Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Took a machete to about 1 1/2 dying zucchini plants so I could add them to the compost pile.  If some of the stalks are rotting at the base, is that probably vine borer?

Do you have wilted leaves and a brown pulpy mass at the base of the stalk? If so, cut them off, find the white grub inside and kill it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of my tomato plants had a flower yesterday. I might get a tomato yet! Most of the tomatoes continue to grow, but they are all just thigh high or below.

One tomato is coming back from stem, the bell peppers have all died (HD had healthy ones for $20; pass), and the daughter’s watermelons have sprouted new leaves. The two squash plants have had flowers but no fruit. The sole zucchini stem is hanging on but no leaves in the week since I have started it on the water drip. 

Bees continue to take the sugar syrup I provide, which means there isn’t nectar to be found. Unless what I have been told about bees preferring natural over syrup isn’t the case for mine. They may be lazy. They certainly are chill when I do my inspections. Then again, there may just not be enough flowers for them in the middle of suburbia.

• Like 9

My first big potato harvest!! :bday: I was absolutely floored by how many potatoes each of the four 5 gallon grow bags held. It was a ton of fun to harvest, like a treasure hunt! ^_^

Apple for scale, because my family wouldn't have understood the significance of a small plastic knight in the picture lol.

76030614_Potatoharvest.thumb.jpg.f61ec25bdcc2bf060f8049703e352922.jpg

They are currently living in the closet of my painting room, since it's the coolest dark area in the house, so that the skins can cure.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

As I have been gifted by a friend with 10 pounds of fresh potatoes, what do I have to do to harden them off?  there are Yukon Golds, some spring reds and a Long Island white

also, any recommendations for enjoying fresh potatoes over the older stored variety?

• Like 5

You should be able to eat fresh potatoes any way you like.  The traditional method is fried in butter with fresh parsley on top. 

Curing is usually done by leaving the roots in the ground for a couple weeks after the tops die off. 

Store potatoes in a cool dark area with ventilation. 

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/tips-keeping-harvested-potatoes-fresh

One of my pots has sprouted a new cat:

IMG_20200722_092908826.jpg.90a58b880ef3a3df334411a440680415.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9
4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Curing is usually done by leaving the roots in the ground for a couple weeks after the tops die off. 

Yeah, I um...might have been just a wee bit over-eager and harvested these ones a few weeks too early. :lol: The rest will stay in the ground the recommended amount of time. I also apparently needed to have stopped watering as often for a week or two before harvesting, since that also helps the skins harden. 

As for how to enjoy them, eat the thinnest-skinned variety first (in your case, probably the reds) since they last the shortest amount of time. I plan on probably turning most of this batch into mashed taters since they're so small, though dicing and oven roasting them with a little salt and olive oil is also an option. I'm hoping my Yukon golds will be a bit bigger so baked potatoes can happen. ^_^

Huzzah! 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, OneBoot said:

Yeah, I um...might have been just a wee bit over-eager and harvested these ones a few weeks too early. :lol: The rest will stay in the ground the recommended amount of time. I also apparently needed to have stopped watering as often for a week or two before harvesting, since that also helps the skins harden. 

As for how to enjoy them, eat the thinnest-skinned variety first (in your case, probably the reds) since they last the shortest amount of time. I plan on probably turning most of this batch into mashed taters since they're so small, though dicing and oven roasting them with a little salt and olive oil is also an option. I'm hoping my Yukon golds will be a bit bigger so baked potatoes can happen. ^_^

Huzzah! 

The ones I have been given are in the 4-12 oz size so they are in no danger of being undersized.  I can do anything with them, its just a question of what.  Not made any easier by my wife being on Keto

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

The ones I have been given are in the 4-12 oz size so they are in no danger of being undersized.  I can do anything with them, its just a question of what.  Not made any easier by my wife being on Keto

Keto?  Well the only solution then is to feed them to your pig.  Haha.

• Haha 1

First slicing tomatoes of the year are ripening up. Still not sure which varieties are going to be most successful, but we're still early in figuring out what grows well in our yard. This is a Berkeley Tie Dyed and it's doing better than anything else at the moment. 8 more should be ready by the weekend. And looks like at least another half dozen little ones are developing well, and even a few flowers just forming. 

IMG_20200722_205036564.thumb.jpg.1c10f34cae6d9fda3f9aeb615e7daef9.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1