Sign in to follow this  
Choppertown

Vintage Ogre or Troll identify

After completing my Reaper training kits, I'm ready to start tackling my old 80s lead minis from my youth.  I tried painting a couple when I was twelve years old and failed so miserably I literally thought there was no way I would ever be able to even attempt this hobby and it was just better left to others with more talent.  Thanks Reaper for making the awesome training sets and helping me try again after over 35 years.  So without further ado I begin digging into my vault from the 80s.  Apologies if this forum is for Reaper products only, no insult intended.

So I think this baddie might be a Ral Partha Hill Troll, but not sure. Anybody have some insight?

IMG_5952.jpg

Edited by Choppertown
  • Like 7

You can forgive yourself for anything you tried when you were 12.  No one is much good at anything at that age. 

What does the bottom of the figure have on it? Any markings or stamps? 

• Like 1

No stamps that I can see, I remember it was wobbly so I used an exacto to even the bottom years ago and it's sat on my desk ever since.  I also have a Ral Partha Balrog from circa 1985 that looks somewhat similar in feel and emotion and I used to really love the R.P. figures.  He's about 3/4 inches tall, a big hunk of metal!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Choppertown said:

Apologies if this forum is for Reaper products only, no insult intended.

If it's smaller than an actual human, it's fair game...

Boardgame pieces, plastic toys, rubber bugs, fish tank statues - you'd be amazed at some of the stuff we've painted/repainted/converted to use with our minis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Choppertown welcome to the Forum!

You can paint and show any kind of mini on this forum.

If it contains nudity you'll have to use a link instead of directly posting the pics, and no commercial links to stores etc.

Otherwise anything goes.

Have fun,

That's a Reaper Battle Troll like Haldir said.

Great sculpt.

• Like 1

Welcome!!

I saw the pic and went, "Hey, I have that.  didn't I paint him?"  And then did a search.  I apparently had a diorama planned for him in 2013.....(shockingly it was never completed, or even started....)*

*FYI, on the forums purple is generally used to denote sarcasm

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wow, a Reaper! Look at that!  Thanks @haldir

Looks like it's a "Dark Heavens Legends" release - not sure what that means.  Mine is lead which I don't think anyone produces any more.

Edited by Choppertown
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Choppertown said:

Wow, a Reaper! Look at that!  Thanks @haldir

Looks like it's a "Dark Heavens Legends" release - not sure what that means.  Mine is lead which I don't think anyone produces any more.

The lead was replaced by a new alloy long ago.

Dark Heaven in Reaper's basic D&D line.

Looking forward to see how you paint it.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 6:42 PM, Choppertown said:

Apologies if this forum is for Reaper products only, no insult intended.

You are absolutely A OK. This forum prides itself on the speed with which obscure miniatures can be identified. There have been numerous threads like this one. 

Looks like less than a day in this instance. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Welcome!!

I saw the pic and went, "Hey, I have that.  didn't I paint him?"  And then did a search.  I apparently had a diorama planned for him in 2013.....(shockingly it was never completed, or even started....)*

*FYI, on the forums purple is generally used to denote sarcasm

I know that feeling...

So many minis, so little time!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this