After completing my Reaper training kits, I'm ready to start tackling my old 80s lead minis from my youth.  I tried painting a couple when I was twelve years old and failed so miserably I literally thought there was no way I would ever be able to even attempt this hobby and it was just better left to others with more talent.  Thanks Reaper for making the awesome training sets and helping me try again after over 35 years.  So without further ado I begin digging into my vault from the 80s.  Apologies if this forum is for Reaper products only, no insult intended.

So I think this baddie might be a Ral Partha Hill Troll, but not sure. Anybody have some insight?

IMG_5952.jpg

Edited by Choppertown
  • Like 7

You can forgive yourself for anything you tried when you were 12.  No one is much good at anything at that age. 

What does the bottom of the figure have on it? Any markings or stamps? 

• Like 1

No stamps that I can see, I remember it was wobbly so I used an exacto to even the bottom years ago and it's sat on my desk ever since.  I also have a Ral Partha Balrog from circa 1985 that looks somewhat similar in feel and emotion and I used to really love the R.P. figures.  He's about 3/4 inches tall, a big hunk of metal!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Choppertown said:

Apologies if this forum is for Reaper products only, no insult intended.

If it's smaller than an actual human, it's fair game...

Boardgame pieces, plastic toys, rubber bugs, fish tank statues - you'd be amazed at some of the stuff we've painted/repainted/converted to use with our minis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Choppertown welcome to the Forum!

You can paint and show any kind of mini on this forum.

If it contains nudity you'll have to use a link instead of directly posting the pics, and no commercial links to stores etc.

Otherwise anything goes.

Have fun,

That's a Reaper Battle Troll like Haldir said.

Great sculpt.

• Like 1

Welcome!!

I saw the pic and went, "Hey, I have that.  didn't I paint him?"  And then did a search.  I apparently had a diorama planned for him in 2013.....(shockingly it was never completed, or even started....)*

*FYI, on the forums purple is generally used to denote sarcasm

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Choppertown said:

Wow, a Reaper! Look at that!  Thanks @haldir

Looks like it's a "Dark Heavens Legends" release - not sure what that means.  Mine is lead which I don't think anyone produces any more.

The lead was replaced by a new alloy long ago.

Dark Heaven in Reaper's basic D&D line.

Looking forward to see how you paint it.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 6:42 PM, Choppertown said:

Apologies if this forum is for Reaper products only, no insult intended.

You are absolutely A OK. This forum prides itself on the speed with which obscure miniatures can be identified. There have been numerous threads like this one. 

Looks like less than a day in this instance. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Welcome!!

I saw the pic and went, "Hey, I have that.  didn't I paint him?"  And then did a search.  I apparently had a diorama planned for him in 2013.....(shockingly it was never completed, or even started....)*

*FYI, on the forums purple is generally used to denote sarcasm

I know that feeling...

So many minis, so little time!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening Reaper Hoppers and Poppers,

So I just finished this miniature, who is a pretty small one. She's Gwenyvere, from Tom Meier's Arthurian line at Thunderbolt Mountain, currently being produced by Ral Partha Legacy.

I just got a new iPhone, and I took the pictures with it.  I think the pictures came out really nicely, and have done an automatically good job on the exposure and all.  My concern is does the automization of the exposure make it any different than if I would have had to work a little bit with the exposure?

To give a comparison, here is how my camera turned out:

It's a lot darker.

Anyhoos, looking for photographic opinions. 

And to give you an idea of how small this figure it is, here she is in comparison to a US quarter:

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of a dragon I completed Yesterday. This is a Ral Partha 10-463, T'Char Dragon of The Flame and Fury sculpted by Sandra Garrity in 1992. I bought this model in 1993 and assembled it in 1995. It has been on a shelf all these years. It’s a pleasure to see it finally painted. This amazing sculpt is 175mm tall, almost 7 inches at the top of the wings. The original model comes with a nice base around which I added more rocks and branches. I made the flames with Liquitex heavy gel and 3d printed a 125mm wide base to complete the vignette. Nowadays, this 12-piece dragon is still available from Iron Wind Metals. I painted it exclusively with Reaper MSP paint.

Here’s the list of colors I used;

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening all you Reaper Spirits!

So just finished these two, that I think to belong in a single blister, but not quite sure.  Ral Partha High Elf fighters, a male and female.  With High Elves, I always have color issues, but end up invariably towards blues and grays.

Just a few of a great number of elf figures Chris FitzPatrick sculpted for Partha back in the day!
      Enjoy!
    • By aku-chan
      Presenting Brutogg Corpse-Eater, my first finished adventurer from the game Cursed City by Games Workshop.

Had a lot of fun painting this guy, I experimented by giving him grey-hued skin to represent his unhealthy eating habits (he eats zombies) and it worked better than I thought it would.
      Annoyingly though, I had to leave the bits under his coat unpainted (just couldn't get a brush up there), nobody will notice unless they turn him upside down, but it still bothers me that he's technically "Unfinished".

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Kangaroorex
      Two dragons from 2 different times, done with the same colors.  Basically I had both of these on the table and I decided to just use the same palette for both

First up:  the Panther dragon from Ral Partha.  This guy is a long snakey one, his tail was very difficult to get to but overall fun to paint.  This mini just seems to ooze stealth as she slips round alleys and empty streets making people disappear.  This miniature has been sitting on my shelf for decades because I liked the art and the figure but I just didn't know what to do with it.  I finally just broke down and said I am going to paint this!

Then on the flip side is the Treasure Rocky.  This little tyke has acquired his first hoard and he is insanely protective  and proud.  
      And he should be.  I was looking at the reaper store and he and most of his pals are sold out, again!  These are just a joy to paint and I 
      love painting them.  they are just so entertaining and so full of character that no matter what color you add to them or what you put them in 
      they have to shine!

Hope you enjoy them!
  • Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)