Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

Assorted Crooked Dice miniatures... mostly Children of the Fields

I have been painting these as long as the others, but have lots of photo cropping.

Currently painting the sacrificial victim from the Islanders set of Children of the Field... it was separate from the rest of my minis from that kickstarter.

And also a (n unofficial) time lord companion for a variety of "normal" female minis.

Pics later

Started the sacrificial victim june 9 and got him primed

20200609_145734.jpg.85251a23a1bb8e238950a017186abda2.jpg

There's a difference,  honest.20200613_123703.thumb.jpg.28bbdd833e8f732ed559891cbcb70e51.jpg

Blue belt on the 11th. Wow that's gonna need some cleanup.

20200613_123907.thumb.jpg.c6577f83aadea3344e86ff2525175a47.jpg20200611_222242.thumb.jpg.dee032f14ec42c0864e82dd751a3f263.jpg

Oh and here's everyone and everything on the 11th20200611_222329.thumb.jpg.5155f1b59c36b7a354207058236567c8.jpg

And here's caught up to last night. Mostly just adding the pink shirt, I think.

20200613_124312.jpg

20200613_000203.jpg

20200613_000244.jpg

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice minis!

I really like Crooked Dice stuff. Neat sculpts you don't really see elsewhere, some "not x tv property," and always super clean casts.

• Like 3

Just now, lexomatic said:

I really like Crooked Dice stuff. Neat sculpts you don't really see elsewhere, some "not x tv property," and always super clean casts.

That cultist/victim looks suitable for a lot of settings.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

That cultist/victim looks suitable for a lot of settings.

Totally. 100% why I wanted and bought. Just couldn't find him in the original kickstarter.

• Like 3

In case anyone didn't realise, the islanders set is clearly inspired by the movie The Wicker Man.  But yes, that victim (not-Edward Woodward) could certainly fit in many settings.

• Like 4

So mostly lining done on the islander

20200614_141631.thumb.jpg.e2bab1a18733aa9a0ebbd4b87909c6bf.jpg20200614_141520.thumb.jpg.d85dcfc440ac42c34cac30d5933e434b.jpg

except for a quick tabletop on my occult grimoire objective

20200614_141755.jpg.8b59025ae5ff44f23086ce66b97e6d48.jpg20200614_141851.jpg.0a5babd1810a8b3b89937c83ba0304c2.jpg20200614_141926.jpg.1fe20f303fac5f6107a495ff749e86e2.jpg20200614_141956.jpg.91356ac50f51d494357feb42752ece53.jpg20200614_142029.jpg.3c2f67a97402774bd6ce4c2fbad56103.jpg

and some more work on my unidentified companion (I need to find the blister).

20200614_142919.thumb.jpg.525618d276e14077f0d4694a47c67885.jpg20200614_142839.thumb.jpg.d05308e711b80e3e5f1f4819d8000ee7.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure what Crooked Dice calls her, but I believe she is meant to be not-Sarah Jane Smith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, alchemist said:

I'm not sure what Crooked Dice calls her, but I believe she is meant to be not-Sarah Jane Smith.

Yeah. She's from a set. I just forgot to make note, and now that there's a licensed Dr Who set it's hard to find info on this.

Not sure how much more I want to work on the islander. I could spend forever cleaning him up and doing some fiddly bits and I just am not feeling it.

The not Sarah Jane I've decided to turn into a tough with faded tattoos... that are a bit more smudged than I intended.

20200615_225450.jpg

20200615_225417.jpg

20200615_224243.jpg

20200615_224158.jpg

• Like 4

Oh, I do love Crooked Dice's Children of the Fields line! Need to get some of those scarecrow-adjacent fellows myself. Like what you're doing with Sarah Jane and the hapless cult victim. 

By the bye, in any collection of British agricultural horror pulp minis there seems to be a spindly tatterdemalion figure with top hat and sickle attended by crows. Seen it in Artizan, Crooked Dice, and Hasslefree so far. Is this a UK pop culture reference I'm unaware of? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rigel said:

By the bye, in any collection of British agricultural horror pulp minis there seems to be a spindly tatterdemalion figure with top hat and sickle attended by crows. Seen it in Artizan, Crooked Dice, and Hasslefree so far. Is this a UK pop culture reference I'm unaware of? 

I'd guess it's the Crowman from Worzel Gummidge.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, alchemist said:

I'd guess it's the Crowman from Worzel Gummidge.

A quick internet search, and that looks correct. Mystery solved!

What a strange and uncanny and very specific character though. Definitely made a DEEP impression in the minds of a generation, more so than the titular Worzel if the minis are any indication! Just goes to confirm my suspicion that vintage British children's television  was a strobe-light alternation between the cozy anodyne and an unrelenting cavalcade of horror. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this