Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Wyrmwood Gaming table

On 8/4/2020 at 4:47 PM, Unit04 said:

I want to see what the topper looks like.  Is it several pieces or just one or two?  Any fancy connections to keep the spills out or just flat?

Since everything is modular, the toppers are in 24” increments, so 1 for a lilliput, 2 for a coffee table or small, 3 for a medium, and one for a small.  They say gaskets and magnets to be spill resistant (though probably not spill-proof).

• Thanks 1

So they're expanding the early waves or opening new early tiers or some such at 6 EST, little less than an hour...

Can kinda see this being a chance to try to jump up but get bounced and wind up in an even lower spot than where you started if everybody shows up and it gets crazy again lol.

54 minutes ago, Marvin said:

So they're expanding the early waves or opening new early tiers or some such at 6 EST, little less than an hour...

Can kinda see this being a chance to try to jump up but get bounced and wind up in an even lower spot than where you started if everybody shows up and it gets crazy again lol.

Wow, I just stumbled upon this comment, so decided to check it out. A few refreshes later, and I got in for wave 1.

Wasn't originally planning on backing this, but eh, guess I have to now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spodi said:

Wow, I just stumbled upon this comment, so decided to check it out. A few refreshes later, and I got in for wave 1.

Wasn't originally planning on backing this, but eh, guess I have to now.

Haha, damn you! I only managed to hop up to Wave 4.

Ah, well. Makes me feel better about it. Gonna make 2021 a summer of gaming at my house. If I survive that long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I actually don’t think that is a concern. I played around last night and went to change my pledge. It said the new one was unavailable and left me where I was. 

BTW i just got off work and got the email late, but did bump up from tier 8 to 6. That time frame actually puts me at a delivery time frame that is fine with me. I wouldn’t want to be more than a couple of months earlier due to that thing called little kids (aka little destroyers :down:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KruleBear said:

I actually don’t think that is a concern. I played around last night and went to change my pledge. It said the new one was unavailable and left me where I was. 

Yeah, that's what it did to me. I wasn't real worried about it, but there were some folks in the comments saying they lost their original spot when failing to move up this evening, so I'unno.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

Yeah, that's what it did to me. I wasn't real worried about it, but there were some folks in the comments saying they lost their original spot when failing to move up this evening, so I'unno.

If I had to guess they canceled their pledge first instead of just changing it. 

Of course I made the mistake of looking at the comments and had to scratch my head for all the questions asked that were clearly addressed somewhere on the main pledge page. PEOPLE:down::down:

I told my wife yesterday that I was looking at something expensive and later sent her the link to the KS...  She then came down to my gaming room with a tape measure and their "table builder" and started crunching numbers.  Sorry folks, but I have the bestest wife ever!  :wub:

Still not 100% positive (I did snag one of the international pledge spots) as we need to look at the financial implications, but it's definitely (/removes sunglasses) on the table... 

• Like 8

This goes from a few hundred up to a couple thousand dollars really quickly...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I have a bit of a vague question - how well does playing games like D&D work on a recessed table? I definitely plan on getting a topper, and I'd assume I'll be using that most of the time with my D&D groups, but it'd be nice to occasionally use the recessed area when I have chances to use my tiles. Usually, the table is full of people's spell cards, dice, character sheet, some books, etc. When I pull out a grid, things just have to get shifted, and character sheets slide in/out nicely from under battle mats. But that doesn't really work here. You don't even have much of a solid surface to write on.

I know they have the player board thing, which gives a partial solution, but that seems like it'll also get in the way if anyone wants to reach into the table (eg to move minis, or just look closer). Plus, that is a lot of extra cost and stuff to store when not in use.

Then, there is the DM (my) side. I'm fine having just my laptop when DMing, so don't really need much space. The Game Deck could take care of that, but it is quite bulky and pushes everything away and further from reach. Are the table topper pieces secure enough that I could just put down one of those instead?

• Like 1

I'm concerned about the same thing.. most of my players use laptops since we Play Pathfinder and there really isn't a D&D Beyond type thing for it.. and thats a lot of money to spend on desks.. so I may end up with wooden TV trays, or figure out how to build my own player decks.. i think this is where slide out desks would be a real boon or tablet holders like they use on Crit Role.. 

• Like 2

I literally have not even looked at the price on the player desks yet, but I'm prepared to be shocked. And either way, I'm kinda thinking about some side-table options in the vein of a poker table (or just pushing the desks down the road a ways).

My big debate right now is between medium and large tables. Medium's too small for a larger gathering, and large is a little big for the space where I want to set it. So I'unno. I've resigned myself to the fact I just absolutely cannot bring myself to pay the money for the cherry, much as I'd like it, so I'm about settled on maple.

What kinds of tables y'all looking at building?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Medium.  I waffled a bit on the wood but decided to go with cherry over maple.  I probably won't get too many accessories outside of the topper and topper box, and I won't get any more in this KS.  

One of my friends is planning on getting the medium with the large mod pack.  That way they can expand it for large gatherings around the holidays.  That being said, I'm not sure that's a wise idea as the screws will go right into the wood, as opposed to into some hardware.  I expect that repeatedly screwing into and out of the pre-drilled holes will cause problems in the long term.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Most likely black walnut, medium, topper, and a few cup holders and component thingies. Looks like it'll probably cost a little under $4k in the end, which isn't too bad.

• Like 2