Sign in to follow this  

Howdy, all. 

So, in my coming Reaper order (Thursday can't come soon enough!), I've got Mrs. Bones and the Pathfinder Goblin Pyros. All of these minis have fire of one sort or another, and I've never painted fire before, because, well, I'm a rookie at mini painting. Thankfully, I was smart enough to purchase some firey colors alongside those, namely Fireball Orange and Brilliant Red. I've also got Candlelight Yellow. With that in mind, how should I go about painting flames like these? How should I wash and drybrush the fire also?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Like 2

The trick with flame/fire is that the placement of the light and dark areas is the opposite of everything else.  Generally speaking, a model is dark in the recesses and lighter on raised areas.  With fire, because hotter areas are brighter, you paint fire as white/yellow deeper in and closer to the flame source, and get progressively darker (orange then red) the farther out you go.  This picture is a good example.

Burning Flame Fire Background Royalty Free Vector Image

Painting fire also exercises you blending skill.  I would start with a white base, and progressive add yellow, orange, and red.  You'll also want to mix some half-way colors.  I've also found that wet blending also helps bring things together.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not sure I have a good picture to share right now, but I like to paint fire with a base of yellow, then drybrushing on reds and oranges, sometimes browns.

It's a quick and easy to get a flame effect (though I'd say probably not professional quality, if that's what you're looking for).

I tend to avoid applying a wash, as I prefer the colors to come through as vibrantly as possible, especially compared to the rest of the mini.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, didn't expect this many replies! Thanks, everybody!

What you said about avoiding a wash really makes sense, Cawatrooper. I'll be sure to remember that!

Those videos were super helpful, Glitterwolf and Cicciopiu! Very nice and easy to see the results!

• Like 4

I've always found this series of posts to be a fairly good reminder of how to paint fire. It's done by James Wappel, a well-respected, very prolific painter (with his own unique approach to painting).

Playing with Fire Part 1

Painting with Fire Part 2

Fire It Up

Don't worry about the fact that he is using fluorescent paints, you can achieve the same results without them. Focus on how he works through the coloring, and stop whenever you are satisfied (as he is painting a golem, you'll probably stop somewhere early in the second of Part 2, before the rock texture comes into play).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I've always found this series of posts to be a fairly good reminder of how to paint fire. It's done by James Wappel, a well-respected, very prolific painter (with his own unique approach to painting).

Playing with Fire Part 1

Painting with Fire Part 2

Fire It Up

Don't worry about the fact that he is using fluorescent paints, you can achieve the same results without them. Focus on how he works through the coloring, and stop whenever you are satisfied (as he is painting a golem, you'll probably stop somewhere early in the second of Part 2, before the rock texture comes into play).

Great stuff, ManvsMini! Thanks a million!

• Like 1