Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

lowlylowlycook

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

We didn't get cold enough to snow, it's just raining.  Last year was bad for tomatoes in the midwest. Keep trying. They like water and sun, which we don't always get in combination. 

Yeah, had lots of rain last year but not lots of sun. Was good for the bees tho.

• Like 1

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife bought me a bag of oyster mushroom mycelium a few weeks ago and I got my first harvest today. 26 ounces of fresh mushrooms. The mycelium is still nicely moist and there appears to be enough for a couple more harvests. I'm going to be eating soooo many mushroom dishes in the near future. Definitely not a bad thing. 

IMG_20220326_141825996_HDR.thumb.jpg.68fc531ab0d388f8db46550b119d41c0.jpg

• Like 9

NICE!  I have wanted to try that sometime.  What's involved in getting it to grow? 

3 of my 4 tomato seeds are up.  Giving them a little window sunshine today.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

What's involved in getting it to grow? 

Not much. I just had to cut a hole in the bag and get the substrate damp with a bit of water and then just mist it every day until it's ready to harvest. Then tape the hole shut, cut a new hole somewhere else, and do it again. Not nearly as complicated as I expected it to be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, the tomatoes died for unknown reasons.  Probably too early to have started them.  However, I have some bulbs blooming: 

Crocus:

IMG_20220315_115421128_HDR.jpg.53c2ca33284ff6fe0eda48effb510ca0.jpg

Hyacinth:

IMG_20220322_101829685.jpg.d6e0b4ccd05bf90a68bc8bb74042715c.jpg

Tulips:

IMG_20220411_115349583.jpg.6bbe94affb87bb38fcbedc0b438d35c8.jpg

IMG_20220411_115334778.jpg.392d839c2fe4fb562a8516d6d2593073.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Anybody here know of flowers that whitetail deer don't like to eat? Lady C is tired of feeding these guys.

Deer will eat pretty much anything if they're desperate, but they really don't like foxglove or peonies. Trouble is, it's because they can be toxic (at least with foxglove) so that's something to consider if you have small kids running around. They really don't like  cranesbill geraniums (wild type, not the ones for hanging baskets) and mint, lavender and basil, but they're not that pretty- even if they are useful!  

Our temperatures are creeping up, which is a good thing- this was the temperature range in the mini greenhouse recently! 

IMG_20220401_105835945_HDR.thumb.jpg.7b8e5a49013c0477dfcac2dc28a8fa4b.jpg

Edited by Kuroneko
Double post due to bad phone signal :(
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Anybody here know of flowers that whitetail deer don't like to eat? Lady C is tired of feeding these guys.

Quite a few actually, but they're all native species so they may not be the big, showy flowers that a lot of folks like. Also, being in Ohio some of these may not grow well in the south...

Bee Balm - super pretty purple flowers

Black Eyed Susan - and most of the coneflowers for that matter

Most of the native Iris species

Butterfly Weed - tiny little orange flowers and a great resource for pollinators all over North America

A lot of the Lobelia species are deer resistant, one of my favorites is cardinal flower

Gayfeather - look it up, it's awesome

There's plenty of Marigold species that deer won't eat, I'm mostly familiar with Marsh Marigold, but I'm sure there are others you could plant

If you have any damp spots consider Swamp Milkweed, it's gorgeous

Wild geraniums are usually left alone

And check out Bergamot flowers - my mom usually plants them and the deer never seem to mess with them.

Hope some of that helps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Aren’t daffodils basically just poison? I’d think the deer wouldn’t eat that. Though they are exceptionally dumb.

• Like 3

Started cleaning up the garden in earnest today, mostly digging/cutting weeds.  Replanted lettuce and chard and put a hardware mesh tent down to keep the cats off it.  (not shown)

DSCN2824.jpg.80d3feaafaafc374b6a85b919404e58b.jpg

Strawberry bed (hoop at left) is getting made over next, DH has cut the lumber.  Strawberries and garlic are running wild over most of my plot this spring. 

Tested the sprinkler, it works.  Hose, however has a hole in it.  I wonder if it can be greenstuffed when dry.  

And my dutch tulips are blooming: 

IMG_20220423_113628683.jpg.01c6000d5b91fb7eb3e96b02f7afa18b.jpg

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 7

Mini greenhouse is full to bursting, I really need to get some stuff planted out soon. Just potted up some begonia corms and dahlia tubers from a company in @Glitterwolfs neck of the woods, here's hoping that they do well.

IMG_20220428_151609608_HDR.thumb.jpg.9b5fdc6fb07cdf653dabf5431d10e462.jpg

The tiny, super cheap violas that I bought in late February are going crazy and I'm probably going to have to buy some more planters to do them justice

IMG_20220428_151540365_HDR.thumb.jpg.fa3f5b6d3501cdb6f55d7b2e2ec75c5a.jpg

• Like 7

Trying my hand at gardening this year since I have my own place. I have weeded my garden and mushrooms have grown in their stead. I guess my soil is nutritious. 

Easiest thing for me to do is make a compost pile. Time to research what can start seeding this month.

• Like 6