Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

lowlylowlycook

resisting the urge to count my figs before they're ripe, but I'm really excited about this. We've had the tree since summer 2019. No figs the first year, got two the second year (summer 2020).  Then that big nasty freeze hit and despite my efforts killed off almost all of the top of the tree.  Summer 2021 was almost all new growth on the tree, and so again it didn't really put any figs on.  Summer 2022 is starting to look like the year we're going to get a decent amount off of it.  It's got three main trunks that all look like this.  
Digging out the bird netting to drape over it.  I don't wanna share.

figgy.thumb.png.1db299d73424e40337310e40781a862e.png

• Like 7

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a reason you can't sell the honeycomb? Or is it because you're not a business?  I rarely see it for sale these days. Do you do anything with the wax after you process the honey out of it? 

I'm slowly getting my garden into shape. It's been a combination of rain, fatigue, rain, and bad timing this year.  Despite that I'm getting the best strawberry harvest we've ever had, more than we can eat.  Had some pea pods come in, and started picking lettuce.  My 3rd seeding of tomatoes is almost to the point I can plant them.  The nursery tomatoes are growing well.  It's time to put the cucumbers in, too. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 8:12 AM, Inarah said:

Is there a reason you can't sell the honeycomb? Or is it because you're not a business?  I rarely see it for sale these days. Do you do anything with the wax after you process the honey out of it? 

Colorado has a “kitchen craft” or something law that actually makes it totally fine, along with baked goods, mixes, and other food products. We sold nearly all of our fall honey at farmer’s markets and her craft stores (and one craft store handled the farmer’s market).

Instead it’s a more practical reason in that the honey wasn’t capped for the most part. Uncapped honey isn’t “finished” and so is susceptible to crystallization and even molding. Capped honey is at the right state of dehydration that prevents those issues. But selling the uncapped honey would lead to some customer angry and mad that they bought “defective” food. I am avoiding that hassle by giving it away to those I know and can explain what could happen to it. 

I actually have a kit on one hive right now that is purposely made  to sell honeycomb. It has little plastic cassettes that the bees will build in, and when it is all capped over, you remove the blocks, put a lid and label on it, then off for sale it goes. 

• Like 5

Some garden pics:

Garlic and Tomatoes. Herbs in the near bit:

Summer_22_1_1.thumb.jpg.71c9477df52649ae3dd78ac542d46c73.jpg

In the back, Kale and cherry tomatoes, Foreground are peppers in cloth containers which are doing much better than previous attempts in the ground or plastic containers.

The trash can is occasionally filled with water so I can dunk a watering can instead of run out the hose when just a few plants need a drink.

Summer_22_1_2.thumb.jpg.ea27c9a04cc36b52e31f8e8d40ff0ef8.jpg

Okra in front beans behind there and cucumbers on the trellis in the far corner.  In the corners are some small zucchini plants that are behind schedule because I accidentally planted some cucumbers in those spots.

Summer_22_1_6.thumb.jpg.5b49d2db83fd302cf7e60239cc3cd464.jpg

This guys wings are seriously not large enough for flight...

Summer_22_1_4.jpg.a05e23fee7d9b803b27b30081a813051.jpg

A sunset:

Summer_22_1_5.thumb.jpg.3af95f1af54d98c8f642fea0ddf4e0b5.jpg

• Like 5

Two frames from the Layens hive, probably around 24 lbs (11 kg) of honeycomb, boxed up and awaiting labels. 

1EF86FDE-B46E-486C-8E2E-9877D9818A4D.thumb.jpeg.abe16ab01958f8be1e15d15efff8ba59.jpeg

Wife is going a little crazy that we have so much honey left from last year. She’s got plans for honey straws, coffee stirrers, and bagged candy. 

• Like 7

Mine's not quite there yet, may be another month.  My onions, OTOH are nuts.  I've never seen them go to bloom in the first year before.  I pulled one, not much bigger than when I planted it.  

• Like 2

Awww. Hive inspection found that the horizontal hive was dead and completely robbed out. That was not expected.

Plan to pull a couple of frames from the <simian euphamism for crazily active> hive and put them in the dead one. With luck, they'll move right in and make a queen. They may be able to grow up enough to make it through the winter.

• Like 5

On 7/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, Pegazus said:

Awww. Hive inspection found that the horizontal hive was dead and completely robbed out. That was not expected.

What robs a beehive?

• Like 1