

7 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

There's nothing about this paint job that I don't like- the freehand, NMM, makeup and the subtle basing, it's all fantastic!

3 hours ago, jdizzy001 said:

What a great paint job to complement such a great sculpt!

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Where'd you get the tiny Japanese lanterns?

The miniature is gorgeous, and you've really done it justice, BTW.

Thanks! I got the lanterns from Morland Studios. They have a bunch of basing sets in various themes.

• Like 4

She is gorgeous! The kimono is so pretty and well shaded. The hair, especially the back, the highlights are amazing! I still cannot pull off black hair and yours is making me so jealous! There is nothing I don't like about this. The color choices, the delicate flowers, the basing... She's wonderful!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pochi said:

She is gorgeous! The kimono is so pretty and well shaded. The hair, especially the back, the highlights are amazing! I still cannot pull off black hair and yours is making me so jealous! There is nothing I don't like about this. The color choices, the delicate flowers, the basing... She's wonderful!

Thank you! Keep at it with the hair. I didn’t think I could pull it off but something clicked this time. 

• Like 1

You have done a really nice job with this figure. Your freehand is very neat. Your hair turned out very good. You nailed the skin and makeup. 

For C&C, I have a couple of comments, but know that they are very nitpicky. 

The freehand would stand out more if you glaze a darker red or red/purple underneath. Just enough to kind of dark line it without making it feel like a separate piece. 

The highlights on the kimono could be pushed a bit further. I know how hard it is to highlight red, and what is there is good, just extend it a little further on the folds of the sleeves, her armpit, and shoulders on the back. Making the shadows darker would also help the highlights stand out more. 

The little lantern on the base needs some more highlights. It looks kind of flat and dark next to your figure. 

I painted her too and she really is a fun little challenge. I am very glad you are happy with yours, you should be. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Keianna said:

You have done a really nice job with this figure. Your freehand is very neat. Your hair turned out very good. You nailed the skin and makeup. 

For C&C, I have a couple of comments, but know that they are very nitpicky. 

The freehand would stand out more if you glaze a darker red or red/purple underneath. Just enough to kind of dark line it without making it feel like a separate piece. 

The highlights on the kimono could be pushed a bit further. I know how hard it is to highlight red, and what is there is good, just extend it a little further on the folds of the sleeves, her armpit, and shoulders on the back. Making the shadows darker would also help the highlights stand out more. 

The little lantern on the base needs some more highlights. It looks kind of flat and dark next to your figure. 

I painted her too and she really is a fun little challenge. I am very glad you are happy with yours, you should be. 

Thank you! Nitpicky is fine, I appreciate any feedback.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Masaki here (03524) is simply a wonderful, clean, dynamic sculpt, and a perfect foil for O-Sayumi (60191). While you were learning the virtues of the carp, he studied the BLADE. 

Did some image searches for Edo-period prints of storm clouds, lightning, and rough seas. Not perfectly satisfied with the ocean aspects of his robe, but the lightning and clouds will do for now. 

Click for more angles:

"Again we meet! So, the shogun sent you to kill me. He chose assassins well. Your strikes--swifter than the winter wind!"

"And yet no swifter than you parry! But no, Masaki. You fight like twenty wolves. The shogun would never have you killed." 
      "Then who?!"

(If there's one thing the genre teaches us, it is that this will not go well for Masaki.) 

• By Rigel
      Last couple of weeks have kept me busy, but I'm back! (Briefly.)
      60191 is a gorgeous, gracile sculpt by Derek Schubert. A Pathfinder mini, but much more "clean" and less "busy" than many others. Crisp and elegant detail. 
      I love making coral colors from oranges and whites, so her kimono is an orange-to-white-peach gradient. A passerby suggested the contrasting green of the bow and hair wrap (ArmyPainter Kraken Skin). 

The cherry blossom motifs on the kimono are Rhinox Hide and matte white; on the fans, they are Rich Espresso metallic dark bronze and Runefang Steel silver.

This isn't my best work, but it easily cracks the top ten IMO. Took two sessions so far. I'll probably fiddle more with the details of shading and tassels/beads later, but I'm eager to post something. 

More pics with very slight variations below. Sorry for the poor lighting; sun went down while I was making the Shinto arch. 

• By Pochi
      Evilhalfling was my exchange recipient for the Spring Exchange. He asked for something with an Asian flair. I chose two minis to paint for him.

O-Sayumi was the first mini I picked out. I mean come on, how do you pass up such a great mini? I did some research on geishas - their makeup, the kimonos, their culture, etc. Very fun to learn new things! Her kimono pattern is based on one I liked while doing a Google search.

Since Evilhalfling mentioned he might be using the minis in a game, I put little magnets on the bottoms and made a base that either of them can be displayed on. It is my first wooden plinth and my first resin pour. I am afraid it shows but I still think it turned out pretty well. There is a little koi fish in the pool, a couple lily pads I made, a lotus flower, and a tiny frog on a lily pad. (I guess the frog jumped off during transit. )

This is the first time I have posted photos since the board change. Is there no longer a preview button?

• By 72moonglum
      Hello guys and gals!

So just got these two photographed this afternoon, two Children of the Night old school Samurais, from two different packages.  One is a Female Samurai, out of an old Samurai Player Characters package or something similar, and the other one is a dwarf samurai from a Dwarf Player character set, beautifully and petitely sculpted by Dennis Mize. I painted them both at the same time in an attempt to use the same color schemes, hence saving a tad bit of time.  I'm pretty satisfied how they came out, even though I have doubts about the female samurai's eyes.  These are though very true 25 mm figures, really small, so I don't think I want to keep messing with them, as don't want to make matters worse.

Here's the Female Samurai:

And here is the Dwarf Samurai:

Here they are together:

and this is kind of fun, I actually painted the female samurai as per the records I found, in July of 2007, so literally a decade ago, and here is that comparison:

In which also the eyes were a bit obnoxious to work with, but in my old paint job, they ended up being pretty large.  The older version way back then would have been painted with craft paints and brushes I would have gotten from Michaels.

So anyways, hope you enjoy!
    • By dks
      This is O-Sayumi, a geisha bard who appears on the cover of Pathfinder Adventure Path #53, in the Jade Regent storyline.
      Cover art here, by Wayne Reynolds: link.

I finished sculpting the figure in January 2015, but I had taken two long breaks along the way -- started in late 2013, stopped, did a little work in April 2014, stopped again, and resumed in late December 2014.
      I didn't intend to take so long to paint her.
      I did almost all of the painting in 5 sessions in December 2015 and January 2016, and I sculpted a simple flat base to look like Japanese tatami mats, but then I stalled out with indecision about adding props or furniture -- the character plays a samisen in the book, for example, but there isn't one included with the figure.  I also got sidetracked with a busy few months at work, during which I didn't paint or sculpt anything.  At last, I picked up a brush again last week and finished her.  I left the base simple, as you can see.

Here she is:

Enjoy,
      Derek
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 94 Guests (See full list)