Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Shartan

Lighting set up

I'm looking to improve the lighting set up for my painting. I have seen people using LED lights attached to things like hulu hoops cut in half, and secured to old DVD's. Can anyone recommend or suggest what type of LED lights would be the best to use ?

Thanks in advance

Reverend Shartan

Definitely go here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85399-work-space-lighting/&tab=comments#comment-1807688

I think as far as LEDs go, you want a full spectrum bulb.  Careful of "sunlight" bulbs as they can give very cold light (with no warmth).  I use a combination of LED and incandescent for painting to try to get full spectrum without buying new bulbs. How you mount them is as myriad as the stars.  Mainly you want the light to come from behind you--so it hits the subject directly away from you--but not so behind that your head shadows your work.  I like the hoop idea--arch it over your workspace.  I worry it would also shine in your eyes without some extra work.

TL;DR  Find full spectrum, not necessarily daylight, bulbs.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 1

I believe this is more of the idea the OP had in mind:

archlight1.thumb.jpg.6e17132792a2139ef0d301edfb13a1cd.jpg

Mathieu Fontaine uses a similar set up (not this exact one pictured, couldn't find a good enough pic). I think what you want to find is strands of LED lights. From the tutorials I found online to build something like this (which ranged from simple to very elaborate), most seem to recommend daylight LED bulb strands.

Google "miniature painting light arch" and you should get some hits for how to make one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I believe this is more of the idea the OP had in mind:

archlight1.thumb.jpg.6e17132792a2139ef0d301edfb13a1cd.jpg

Mathieu Fontaine uses a similar set up (not this exact one pictured, couldn't find a good enough pic). I think what you want to find is strands of LED lights. From the tutorials I found online to build something like this (which ranged from simple to very elaborate), most seem to recommend daylight LED bulb strands.

Google "miniature painting light arch" and you should get some hits for how to make one.

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the link :)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Reverend Shartan