Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure we're going to get much this year from our garden.  Had that weird cold spell where everything froze, followed by weird heat wave when it was over 100 for most of a week, followed by a month of hard rain where stuff began to rot.  Only recently started having "normal" weather.   Peppers don't want to grow, tomatoes are confused and not setting flowers, lettuce won't grow.  3 of the 4 cucumbers are trying, though.  Honestly looks more like early June than July out there.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
41 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Not sure we're going to get much this year from our garden.  Had that weird cold spell where everything froze, followed by weird heat wave when it was over 100 for most of a week, followed by a month of hard rain where stuff began to rot.  Only recently started having "normal" weather.   Peppers don't want to grow, tomatoes are confused and not setting flowers, lettuce won't grow.  3 of the 4 cucumbers are trying, though.  Honestly looks more like early June than July out there.  

Good! Then that means I'm right on schedule. Right?

RIGHT?!

Tell me I'm right.

Edited by Pegazus
  • Haha 5

Got a small harvest this weekend.

CA20FE61-C804-40DE-8138-C254361F95DF.thumb.jpeg.bc1972f5d8575be8fee6dcdf6af8dc72.jpeg

That’s two deep frames and one super frame of honey. The two deeps are “done”, but they are getting too unwieldy inside the hive. They are probably double the width that they should be and were causing problems. The one in the back is obvious with the two large scrapes down the front. The short super frame is fully capped so is ready. The rest of that box is almost ready to be taken off and jarred, and it weighs close to 30 lbs or so (‘bout 14 kg for our metric minded). A super is only about a hand tall, so that’s dense. 

The second super is nearly full as well, so I added a third box during today’s inspection. It’s getting tall. They also completely consumed a pollen patty in a single week, which was a hint I saw in a YouTube video. Sure enough, they needed some protein in the diet. Gave them two patties this week so they can continue going gangbusters. 

• Like 9

I started my honey harvest practice by working the box from last year, which isn't honey since I was feeding them sugar syrup (standard stuff). I call it my Grade F Bee Spit. But figured since I'll be feeding it back to the bees I currently have this year by mixing it with water when the time comes, that would be a great way to practice my harvesting skills on something that has no retail value. Especially since I'm not going to invest a lot of money on one of those fancy extractors. I'm a small-time backyard beekeeper. I'll just do it by hand.

Scraped the comb and tried to get it to drain, but that really didn't work well. So I decided to simply shave off all the comb into a big pot, then strain it from the pot.

That's. Incredibly. Slow.

So I went to Method 2. Put some of the now comb/honey mixture into a cheesecloth and squeeze. And squeeze. And squeeze.

Extractor bought and shows up this week. Screw hand methods.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Well, a little harvest came in. Not plants, but the bees. One hive. Two honey supers. Total yield was 7 gallons and 74 pounds of the gooey gooey. 

Here’s what that looks like (orange tom for scale).

22B81270-38F6-409F-BDED-6E2C80AB88B7.thumb.jpeg.4698d91132bfea5877e327b36c1edab8.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Well, a little harvest came in. Not plants, but the bees. One hive. Two honey supers. Total yield was 7 gallons and 74 pounds of the gooey gooey. 

Here’s what that looks like (orange tom for scale).

22B81270-38F6-409F-BDED-6E2C80AB88B7.thumb.jpeg.4698d91132bfea5877e327b36c1edab8.jpeg

How many hives do you need for that much honey?

Also: Cat is like: "I gotta knock down *all* of these pots off the counter? I'll be here all day!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

How many hives do you need for that much honey?

Also: Cat is like: "I gotta knock down *all* of these pots off the counter? I'll be here all day!"

Believe it or not... ONE. That's all from a single hive. There's a reason I call it the Apes**t hive.

And I've got two more honey super boxes on it, which I don't expect to get anything from... but we're getting good rains which makes weeds which means the bees may be busy. Then I glance over at the Layens hive. And the Resurrection hive. And I ponder the amount of honey I may actually wind up with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Believe it or not... ONE. That's all from a single hive. There's a reason I call it the Apes**t hive.

And I've got two more honey super boxes on it, which I don't expect to get anything from... but we're getting good rains which makes weeds which means the bees may be busy. Then I glance over at the Layens hive. And the Resurrection hive. And I ponder the amount of honey I may actually wind up with.

If you're going to be at Reapercon, PM me and I can help you out there.....

• Like 4

Our garden is a mess. Didn't want to sprout in May. Froze in late June. Only a few mm of rain all year. But I've been watering the [email protected]#! out of it. Mid July I was too busy with other stuff to spend much time on it and the weeds went nuts. After that it was so hot I couldn't stand to work in it as long as I should have each day to catch up. But despite all that we eventually got 90% of the weeds killed down and I'm starting to get some stuff. Only 1 tomato plant grew back after the frost but it's blooming and has 1 nice tomato already. 1 type of lettuce is giving us more than we can eat. Peas and beans are almost normal. Carrots are small but still have time to grow. Potatoes generally do ok. Cucumbers and zucchinis are blooming and starting to show something. There's a bunch of bare patches where things didn't recover from the frost and some things are late but at least it's growing. For awhile I didn't think we'd get anything. The wife has a much smaller patch in the back yard in town and it missed the frost and looks normal.

• Like 6

This has been a lousy year for us too.  Late freeze, too much rain, not enough sun.  I dug up the garlic last week and it is drying.  That's about the only thing that did well.  Beets didn't make it.  Peas died off early after repeated plantings.  Lettuce just didn't want to grow.  Entire row of onions just vanished, too wet I suspect.  Chard was doing well, but something has eaten most of it, looks like bugs.  I went out today and dusted everywhere with wood ash.   One of the jalapeno plants has some small peppers, but the bell isn't doing anything.  It should be falling over with fruit.   Had a few cucumbers, usually a good producer, not vigorous this year.  Tomatoes just started coming in last week.  

This morning I picked a few things:

IMG_20210808_115816534.jpg.55d62dbae78f6315e151035fc6fc9227.jpg

Those are yellow pears and sungold, the red ones are cherokee purple (green/brown on top when ripe).  Cucumbers need more water. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

My dahlias have started to bloom!

I moved last summer and missed a whole season due to other priorities. It’s a fresh slate and it’ll take a few years to get it where I want it but it is great to see massive, colorful blooms starting to grace my garden.

C187E6E9-1C86-44AE-ABE6-E767B3475161.jpeg

1F592151-B2E9-428B-B34B-5629EB88918F.jpeg

B123C80C-5F70-4F33-81F7-578057800910.jpeg

• Like 11