My first miniature is done!! Thoughts??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome to the Forum.

That's great work especially for a first!

I would like to see the other side as well.

Thanks!! Sure once I get off work I'll post a bunch of angle shots! :)

Edit: more angles available now! :)

Edited by Wroberts316
  • Like 1

Absolutely smashing! Great work!

As has already been said, those eyes are brilliant! Kinda gives me confidence as a fellow rookie (that, might I add, is scared to death about painting eyes) that I might be able to pull something like that off... hmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, MusicalFeline said:

Absolutely smashing! Great work!

As has already been said, those eyes are brilliant! Kinda gives me confidence as a fellow rookie (that, might I add, is scared to death about painting eyes) that I might be able to pull something like that off... hmmmmmmmmm.

Haha you totally can!! I made a handhold out of a medicine bottle and "green stuff" and it really made smooth painting much easier. :) plus with a small enough brush tip anything is possible! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Wroberts316 said:

Thanks!! Sure once I get off work I'll post a bunch of angle shots! :)

Edit: more angles available now! :)

Thx!

Now I can see the pattern even better, awesome!

I love painting reptiles myself, you did a great job.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Nope. 

I refuse to believe that that is you first. 

I bet you have a whole shelf absolutely stacked with painted minis.    

Haha thats the eventual goal! But no this seriously is my first. :) I just watched a bunch of videos and got inspired on the base. :) im working on the lich now, which is proving much more difficult with the smaller details, but I think it is going well thus far. :) ill post some pictures of it later on. 

6 hours ago, Iridil said:

Very nice first mini - eyes, basing, pattern ... welcome to the addiction! 

Haha you have no idea how apt the word "addiction" is. Im very close to grabbing the 36 paint set from army painter along with about 10 more minis. I also have my custom character Kythax arriving this week from Hero Forge. :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Auberon
      I looked back a few months and didn't see any group/open WIPs so maybe nobody does them anymore.  I have been around long enough to remember when they were a thing so I'm willing to give it a go.

This thread is for anyone to post their work in progress shots from the Dungeons and Lasers kickstarter, be it figures, props or terrain. Or animal companions.  Or dragons.  Really you have options.

I am starting with the wooden cottage.  I went to the store and purchased some DecoArt craft paints to use for my terrain.  They were chosen by eye for how they should look but I need to paint something to see if they do work.

First, priming!  I have white, I have black.  I went black.

There's no pic of it, but after this I gave my test piece a wash of dioxazine purple mixed with a little black. It will just make sure the black is not a "pure" black.  Then I went over all the raised details with a heavy layer of Dark Chocolate. More than anything this is just to cover up the black and make a base for the actual wood paints.

This was followed up with my two base colors, Milk Chocolate and Burnt Sienna. Picking out individual boards was a bit too tedious for for terrain and doesn't really give me much benefit.  For the rest of it I'll just paint the Burnt Sienna in patches.

The grid is somewhat disguised here, but if it is too disguised that also is a problem.  I plan to make each square darker in the middle and then lighter around the edges.  This calls for some Honey Brown.

I got some Honey Brown in the wood grain so I did an experiment with two different ink washes to restore the wood grain.  One was Raw Umber, the other was Burnt Umber.  To the naked eye I thought the Burnt Umber was a little richer in tone, but in practice I don't think it will matter.

Honey Brown back around the exterior.

And pop the edges with some Buttermilk. A bit much?  Probably so. I tried a half-step with the Honey Brown/Buttermilk but it wasn't quite right either. The detail is deep enough though that I can just go back over it with the Honey Brown and not worry about building up too much paint.

And more to come!
    • By planetmut
      I painted Space Marines from 1988 to around 1994 and then fell out of the mini painting hobby. I just got back into it and the Grave Wraith is my first effort. As I was stuck on how to paint him apart from covering him in black, I had a look around and based his look on this one by Vulture but decided to go with purple rather than blue. The sword, which I thought would be a doddle, caused me all sorts of problems (I kept overthinking it) until I just went with a gold hilt and silver blade. I have yet to base him — in the photo I have him sitting on top of a small jar. He was photographed at f6.3, 1/25s.

A few random thoughts while I was painting him:

Wow, these things are smaller than I remember.

Flash! AAARRRGGGHH!

My eyesight has really gone down the tubes since 1990...

Any criticism/advice is welcome as I can't wait to get on with painting another figure (probably 03374 Ragnaros, Evil Warrior)

• By Chris Palmer
      Over on the Ghost Archipelago thread in the Fantasy forum, I posted about a toy-elephant head I glued to a Bones Bugbear to make a creature called an Eritherean, which is featured in the Bestiary for those rules, and is essentially an elephantman.  This led to a long discussion, and the inevitable gluing of the spare Bugbearhead to the Elephant's body.

It also made me realize how addictive head-swapping is, and since it was beginning to derail the Ghost Archieplago thread, I thought I'd open a new thread here for everybody to share any head-swapping projects they were doing.

To see the original thread, and subsequent discussion:

And here are the photos of my efforts so far:

So what have you been working on!?

• By knarthex
      so....

The painting funk has lasted for 4 months, and I need to get my cranium out of my anal orifice and start painting again....
      Posted Thursday at 09:46 PM So....

While on the hangouts with some folks that play 40K, we have been talking about stuff, and I went to look for a figure that I knew I had, and didn't want, that @Chaoswolf thought was cool, and found the following:

Now this is the basis for my mechanical Obliterators that I painted way back in 2003? and brought to Reapercon last year

where they got a silver medal in the open category

Speaking with one of the judges afterwards (@dks) we discussed them, and the painting dragged them down, as I said old paintjob...

Well, with my painting funk in its 4th month, I was thinking that maybe, I could re do a new one from scratch, and with all the sculpting things I have learned, as well as painting techniques, I might be able to do better...

Now Reaper forbids entering the same piece twice, but this would be a reprisal of something I did years ago....

Would this be legal as a new entry?
      @Heisler care to comment?

George

@Heisler's response
      As long as the entry is an entirely new piece and not one of those three then it would be a perfectly legal entry.

My response...
      thanks @Heisler
      really hoping this will kick out the brain weasel painting funk!

For some reason, I couldn't cross quote so....

It's gonna be ugly for a while....

the raw components:

lots and lots of surface grinding with the Dremel tool, and sore fingers.....

But hopefully, I've learne a bit about painting and sculpting since I did those guys, and this time, there will be only one....

• By ub3r_n3rd
      Doing a Show-off thread that is to have everyone post a pic of their first painted mini (or around the time you first started painting) and their most recently painted mini that they are most proud of painting up.

I'll start it out because I want to show where I've come from and where I'm at now in terms of abilities and to have others realize that they've come a long ways in the hobby as well!

First painted mini was for a Pathfinder Group member and he wanted to play the Imrijka, Iconic Inquisitor back in 2012, so I decided to try painting her up and here's the result!

Now, skip ahead 5 years to my most recent figures/busts that I'm going to enter into this year's ReaperCon. 

Nosferatu-

Darth Sana-

I also love doing vignettes and dioramas so being able to help tell a story is a big part of the hobby for me.

Please feel free to add in your own figures your first few and your last few if you like, show everyone where you started and where you are now!
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)