Sign in to follow this  
Talae

Dinosaur 1944

Dinosaur: 1944 is a cooperative strategy game about army men vs. prehistoric monsters. In it, you and up to 3 other players control brave soldiers in a World War II setting, struggling to save the entire world from the threat of a Mesozoic rebirth. It is in part a battle game, as you maneuver around the map and fight the enemy. It is in part tower defense, as you place ambushes to help take out or slow down the incoming fiends. Each hero has unique strengths and weaknesses – your victory depends both in mastering your own hero and cooperating with your friends.

As the game progresses, you face more numerous foes and dinosaur bosses enter the field. Eventually you face the final boss – defeating her wins the game. Beware: if the dinosaurs devastate your base camp, you’ll be stranded on Kyuryu Jima, prey to the horrors therein.

e04f1dc99904ebe9653cbb63d66b3b06_origina
8eeaf12a5d057e4f5dc396441ac0c1c3_origina
54f1a79b11245f01f2bbb21de84fcd13_origina
3dbfa2f0c536af5bbb376adbddcac3cc_origina

• Like 1

Actual link to the KS: http://kck.st/3hxxToG

He's pretty good. This is the brain behind Chthlu Wars and Arkham Horror.

Here's the full catalog. Most get a 7/10 which is pretty good on BGG. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/7522/sandy-petersen/linkeditems/boardgamedesigner

This game looks like fun,  But I'm so overextended on the budget right now I'm on the fence.

Sandy Petersen is also the mastermind behind Call of Cthulhu and therefore much of what we know of as the Mythos in RPGs (and gaming in general since it was the inspiration point for many games). 

• Like 1

The Dinosaurs look like fun and I was expecting this to be more of a temptation when it launched.    If it was interesting enough I was prepared to overlook my past frustrating experience with the delivery of CW3.

The price point was definitely a refreshing change from Kickstarter bloat prices but beyond that it hasn't really distinguished itself enough. 

Apparently this is a reskin/revision of Orcs Must Die! which had a mixed reception.   I didn't play it but this is causing friction in the comments.

Glancing at the rules play it seems a little bit straightforward: Dinosaurs attack your camp and you try to kill them.  Maybe I don't get it.  Is there more to it than that?  Honest question.

Backers have been commenting on the weak design of the tiles since the imagery on the edges don't meet up.  I have to agree that this would be annoying.

There is an expansion referred to in the rules where you can play the dinosaurs.   I would have preferred to have that be an option in the core game.

They are also promising more dinos, tanks and vehicles in the comments but this is a pretty short kickstarter -only 8 days left.

Honestly this is sounding like other Petersen projects where they make design decisions based on a hermetic logic that leaves their would-be supporters frustrated.  Just my two cents.

• Like 2

I read D.I.Webb's speech in R.L. Emery's voice for some reason.......:lol:

Interesting concept + it would be nice if the dinos were scaled to fit in with 28mm figures.

3 minutes ago, haldir said:

it would be nice if the dinos were scaled to fit in with 28mm figures

They are.

31 minutes ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

Apparently this is a reskin/revision of Orcs Must Die! which had a mixed reception. 

Orcs Must Die and Planet Apocalypse are both tower defense type games. This on is as well. My understanding is that this one falls somewhere in between for complexity. In contrast to OMD, Planet Apocalypse has been really well received so far.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Talae said:

They are.

Orcs Must Die and Planet Apocalypse are both tower defense type games. This on is as well. My understanding is that this one falls somewhere in between for complexity. In contrast to OMD, Planet Apocalypse has been really well received so far.

Have you played OMD?  I am only asking because there is a person in the comments for D1944 saying the posted rules are the rules from OMD with some words changed.   Apparently they are about to post an update discussing the topic of OMD.

Arthur has also commented that D1944 is lighter than PA.

5 minutes ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

Have you played OMD?  I am only asking because there is a person in the comments for D1944 saying the posted rules are the rules from OMD with some words changed.   Apparently they are about to post an update discussing the topic of OMD.

Arthur has also commented that D1944 is lighter than PA.

I own OMD but have yet to get it to the table.

• Like 1

Here is the update referenced above about how this game relates to Orcs Must Die and to Planet Apocalypse in terms of gameplay: Update #7: Dinosaur 1944 and Orcs Must Die: the boardgame https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/dinosaur-1944/posts/2866592?ref=android_update_share

It seems that the complexity is closer to OMD than PA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talae said:

They are.

Nice! Normally I don't pay much attention to board games even if the minis are nice but this has peaked my interest!

• Like 1

Looking forward to all the reveals for this game. Not %100 sure I'm going to back it, but it has piqued my interest and I'm all for giving Sandy Peterson some money. Can anyone offer any insight on the FAQs obsession with penguins?

9 hours ago, Talae said:

Here is the update referenced above about how this game relates to Orcs Must Die and to Planet Apocalypse in terms of gameplay: Update #7: Dinosaur 1944 and Orcs Must Die: the boardgame https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/dinosaur-1944/posts/2866592?ref=android_update_share

Much appreciated. Surprisingly, it's pretty rare to see a comparison between games from a publisher, KS or otherwise.

CMON, btw, puts out 2.0 versions of their games (eg. Rum and Bones 2, Zombicide 2), including putting out standalones which are upgrades but nobody notices (eg. Cthulhu: Death May Die vs. The Others). 

My guess is that KS boardgames have so much content that backers, who may already have closets full of unplayed games (pretty norm in the boardgame hobby :P and that KS allows shorter version cycles, that you'll more often find backers who find themselves "stuck" with a "previous version" of a game. (Wonder how many of them remember the CCG treadmill days, though... (:

2 hours ago, Fnordlover said:

Looking forward to all the reveals for this game. Not %100 sure I'm going to back it, but it has piqued my interest and I'm all for giving Sandy Peterson some money. Can anyone offer any insight on the FAQs obsession with penguins?

It is a running joke. There is a playtester and longtime backer that has been pushing for years for Cthulhu Wars to get penguins added to the game (from one of the Mythos novels - Mountains of Madness maybe? ). It finally happened in the last Kickstarter but is still an ongoing joke.

• Like 3

As this one nears it's end the only thing that has kept me from backing it is that they haven't posted shipping on the Tyrannosaur level. I want it all, I just want to know how much it will cost.