Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

The Thieves Guild, Ral Partha, Sculpted by Dennis Mize

Recommended Posts

Love them!

 

The colours are silky smooth and contrast well, and your NMM is really nice.  I especially like the first guy in the yellow cloak, the paint job is striking!

Edited by Dan S
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan S said:

Love them!

 

The colours are silky smooth and contrast well, and your NMM is really nice.  I especially like the first guy in the yellow cloak, the paint job is striking!

Thank you very much! I think he’s the guild master!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thieve's guild needs to steal some pants! Good job!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

The thieve's guild needs to steal some pants! Good job!

Definitely a bunch of pantless wonders! I figure it’s probably warm where they live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the thief in purple with the throwing dagger is absolutely awesome!

He reminds me of Errol Flynn, I can see him crashing through a rooftop window into a party where the rich are dancing, swooping the golden plates off the table while giving the Lady of the House such a dashing smile she faints, making his getaway throwing a dagger that just misses the Lord, a note attached that said: Regards to your lovely daughter!

And the girl is stunning, she is a very good thief, she just stole my heart.:wub:

 

The guild master, excellent paint job, but he's not afraid to reveal himself with those colours is he?

He's proud of his profession and I guess he bribed the guards so he can wander about town in that outfit without getting arrrested.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ced1106 said:

The thieve's guild needs to steal some pants! Good job!

 

the guy in purple has been in Covid quarantine for too long.  He's forgotten that you are not supposed to go  out in public in just your bathrobe!

Great job on these!  I love the yellow/black cloak but the faces on all of them are so well done.  this is a great set!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think the thief in purple with the throwing dagger is absolutely awesome!

He reminds me of Errol Flynn, I can see him crashing through a rooftop window into a party where the rich are dancing, swooping the golden plates off the table while giving the Lady of the House such a dashing smile she faints, making his getaway throwing a dagger that just misses the Lord, a note attached that said: Regards to your lovely daughter!

And the girl is stunning, she is a very good thief, she just stole my heart.:wub:

 

The guild master, excellent paint job, but he's not afraid to reveal himself with those colours is he?

He's proud of his profession and I guess he bribed the guards so he can wander about town in that outfit without getting arrrested.

 

I really like this set, precisely because they are all unique, but have some sort of uniformity to make them feel like they work together or belong together.

 

With them I figured I could either do really deep, somber colors, or make them a bit more noticeable, so I chose the latter. I figure the Guild Master is a big enough bigwig in town to not have to actually skulk around, like you say he's got everybody paid off and doesn't really have to worry much about anything. 

 

The girl is the only one whose color scheme I've known since the moment I saw her. The other two came to being much later.

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

 

the guy in purple has been in Covid quarantine for too long.  He's forgotten that you are not supposed to go  out in public in just your bathrobe!

Great job on these!  I love the yellow/black cloak but the faces on all of them are so well done.  this is a great set!

Yeah, thank baby Buddha he has those leather strips dangling in front of his own dangly parts!

Yes, it's a really neat set that I've wanted to paint for a long time, but they just lingered on my paint desk for years! It's usually hard for me to get inspired enough to paint a whole set, but I was able to finish all three of theses guys in about two weeks and even worked on them all together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another wonderful classic set - I really like the guildmaster - the colors are so wonderful with the cloak -  the back reads as heavy and leathery, a little worn with that rich warm velvety inside - I think he's wrapped that around him to pull off some skullduggery a few times....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a delightfully flamboyant trio! Great work, as always. I particularly like the moustachioed gentleman's facial expression—you really nailed it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great paint job on all three! Not a fan of the set though. They're all in almost the exact same stance, each with their right hand on sword and their left on a dagger.

Alright, the one with the mustache is pretty cool. Lots of character to that fella. He also looks like he's about to attack, instead of posing. :winkthumbs:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely love the red leather on the female in the trio, the other 2 are great too, but she steals the show!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Iridil said:

Another wonderful classic set - I really like the guildmaster - the colors are so wonderful with the cloak -  the back reads as heavy and leathery, a little worn with that rich warm velvety inside - I think he's wrapped that around him to pull off some skullduggery a few times....

Thank you Iridil, yes, I'm pretty sure he's been skulldigging now and again (skulldugging?)...

20 hours ago, BardicDave said:

What a delightfully flamboyant trio! Great work, as always. I particularly like the moustachioed gentleman's facial expression—you really nailed it.

I just painted it up, the real credit goes to Dennis Mize who sculpted that teeny little moustache!

 

16 hours ago, TheUncannyAK said:

Their clothes are so over the top that I can't help but love them. ::D:

Yes, it's nice to know out there that there's a thieves' guild where pants are optional.

15 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Great paint job on all three! Not a fan of the set though. They're all in almost the exact same stance, each with their right hand on sword and their left on a dagger.

Alright, the one with the mustache is pretty cool. Lots of character to that fella. He also looks like he's about to attack, instead of posing. :winkthumbs:

Thanks CorallineAlgae!  The set itself I really like a bunch, but you do have kind of a valid point about poses.  I haven't looked on the bottom of these to know when they were sculpted, but it was the early nineties/late eighties, and lots of sculpts in the name of casting efficiency were created with these open kind of flat-planed stances. I'd say try to enjoy them individually instead of judging them as a set.

12 hours ago, Citrine said:

Absolutely love the red leather on the female in the trio, the other 2 are great too, but she steals the show!

The gal is my favorite as well, and she was really the only one of the three whose color scheme, leather, skin and hair, I had envisioned before I started painting them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on all of these, I love all of them.  One of my first thoughts was "old minis, of course the female is over-sexualized," but then I saw the purple guy in his ultra-short bathrobe-tunic that doesn't even close and that kind of made it okay.  It made me laugh at least!  And yeah, his sword is super long for a thief!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By 72moonglum
      Hello again Reaper Message Boardonians!
       
      So here's another piece of old school goodness, a Ral Partha Charging Barbarian, sculpted by Julie Guthrie way back in the delightful eighties.  This one was originally in one of the Partha Boxed sets, 98-015 Bezerkers, and now is sold individually at Iron Wind Metals.
       

       
      Pretty quick to paint as he was unencumbered by too much armor, clothing or general stuff.  My biggest challenge with this fellow was to figure out his hair color.  Blonde eventually won the day.  
       
      Anyhoos, please enjoy!
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello guys!
       
      I'm not sure if this is the place to put this and I don't think it's permissible to put links to other web sites, but just as some general information,  Thunderbolt Mountain Miniatures, that was a company that Tom Meier had founded quite a many years ago after leaving Ral Partha, are once again available, and being cast through a subsidiary company of Ral Partha, called Ral Partha Legacy.  They are working on releasing some classic Partha for their Chaos Wars game, other miniatures that were previously out of production, and of special note, miniatures from Thunderbolt Mountain.  At the moment on their site they have all their 32 mm elves, orcs and goblins, as well as their smaller 25mm Arthurians and a variety of other historical and fantasy miniatures.  Worth checking out, some very nice pieces out there! 
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi guys and gals, 
       
      So just painted these two, which were pretty simple jobs being they didn't have too many things hanging off of them.  These are bugbears sculpted by Tom Meier, back in 1983.  I had always thought these were odd kind of figures, because my other concept of bugbears at the time were the Monster Manual version as well as the two Grenadier bugbears that were available at the time.  One of my future projects is to paint the Grenadier bugbears as well, plus some more recent Partha bugbears and I think I have somewhere the female bugbear by Reaper that I'd like to paint up.
       
      Anyhoos, these guys have these huge eyes that I really didn't know what to do with.  I thought of one color and not put in any pupils, but then changed my mind.  Hopefully green eyes look okay.  
       

      Anyhoos, enjoy!
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
    • By 72moonglum
      So for those who celebrate such things, I hope you all had a really nice Thanksgiving as well as a beautiful Black Friday!
       
      So I finished these a few days ago, but have kind of been a bit busy for posting.  They both have shields, but only one of them I had to worry about putting a "something" on the shield.  I didn't know exactly what to put on there, so ended up with a little green face with X'd out eyes. There was still space so painted a little triangle.  No great significance, just filling in some space.
       
      Being I was painting them too both at the same time and in the effort of saving time I ended up painting their footwear equal colors, hopefully nobody will think the less of me for it.
       

       

       
      These are two miniatures from Ral Partha, sculpted by Dennis Mize, that were part of their Ral Partha Imports range.   Partha originally was distributing some Citadel figures back in the eighties, but I think they either lost the rights to the miniatures or just decided to sculpt their own alternative versions.  In any case as a result, there are some Citadel figures that have a Partha version, mostly sculpted back then by Dennis Mize.  
       
      I was watching too around last week Anne's Twitch channel in which she mentioned she actually does some painting or dry brushing of static grass and I mean to try it one of these days, just haven't quite figured out with it yet if it's just a bit of random dry brushing or if there would be a method to it.  It kind makes sense though.  I found out years ago that if you used sand or rocks on your bases, it looks a lot better if you painted them as well, as the rocks don't seem to check with the whole miniature and base being painted.  
       
      So anyhoos, everybody enjoy your long weekend if you happen to have one, don't shop too much, and maintain some social distancing!
       
       
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...