Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpenter bees are cool bees. They have a territory and will patrol it every day. If you happen to be in it during the patrol they'll come say hi, in that they'll buzz around your head once then move on. If you're in it often enough they'll decide you belong there and come check on you (and your whole garden) every day. The males can't sting. The females can but tend not to.

You probably have a nest in a telephone pole or a wood pile somewhere. 

Note: territorial behavior based off of experience with the California Carpenter Bee.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Carpenter bees are cool bees. They have a territory and will patrol it every day. If you happen to be in it during the patrol they'll come say hi, in that they'll buzz around your head once then move on. If you're in it often enough they'll decide you belong there and come check on you (and your whole garden) every day. The males can't sting. The females can but tend not to.

You probably have a nest in a telephone pole or a wood pile somewhere. 

Note: territorial behavior based off of experience with the California Carpenter Bee.

I have two that live in my porch.  I am not sure if they are the same bees or new ones each year but they appear in March and disappear in October.  their Home is a couple of holes under a section of unused bannister in the gazebo of my porch.  They don't cause trouble and I don't have the heart to throw them out.

• Like 8
On 6/24/2020 at 3:23 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

And so it begins...

IMG_20200624_161920395.thumb.jpg.7ed6dd040ea1d894f060fc6e5c9b50bc.jpg

Lucky. Some insect has now eaten all of the zucchini plants I had. The squash isn’t doing well either. Only three of the eight bothered to sprout, and only one has more than three leaves. Tomatoes are doing well tho. 

• Sad 6

Zucchini and other members of the squash family are prone to worms. Eggs are laid by little white butterflies, under the stems at ground level, and the larva eat their way into the leaf stems of the plant and kill it.  The only solution is a daily morning inspection and removal.  I usually don't bother to plant them, but this year I got 2 yellow squash on clearance and thought I'd give it a try. 

I'll keep an eye out for the bee. There's a number of places it could be living. 

Got another handful of peas yesterday.  The peppers are starting to flower. The sweet potatoes survived transplant.  Generally all is well except two tomatoes have died.  One did not take to the transplant and one got nibbled on and isn't thriving.  Something in my compost left a ton of seed and has erupted in the open spot around that 2nd tomato. Can't tell what it is yet. It rained hard last night so by the end of the week I should be able to ID it. 

I stomped down all the mouse/vole tunnels and have not seen new activity. Maybe the cats did eat them after all. 

• Like 8

I've finally caught up on processing and uploading our garden videos!

Week 5: https://youtu.be/bM3K55xc0p0

(there is no week 6)

Week 7: https://youtu.be/k9rD-XVY1V8

Week 7, special potato episode! https://youtu.be/ANEEo_Ic9Ew

Week 8: https://youtu.be/O7AcvSUlD7o

Again, nobody may be interested in these besides MrBoot and I, but we've been having so much fun making them! I would recommend the potato episode at least, it's fairly short and I'm just super excited about my first (tiny) potato harvest! There's just something so satisfying about realizing that you can pull food right out of the earth that you grew your very own self. :wub:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 8

Spent a little time in the garden this weekend. Zucchini plant is getting huge, close to 3.5' in diameter now, I'm desperately trying to train it up into a tomato cage but that's not working, I  may just have to let it have half the bed.  Multiple blooms, but still no squash :(

local garden center clearances their calladium bulbs for .25 each.  I may have spent a small bit of cash there....

• Like 2

Missed this thread. Our garden went in after the 15th of May, that’s because it’s the average date for the last frost of the year. We haven’t had a garden since we had to remove the beds on the south side of garage a couple of years ago. I convinced my wife that perhaps we could do gardening with having to bend over so much this time around and maybe even less weeding. Here is the fruit of that discussion.

1D4A5842-4D55-4932-AA3F-7BF5459DF09F.thumb.jpeg.c79b30f8694cc283568a610a7549d80d.jpeg82799F08-1AD3-4728-AFA6-EBB2A0660C51.thumb.jpeg.d8e9a63d4ccef890bb6d76bf326344b6.jpegC81741F8-6553-4146-B62C-5531187D05EE.thumb.jpeg.d466fdde19085cad7aa4771c9a4af7f1.jpeg8F2B29B7-44E4-4A3E-A15F-88510D2B2E2E.thumb.jpeg.6f64e359b3c6b7a3fff48aac54ad7f22.jpeg

The raised beds are in an area we cal the “outback” which is basically uncultivated. The regular cultivated backyard is to the left. This was the initial planting. Things are going pretty good so far. Had to replace all the peas and cucumbers after a hail storm. So far no pests and two weeds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8" Should be good for all but the bigger tomatoes and squash. Might be hit or miss for root veggies, not sure how much they'll plump when they feel crowded.  Pretty much anything else should do fine.  

Fine looking aerial beds there.

Forgot to share that we just got a monster for the house this weekend too. Working on getting an appropriate pot for it.  

105546266_10163707338090262_1579653102593024110_o.thumb.jpg.8d82be6297edd4413a7cdabdbaa5f55e.jpg

• Like 7