Sign in to follow this  
lowlylowlycook

Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

Plant people,I have concerns. My plants look very unhappy. I'm watering every day, sometimes twice (it's been around 100 the last few days). I also moved them so they're about 60% sun. The tomatoes.look like they're still growing, but the stalks look so unhappy! Do they need to just be in the ground now? They're taller than me at this point,so over 5' with the 5 gallon buckets.

Halp.

(I did manage to get one bell pepper!)

20200817_183518.jpg

20200817_183504.jpg

20200817_183448.jpg

20200817_175537.jpg

• Like 5

Your pepper looks nice.  Tomatoes look like tomatoes do in August. When temps go below 90 they should perk up. I see a few yellow flowers, that's good.  Let their soil dry out a bit and soak them. They like good deep watering, but they don't like to be wet all the time. If you can move them off the concrete into shade that would be better. Concrete is just reflecting heat onto them. 

• Like 7

@Marineal  Looks like they're getting too hot.  Possibly from the radiant heat from the concrete where they're set. They could probably also use some space between them to encourage more airflow, but with their height they might get a little tippy without some type of support.  Dunno about transplanting them during fruiting due to the temperature difference of the ground and their rootballs being in a container.

• Like 7

I didn't do much gardening this year. I planted a couple of strawberries in my berry patch but didn't get much from them. I did get a nice crop of raspberries from my feral raspberry plants in that patch. I had a couple of hot peppers that I was wintering over in the dining room.  The ghost pepper died in February,  but my scorpion is fine but it really needed to be repotted and I only just did that the other day so I don't know if it will produce much this year. We'll see. It's still got some time. My cayenne peppers would always give me a ton in the last possible month. Wish I had been able to winter those, but they failed a couple years ago. (In fact I think the scorpion was using their pot.)

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

Your pepper looks nice.  Tomatoes look like tomatoes do in August. When temps go below 90 they should perk up. I see a few yellow flowers, that's good.  Let their soil dry out a bit and soak them. They like good deep watering, but they don't like to be wet all the time. If you can move them off the concrete into shade that would be better. Concrete is just reflecting heat onto them. 

9 hours ago, Seer of the Pitt said:

@Marineal  Looks like they're getting too hot.  Possibly from the radiant heat from the concrete where they're set. They could probably also use some space between them to encourage more airflow, but with their height they might get a little tippy without some type of support.  Dunno about transplanting them during fruiting due to the temperature difference of the ground and their rootballs being in a container.

Awesome. Thanks so much guys! I will try and move them. Last time I put them in the shade, I found a copperhead in between them....gonna get more space between and see what happens!! Lol

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@Marineal Air is supposed to be a good insulator. If the plants in the buckets are getting too much heat from direct contact with the concrete could you use planks or something to lift them up?

A pair of long 2x4s perhaps. 

But that might be useless if the air itself is +99° :mellow:

Could you set the buckets on the grass next to the concrete? (I bet the grass+soil underneath is lots cooler.)

Just spitballing ideas for you. Full disclosure: most plants under my care have perished. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marineal said:

Awesome. Thanks so much guys! I will try and move them. Last time I put them in the shade, I found a copperhead in between them....gonna get more space between and see what happens!! Lol

Also, when you water, don't spray them with the hose.  Water at the base of the plant.  Hosing them down can make them susceptible to disease.  Water early in the morning, if you can, and check them in the evening.  If you can get some mulch to cover the soil it will help with water retention.  That can be straw, or grass clippings.  Your soil looks like a good  mix, but the tomatoes are using all the nutrients so next year you're going to want to add fertilizer or compost to it.  This year they might benefit from a small amount of liquid fertilizer, like Miracle Grow.  You can buy it in powder form and mix with water. The "all purpose" or "tomato" plant food is under $10.  A little goes a long way. 

• Like 7

Since your tomatoes are in buckets, a sheet of plastic or a lid to the bucket if it came with one, cut out so it doesnt' touch the stalk but otherwise shades the soil (and still allows airflow underneath it) could also help with water retention in your soil.

• Like 6

Awesome advice y'all. I don't wanna throw them in the yard and end up with big dead spots on the grass, so this is what I worked out for the time being. The Great Bearded One or I will be able to go to Lowe's for supplies to build a raised thing soon, but for now I have some giant cardboard boxes to try it on.

They have more space, some insulation from the hot concrete, and maybe they will shade the concrete some. 

I have added some more of my worm tea and a little worm dirt to throw a few more nutrients in there. I will look into some more liquid stuff, and maybe some taller cages!

Y'all are the best.

20200818_194541.jpg

20200818_194517.jpg

• Like 11

Well, it looks like I might have lost most of my tomatoes to bugs - something appears to be eating or at least taking bits out of the tomatoes. One of the three plants seems okay last I looked. Any suggestions for prevention/getting rid of what is eating them. No sign of what is doing it will quick inspections.

• Sad 6

12 hours ago, Marineal said:

I have added some more of my worm tea and a little worm dirt to throw a few more nutrients in there. I will look into some more liquid stuff, and maybe some taller cages!

Y'all are the best.

Worm tea is probably one of the best liquids you can feed your 'maters.

1 hour ago, Aerowiz130 said:

Well, it looks like I might have lost most of my tomatoes to bugs - something appears to be eating or at least taking bits out of the tomatoes. One of the three plants seems okay last I looked. Any suggestions for prevention/getting rid of what is eating them. No sign of what is doing it will quick inspections.

Any picks of the damage? We might be able to guess at something from that.   Otherwise you might want to try to check at different times of day, it could be something only active late evening or early morning.

• Like 3

Man, you really have to keep on top of Okra once it gets going.  A lot of production and the pods don't spend a lot of time at the ideal size.

2 hours ago, Aerowiz130 said:

If you are losing whole leaves and small branches then it might be a tomato hornworm.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 1