Sign in to follow this  
Dan S

Lets talk slobber, snot and drool!

I have seen many great slobber and drool effects over the years and I know that there are many techniques for achieving the effect.  I was wondering who here had added drool to enhance their miniatures before? And whether they would be willing to share a picture of the finished model and what they actually used to pull off the effect.

I am currently working on a Great Worm which would look great with a dripping maw, but after almost 3 days painting it, I am worried about ruining the model with a technique I am inexperienced with, and seeing some finished articles would probably help in making a decision into which technique/products would work best for me.

Thanks

• Like 2

I do not have a picture but the easiest way to add free standing liquid is to use clear fishing line as the core.  Super glue the correct size piece to the model, then use two part epoxy resin to bulk it out.  I have used similar to build up water effects. 

This one is built up over clear plastic then inked. 

Spoiler

IMG_1362.jpg

This is a good toot on the technique. Scroll down a little bit.

The resin can be coloured with either inks or acrylics.  For general saliva inside the mouth attached to surfaces use acrylic gloss medium.  My two cents.

Edited by snitchythedog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, snitchythedog said:

I do not have a picture but the easiest way to add free standing liquid is to use clear fishing line as the core.  Super glue the correct size piece to the model, then use two part epoxy resin to bulk it out.  I have used similar to build up water effects. 

This one is built up over clear plastic then inked. 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_1362.jpg

This is a good toot on the technique. Scroll down a little bit.

The resin can be coloured with either inks or acrylics.  For general saliva inside the mouth attached to surfaces use acrylic gloss medium.  My two cents.

Nice little guide.  I actually did a little test with epoxy resin, but my mistake was trying to draw my slobber strands onto baking parchment and allowing it to dry, results were poor! if I can get hold of some fishing line I'll be sure to test the technique out at some point.

Vallejo Water Effects ( the pasty kind) starts white, dries clear.

gall.JPG

DSCN6572.JPG

DSCN6570.JPG

DSCN6569.JPG

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Vallejo Water Effects ( the pasty kind) starts white, dries clear.

gall.JPG

DSCN6572.JPG

DSCN6570.JPG

DSCN6569.JPG

That actually looks pretty promising, I don't have any water effects to hand but I do have some clearfix which I used as a cheap household alternative to water effects during the 'Scenic River' diorama I posted recently, I think I could achieve a similar effect.  How does the 'Water Effects' set?  Is it hard like plastic?  Because the clearfix is quite rubbery and has a silicone consistency when dry.

Also 'hot damn!' that's a really cool little model you have made there.

Edited by Dan S
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dan S said:

That actually looks pretty promising, I don't have any water effects to hand but I do have some clearfix which I used as a cheap household alternative to water effects during the 'Scenic River' diorama I posted recently, I think I could achieve a similar effect.  How does the 'Water Effects' set?  Is it hard like plastic?  Because the clearfix is quite rubbery and has a silicone consistency when dry.

Also 'hot damn!' that's a really cool little model you have made there.

There are several kinds, for this effect I used this one.

Dries clear and like hard plastic.

image.png.8559501f5bcb3ed02284eda29eb89c41.png

• Like 5

I made the drool on the fellow by using human hair(mine!), attaching them to a stick and then just dabbling superglue onto them. Took maybe 4 layers of glue to get the effect.IMG_20170329_231059.thumb.jpg.7d1ba99b584d95acf3a12d6c7bca7877.jpg

Apologies for terrible picture 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

I made the drool on the fellow by using human hair(mine!), attaching them to a stick and then just dabbling superglue onto them. Took maybe 4 layers of glue to get the effect.IMG_20170329_231059.thumb.jpg.7d1ba99b584d95acf3a12d6c7bca7877.jpg

Apologies for terrible picture 

Looks great, but it would never work, I haven't had hair in years!  :lol:

Joking aside, that's an interesting technique, I might experiment with some cotton and see if I can emulate it.

Edited by Dan S
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan S said:

Joking aside, that's an interesting technique, I might experiment with some cotton and see if I can emulate it.

Just watch the first application to make sure the superglue does not caused the cotton to smoulder. 

• Like 2

I've done this with a couple of minis so far: a gibbering mouther and the Xanathar

I superglued lengths of clear nylon "invisible thread" and spread Vallejo water texture over it. It's semi-sculptable with a damp brush, so you can push it around a bit, and even bridge strands across small gaps without needing the invisible thread. And for the larger globs I built it up over several layers.

• Like 1