Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

The Thieves Guild, Ral Partha, Sculpted by Dennis Mize

Love them!

The colours are silky smooth and contrast well, and your NMM is really nice.  I especially like the first guy in the yellow cloak, the paint job is striking!

Edited by Dan S
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan S said:

Love them!

The colours are silky smooth and contrast well, and your NMM is really nice.  I especially like the first guy in the yellow cloak, the paint job is striking!

Thank you very much! I think he’s the guild master!

• Like 1

The thieve's guild needs to steal some pants! Good job!

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

Definitely a bunch of pantless wonders! I figure it’s probably warm where they live. 

I think the thief in purple with the throwing dagger is absolutely awesome!

He reminds me of Errol Flynn, I can see him crashing through a rooftop window into a party where the rich are dancing, swooping the golden plates off the table while giving the Lady of the House such a dashing smile she faints, making his getaway throwing a dagger that just misses the Lord, a note attached that said: Regards to your lovely daughter!

And the girl is stunning, she is a very good thief, she just stole my heart.:wub:

The guild master, excellent paint job, but he's not afraid to reveal himself with those colours is he?

He's proud of his profession and I guess he bribed the guards so he can wander about town in that outfit without getting arrrested.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ced1106 said:

the guy in purple has been in Covid quarantine for too long.  He's forgotten that you are not supposed to go  out in public in just your bathrobe!

Great job on these!  I love the yellow/black cloak but the faces on all of them are so well done.  this is a great set!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think the thief in purple with the throwing dagger is absolutely awesome!

He reminds me of Errol Flynn, I can see him crashing through a rooftop window into a party where the rich are dancing, swooping the golden plates off the table while giving the Lady of the House such a dashing smile she faints, making his getaway throwing a dagger that just misses the Lord, a note attached that said: Regards to your lovely daughter!

And the girl is stunning, she is a very good thief, she just stole my heart.:wub:

The guild master, excellent paint job, but he's not afraid to reveal himself with those colours is he?

He's proud of his profession and I guess he bribed the guards so he can wander about town in that outfit without getting arrrested.

I really like this set, precisely because they are all unique, but have some sort of uniformity to make them feel like they work together or belong together.

With them I figured I could either do really deep, somber colors, or make them a bit more noticeable, so I chose the latter. I figure the Guild Master is a big enough bigwig in town to not have to actually skulk around, like you say he's got everybody paid off and doesn't really have to worry much about anything. 

The girl is the only one whose color scheme I've known since the moment I saw her. The other two came to being much later.

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

the guy in purple has been in Covid quarantine for too long.  He's forgotten that you are not supposed to go  out in public in just your bathrobe!

Great job on these!  I love the yellow/black cloak but the faces on all of them are so well done.  this is a great set!

Yeah, thank baby Buddha he has those leather strips dangling in front of his own dangly parts!

Yes, it's a really neat set that I've wanted to paint for a long time, but they just lingered on my paint desk for years! It's usually hard for me to get inspired enough to paint a whole set, but I was able to finish all three of theses guys in about two weeks and even worked on them all together.

• Like 1

Another wonderful classic set - I really like the guildmaster - the colors are so wonderful with the cloak -  the back reads as heavy and leathery, a little worn with that rich warm velvety inside - I think he's wrapped that around him to pull off some skullduggery a few times....

• Like 2

What a delightfully flamboyant trio! Great work, as always. I particularly like the moustachioed gentleman's facial expression—you really nailed it.

• Like 1

Great paint job on all three! Not a fan of the set though. They're all in almost the exact same stance, each with their right hand on sword and their left on a dagger.

Alright, the one with the mustache is pretty cool. Lots of character to that fella. He also looks like he's about to attack, instead of posing. :winkthumbs:

• Like 1

Absolutely love the red leather on the female in the trio, the other 2 are great too, but she steals the show!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Iridil said:

Another wonderful classic set - I really like the guildmaster - the colors are so wonderful with the cloak -  the back reads as heavy and leathery, a little worn with that rich warm velvety inside - I think he's wrapped that around him to pull off some skullduggery a few times....

Thank you Iridil, yes, I'm pretty sure he's been skulldigging now and again (skulldugging?)...

20 hours ago, BardicDave said:

What a delightfully flamboyant trio! Great work, as always. I particularly like the moustachioed gentleman's facial expression—you really nailed it.

I just painted it up, the real credit goes to Dennis Mize who sculpted that teeny little moustache!

16 hours ago, TheUncannyAK said:

Their clothes are so over the top that I can't help but love them. ::D:

Yes, it's nice to know out there that there's a thieves' guild where pants are optional.

15 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Great paint job on all three! Not a fan of the set though. They're all in almost the exact same stance, each with their right hand on sword and their left on a dagger.

Alright, the one with the mustache is pretty cool. Lots of character to that fella. He also looks like he's about to attack, instead of posing. :winkthumbs:

Thanks CorallineAlgae!  The set itself I really like a bunch, but you do have kind of a valid point about poses.  I haven't looked on the bottom of these to know when they were sculpted, but it was the early nineties/late eighties, and lots of sculpts in the name of casting efficiency were created with these open kind of flat-planed stances. I'd say try to enjoy them individually instead of judging them as a set.

12 hours ago, Citrine said:

Absolutely love the red leather on the female in the trio, the other 2 are great too, but she steals the show!

The gal is my favorite as well, and she was really the only one of the three whose color scheme, leather, skin and hair, I had envisioned before I started painting them.

• Like 3

Great work on all of these, I love all of them.  One of my first thoughts was "old minis, of course the female is over-sexualized," but then I saw the purple guy in his ultra-short bathrobe-tunic that doesn't even close and that kind of made it okay.  It made me laugh at least!  And yeah, his sword is super long for a thief!

• Like 2