Whose brave enough to post and share their first mini?

Dan S

Here is my first mini. The guy at my local Games Workshop back then gave it to me and invited me to stay awhile and paint so here it is. It looks like I unwillingly did wet blending as there is some bronze mixed with the green on the glove and the shoulder pads. No shading nor highlights, I didn’t feel confident about it. And doing something about the paint on the base didn’t even come to my mind.

It was in 2014 or 2015.

F8D3056B-EA69-441F-853F-8F514AFF1763.jpeg

• Like 18

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for the slow response, I've not been able to get online much these last couple of days.

Some of these are crazy good, it amazes me that people still own mini's that they painted way back in the 70s.  Its not only good to see other painters humble beginnings,  but its been like digging up a time capsule looking at some of these classic, old school sculpts.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, Glitterwolf said:

@Venun @lazarp your first minis are way better than Mine, I sometimes wonder if the available youtube vids and internet help people to paint better from the start.

When I started all I had was a White Dwarf magazine...no support.

I love seeing these!

I think you're right. Before painting the first mini I watched a few tutorial videos on basics. Since then I've always had an answer online for anything regarding painting or sculpting, and I believe that makes a big difference for people starting with the hobby today. 

Anyway, this is my most recent mini, cheers! ::D:

IMG_20200217_155352.thumb.jpg.9f4ded106f8a29349c3620af5347ca1b.jpgIMG_20200217_155416__01.thumb.jpg.083ac2754c496c8190fc53881f4d0c58.jpg

Edited by lazarp
  • Like 11

12 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Man, time sure does fly fast. Skills, on the other hand, grow quite slowly. 

Keep at it, you will get there.  Every now and then you will learn or get the hang of a new technique and something will just click, its like levelling up and gaining a new ability in an RPG! Just gotta focus on gaining those experience points and trust that they are all adding up towards your next level up! :lol:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dan S said:

Keep at it, you will get there.  Every now and then you will learn or get the hang of a new technique and something will just click, its like levelling up and gaining a new ability in an RPG! Just gotta focus on gaining those experience points and trust that they are all adding up towards your next level up! :lol:

Great analogy! Thanks!

I've always been a bit of a grinder... :poke:

• Like 2

I do not have a picture of mine as it was before cameras but this is the first mini I painted.

Partha-3stage-325a.jpg

Ral Partha from their druid 3 stage character set. 

RP-01-325-01.jpg

Circa 83-84 some time.  Painted him with Testors Enamel model paints.  I still do not remember what happened with these three. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, malefactus said:

Well they aren't the first minis I painted. These are minis I painted for Cap'n John in the mid '90s:

ACtC-3ejhMRBri_Y_db1qVaniC26oI-PItQ33xEA

The rest of the ones I did for him can be seen here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ephqr29Tq47Tjb2L9

Those are stunning, I especially like the wizard at the front, I don't know what it is, but I find the palette choice and that beard very aesthetically pleasing.

On a slightly related note the fella in the background holding the camera has some pretty impressive facial hair too! :lol:

1 hour ago, snitchythedog said:

I do not have a picture of mine as it was before cameras but this is the first mini I painted.

Partha-3stage-325a.jpg

Ral Partha from their druid 3 stage character set. 

RP-01-325-01.jpg

Circa 83-84 some time.  Painted him with Testors Enamel model paints.  I still do not remember what happened with these three. 

Thats going back some years, you started around the year I was born!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Skiesclear said:

This was my first foray into mini painting.. grabbed a Ral Partha Hook Horror and a handful of citadel paints from a comic books store in the late 90's, and the addiction was born.

hookhorror.jpg

Really cool, I am actually painting a set of Underdark beasties at the moment, but dont yet own a hook horror.  Now I want one :lol:

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Dan S said:

Thats going back some years, you started around the year I was born!

Started gaming with D&D back in 79.  My mother was worried that it was the devil from the news reports.  She also thought Men Without Hats Safety Dance was about smoking dope.  Go figure.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Dan S said:

Really cool, I am actually painting a set of Underdark beasties at the moment, but dont yet own a hook horror.  Now I want one :lol:

I did buy another unpainted model off of ebay this year, so I could do a comparison paint, but it was spendy. $65, not in the package. Reaper makes a great Hook Horror, aka Gloom Stalker,  44061.. much more reasonably priced!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1