Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of garden peppers in our supper tonight. From least to most spicy I've got sweet Hungarian, banana, jalapeno, and fish. I think my cucumbers finally succumbed to powdery mildew. But I've got tons of peppers now. Going to be lots of spicy dishes on the menu soon.

IMG_20200803_180421109.thumb.jpg.c7b2dbc973fce9ab0a266aed0dbb927a.jpg

• Like 10

The daily takings:

IMG_20200803_180016526.jpg.01318b3840250b4855f395c50e59ce68.jpg

The cucumbers are  "Pick-a-bushel".  They are resistant to the midwest mildew and mosaic virus.  I traded some today for the little green pepper and a pound of hibiscus tea.  Not sure what kind of pepper it is, but it's going to be part of tomorrow's breakfast. 

There were also 2 jalapenos which are in the oven, and 2 beets, which we'll get to later. 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

We call them Pronk Appels, translator tells me that means Show Off Apples which I'm sure is some sort of Engrish..

Those look like squash to me.  First one looks like a variety of pattypan, the second kinda like a calabacita but more stripey.  Your tomatoes are also looking quite vigorous.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Those look like squash to me.  First one looks like a variety of pattypan, the second kinda like a calabacita but more stripey.  Your tomatoes are also looking quite vigorous.  

I need to inform you, these are NOT edible, just for show.

Does that help?

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I need to inform you, these are NOT edible, just for show.

Does that help?

Yellow pattypan don't have much flavor but they are definitely edible.   It might be that in your country they are only used decoratively. 

1074f8d33ce1171cd8bbfee6580d76ea.jpg.f97edcd417140137f3fa10dbd8370218.jpg

In the fall you can find many small decorative squash (pumpkins) at the grocery store, but it always seemed silly to buy them because you can't eat them and they go bad.  Obviously many people enjoy them, because they keep showing up for sale in the stores.  

16441z.jpg.82a9244bedcf5790405083d36059853c.jpg

• Like 7

Yeah, that could be.  Patty pan has to be picked small to be edible, they can get tough and fibrous once they get older.  

Here's a couple I'm having for lunch today:
IMG_20200804_103939390.thumb.jpg.c50021ba314a2ee047f4453fd81a2d4f.jpg

Then again if it's a cross and not a maintained variety they're probably not very edible either. Pretty though.    A number of gourds can get especially hard thin shells that people like to use for crafts (once they're cut open, seeds and membranes cleaned, and then left to dry.)

A good portion of what's sold as decorative gourds are accidental crosses or mixed seeds  "I planted pumpkin but it came out green and oblong , so I don't know what else to do with it."

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

A good portion of what's sold as decorative gourds are accidental crosses or mixed seeds  "I planted pumpkin but it came out green and oblong , so I don't know what else to do with it."

Ha ha!  Yes, I learned one year why you do not want to plant pumpkin and cucumber next to each other.  I got something round like a pumpkin, green skin like a cucumber, with stripes and very hard skin. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1