Whose brave enough to post and share their first mini?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok . . . took me a while to dig these out.

I'm taking my definition of "mini" here to be rpg or wargame specific mini. I have been making model kits since I was around 7 or 8 years old and probably started painting them at age 12 or so. I started off with the old Matchbox 1:76 military vehicles range, each of which came with its own scenic diorama (the more venerable British or Australian forum members may remember these, although I did see some of the same models bearing the Revell label around 10-15 years ago, so maybe some made it to the US). Towards the end of high school I graduated to 1:35 scale Tamiya WW2 vehicles and figures, making my own vignettes and dioramas to display them. Around the same time I started playing AD&D, however we never played with miniatures (Brisbane at that time had one "wargames" shop but the minis were all lead based and well outside my budget). So I came into miniature painting with some experience, although little knowledge of techniques like undercoating, highlighting or use of washes, and the only paints available were the Humbrol and Testors enamels and Tamiya acrylics, most of which were in military colours rather than the nice bright colours I saw in the occasional White Dwarf or Dragon magazines.

When I started university and got a part time job, I could start to afford some minis, and the sole wargames store in town was joined by a few short lived gaming stores. I also started to track some down through mail order, but this was in the days of postal money orders, which were a pain to organise. I think the minis below are the first true gaming miniatures I painted.

First up, are a pair of "freebies" you got with the AD&D Battlesystem rule set (a very short lived attempt to take D&D back to its wargaming roots. I make no claims about the quality, however the detail on these miniatures is really quite low, and not helped by the thick Humbrol enamels used to paint them. The bases are stamped with "1988 TSR". Apologies for the dust - this is after I brushed a lot of it off.BSMaleWizardForum.thumb.jpg.fc236ee41d2d88d5af88d045f059ac70.jpgBSFemaleDruidForum.thumb.jpg.3cf13d2bc6540dad6eb0f016261753e3.jpg

On the plus side, I did have a fairly steady hand, honed by years of painting the eyes on 1:35 scale soldiers.

I'm unsure of which of the following are the oldest. I'll start with an old Mounted Skeleton posed in the distinctive Citadel "star jump" configuration. He's a bit battered from spending a lot of time in the bits box and I can't find his shield. Once again, I managed to keep mostly within the lines . . .

MountedSkeletonForum01.thumb.jpg.bd7d327ade92c6777446be68ed7ce5db.jpgMountedSkeletonForum02.thumb.jpg.16a606864edfd10afa9f075539ce11eb.jpg 

I seemed to be a bit keen on using Humbrol Leather for weathering - that might be my first attempt at drybrushing.

Lastly, my suspicion is that this guy is the first miniature I bought. It's one that I've held onto for a long time because I was really happy with the painting. There's some evidence of drybrushing, blacklining and layering long before I even knew those were things. This is an old, out of focus photo (I can't currently put my hands on him) and what appears to be an interesting texture on his skin is actually a combination of dust and an unsealed paint job started to degrade. I believe it's an old Grenadier Orcus - If I can find him I'll find out what the date stamp says on the bottom.

Orcus02Forum.thumb.jpg.7624f4505fe03c541ccdeba2a53361c4.jpg

Both Orcus and the skeleton would have been painted in '87 or 88.

Going looking for these uncovered a treasure trove of unfinished or unpainted vintage miniatures (mostly skeletons - they were easiest to paint). I found the old Ral Partha "Throne of Bones" I bought myself on my last day of my undergad degree 31 years ago- largely painted but still unassembled, plus I also uncovered a few of the Ral Partha "Vignettes" series "Bridge of Sorrows" and "The Confrontation" I got through mail order in the early 90's which I've never finished because I lack the space to display them. I'll probably have to strip and restart, but they are nice kits. Maybe once I've finished off all my Bones . . .

• Like 19

@Dr Boom I'm Dutch, I collected those Matchbox Military Kits when I was a kid and all of the Airfix 1:72 soldiers from every period.

I no longer have any of it.

That Citadel Skeleton is awesome, those old minis  had so much character.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Venun @lazarp your first minis are way better than Mine, I sometimes wonder if the available youtube vids and internet help people to paint better from the start.

When I started all I had was a White Dwarf magazine...no support.

I love seeing these!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Venun @lazarp your first minis are way better than Mine, I sometimes wonder if the available youtube vids and internet help people to paint better from the start.

I love seeing these!

They likely do! I'm not very sure if I used them on that mini, but I did do some research online after starting. LOADS of research online actually.

Here's my 2nd mini. I did loads of work trying to layer this with purple and grey. hah. The lessons I learned =)

image.thumb.png.bc13d8933879b844e471e98754a9dac2.pngimage.thumb.png.129970519602c45c816e08ce79cd237e.png

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I love seeing these!

I would agree that the YouTube videos helped launch me into this hobby a ton.  From learning about good products to use to techniques unique to miniatures.  Without them my first few would have been a much bigger struggle.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Put that one in show off with better pics!

It's a very old mini for me, and at the time of making I loved doing it, right now it's more a historic piece to see where I started at then something I'm proud of showing off =) 

New stuff will find it's way to show-off soon though. I'm making good progress on the Roc these days, although that still has to go through the contest on Reaper's Facebook event.

Edit: it might be cool to order the same fig again and do it all over. Then compare! :D 

Edited by Venun
  • Like 4
On 6/14/2020 at 1:32 AM, Dr Boom said:

I also uncovered a few of the Ral Partha "Vignettes" series "Bridge of Sorrows" and "The Confrontation" I got through mail order in the early 90's which I've never finished because I lack the space to display them. I'll probably have to strip and restart, but they are nice kits. Maybe once I've finished off all my Bones . . .

I also have the Bridge of Sorrows set and absolutely love it but nothing is even primed.  Space is not keeping me from painting it, it's one of those "waiting until I'm better" things.  That's not exactly something you can just toss in the Dip to strip and start over and a mediocre paint job on a set like that would just make me sad.  Love your Orcus by the way!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Back in the day taking pictures wasn’t really a thing but I had a hunch I still had some of my earliest figures in a shoebox somewhere and holy way back machine Mr. Peabody here they are. These may not be my very first but they are definitely among the first figures I bought and painted.

C672FDB0-754C-49E3-86BD-E85C9AE16467.jpeg.82dba18130bed6dd59741a70322361ed.jpeg

And as bonus surprise look what else I found:

CC9D97F1-883A-4495-A775-E3FB9ACEDAC2.thumb.jpeg.0f7c51b4c3fce22cf2b98acf6dffb532.jpeg

lol even back then I was very prolific:)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1