Planting, Growing and Harvesting. A garden thread for all.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First cucumbers of the season. These are about 6", a nice size.  Sometimes they hide and end up like zucchini, full of water and foot long.  Variety is Pick-a-Bushel. It is very prolific, and resistant to our midwest mildew and mosaic virus problems. 

DSCN1634.jpg.c017eb21e6e45fdce54e1ef6df54dfa7.jpg

And this is what I did with one of them:

DSCN1635.jpg.d04df738f1864cc4844579ea2e9edc11.jpg

Mix 2 parts vinegar to 1 part sugar, with a pinch or two of salt.  Make enough brine to cover the cucumber slices.  Add herbs and other vegetables if desired. Dill is nice.  I've put thin slices of red onion in mine. Green onion works, too.  You can add sliced carrot, radish, cabbage, etc.  It's best if it sits an hour or two but can be eaten immediately. Keeps in the fridge overnight but is best fresh. 

• Like 11

You're already getting things and ours is barely growing. We planted in the middle of May which is about the earliest we ever do but a lot of it didn't want to sprout until way into June. Potatoes and onions look great but most of the cucumbers, carrots and zucchinis are barely growing. Hoping they grow fast and we don't have the extremely early snows of the last 2 years. Getting tired of digging potatoes in the cold and mud.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Marineal said:

I have about 35 little yellow flowers growing on my tomatoes, and 2 little peppers going!

How do I know when they're ready to pick? Do they just fall off in my hand?

If you want a green pepper pick it when it's green, if you want a ripe one wait until it turns color.   My peppers were looking poorly enough that I picked my peppers when they were quite small to give the plants a chance to grow.

You might have quite a variety of tomato plants so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.  

• Like 6

Unexpected benefit of growing one's own food: taking a bite of cold cereal, deciding it really could use some strawberries, and being able to remedy the problem immediately. ::D:

Unexpected side-effect of using one's own berries: discovering that while the berries taste fine on their own, the sugar in the Honey Nut Cheerios completely drowns out the (still kind of low) amount of natural sugar in the berries, resulting in a comparatively acidy taste instead. :wacko: Lesson learned for next time! 

It also doesn't help that I've been inclined to pick my few berries a couple of days early, so I get a chance to eat them before the snails/slugs, dirt microbes, or occasional squirrel do. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Put in a drip system today. Included the leafless pepper plant (the twin that was doing better was dug up and murdered by small paws; not sure if beagle or squirrel), the leafless tomato, and the leafless squash. They all have been hanging on for over a week now so I will give them a fighting chance. Mistook end-of-line drippers for in-line ones so had to redo a lot of them. Did it in the morning so it would not be so hot but wound up the morning sun was hotter than the afternoon when it clouded up. Grr. Polished off a huge container of Gatorade (52 oz) so I think I sweated just a bit much. 

Didn’t get to everything I wanted to do garden wise this weekend but I can do a bit during the week I suppose.

• Like 8

@Pegazus my drip line got cut in several places and I had to rip it out earlier this spring to do repairs.  Hasn't happened yet and likely won't until it cools off this fall. 

Picked 3 more cucumbers today.  Getting a bit tired of cukes in vinegar, going to make up this slaw recipe for tonight.  It's a bit of chopping but well worth it.  I'll make about half the recipe (1 apple and 1 of my small cukes) minus the peppers for DH. That's enough for 2 people. 

Crisp Apple and Cucumber Salad

Servings: 4
1 Tbsp white sugar
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp minced dill
1 Tbsp minced parsley
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp minced garlic
1 medium fresno pepper
1/2 cucumber (peeled and cut in small strips)
2 granny smith apples (cut in small strips)

• Like 7
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 10:11 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

There is literally no way that a zucchini should be able to get this big before I see it.

IMG_20200709_203951019.thumb.jpg.1d861521bba948582719c4e996ee50af.jpg

I suspect that gnomes super glue them to my vines at night.

Zucchini skin.  Nature's first stealth suit.  If you live in New Hampshire the really big ones will sneak into the back seat of your car while no one is looking!  They don't lock cars there to keep the car, they lock them to keep the zucchini out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

While our little urban garden will never be big enough to replace store bought veggies. It's certainly big enough to make some meals interesting. Case in point: just put a zucchini and hot pepper stuffed meatloaf in the oven on a bed of green beans! And oh man, did those peppers smell so good 

• Like 8