I like these colors!  You rose to the challenges that you set for yourself, on the hair and freehand and NMM.

I agree with what @Keianna wrote about highlighting the kimono -- maybe another layer or two if you want it to look like cotton or another matte fabric.  If you want it to look like silk (shiny fabric), then you could bring it up to tight bright highlights like what you did on the black hair.

I would also suggest somewhat darker lining between the fingers of the right hand (it has a nice subtle effect now, but isn't consistent with your sharp dark lining among her articles of clothing), and I would have liked to see some pale green or yellow highlights painted on the grass.

Thanks for sharing!

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, dks said:

I like these colors!  You rose to the challenges that you set for yourself, on the hair and freehand and NMM.

I agree with what @Keianna wrote about highlighting the kimono -- maybe another layer or two if you want it to look like cotton or another matte fabric.  If you want it to look like silk (shiny fabric), then you could bring it up to tight bright highlights like what you did on the black hair.

I would also suggest somewhat darker lining between the fingers of the right hand (it has a nice subtle effect now, but isn't consistent with your sharp dark lining among her articles of clothing), and I would have liked to see some pale green or yellow highlights painted on the grass.

Thanks for sharing!

Derek

Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Masaki here (03524) is simply a wonderful, clean, dynamic sculpt, and a perfect foil for O-Sayumi (60191). While you were learning the virtues of the carp, he studied the BLADE. 

Did some image searches for Edo-period prints of storm clouds, lightning, and rough seas. Not perfectly satisfied with the ocean aspects of his robe, but the lightning and clouds will do for now. 

Click for more angles:

"Again we meet! So, the shogun sent you to kill me. He chose assassins well. Your strikes--swifter than the winter wind!"

"And yet no swifter than you parry! But no, Masaki. You fight like twenty wolves. The shogun would never have you killed." 
      "Then who?!"

(If there's one thing the genre teaches us, it is that this will not go well for Masaki.) 

• By Rigel
      Last couple of weeks have kept me busy, but I'm back! (Briefly.)
      60191 is a gorgeous, gracile sculpt by Derek Schubert. A Pathfinder mini, but much more "clean" and less "busy" than many others. Crisp and elegant detail. 
      I love making coral colors from oranges and whites, so her kimono is an orange-to-white-peach gradient. A passerby suggested the contrasting green of the bow and hair wrap (ArmyPainter Kraken Skin). 

The cherry blossom motifs on the kimono are Rhinox Hide and matte white; on the fans, they are Rich Espresso metallic dark bronze and Runefang Steel silver.

This isn't my best work, but it easily cracks the top ten IMO. Took two sessions so far. I'll probably fiddle more with the details of shading and tassels/beads later, but I'm eager to post something. 

More pics with very slight variations below. Sorry for the poor lighting; sun went down while I was making the Shinto arch. 

• By Pochi
      Evilhalfling was my exchange recipient for the Spring Exchange. He asked for something with an Asian flair. I chose two minis to paint for him.

O-Sayumi was the first mini I picked out. I mean come on, how do you pass up such a great mini? I did some research on geishas - their makeup, the kimonos, their culture, etc. Very fun to learn new things! Her kimono pattern is based on one I liked while doing a Google search.

Since Evilhalfling mentioned he might be using the minis in a game, I put little magnets on the bottoms and made a base that either of them can be displayed on. It is my first wooden plinth and my first resin pour. I am afraid it shows but I still think it turned out pretty well. There is a little koi fish in the pool, a couple lily pads I made, a lotus flower, and a tiny frog on a lily pad. (I guess the frog jumped off during transit. )

This is the first time I have posted photos since the board change. Is there no longer a preview button?

• By 72moonglum
      Hello guys and gals!

So just got these two photographed this afternoon, two Children of the Night old school Samurais, from two different packages.  One is a Female Samurai, out of an old Samurai Player Characters package or something similar, and the other one is a dwarf samurai from a Dwarf Player character set, beautifully and petitely sculpted by Dennis Mize. I painted them both at the same time in an attempt to use the same color schemes, hence saving a tad bit of time.  I'm pretty satisfied how they came out, even though I have doubts about the female samurai's eyes.  These are though very true 25 mm figures, really small, so I don't think I want to keep messing with them, as don't want to make matters worse.

Here's the Female Samurai:

And here is the Dwarf Samurai:

Here they are together:

and this is kind of fun, I actually painted the female samurai as per the records I found, in July of 2007, so literally a decade ago, and here is that comparison:

In which also the eyes were a bit obnoxious to work with, but in my old paint job, they ended up being pretty large.  The older version way back then would have been painted with craft paints and brushes I would have gotten from Michaels.

So anyways, hope you enjoy!
    • By dks
      This is O-Sayumi, a geisha bard who appears on the cover of Pathfinder Adventure Path #53, in the Jade Regent storyline.
      Cover art here, by Wayne Reynolds: link.

I finished sculpting the figure in January 2015, but I had taken two long breaks along the way -- started in late 2013, stopped, did a little work in April 2014, stopped again, and resumed in late December 2014.
      I didn't intend to take so long to paint her.
      I did almost all of the painting in 5 sessions in December 2015 and January 2016, and I sculpted a simple flat base to look like Japanese tatami mats, but then I stalled out with indecision about adding props or furniture -- the character plays a samisen in the book, for example, but there isn't one included with the figure.  I also got sidetracked with a busy few months at work, during which I didn't paint or sculpt anything.  At last, I picked up a brush again last week and finished her.  I left the base simple, as you can see.

Here she is:

Enjoy,
      Derek
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)