Sign in to follow this  
UristTheChampion

What washes should I get?

Hello, I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or have broken some rule, I'm new here. I'm really trying to improve my miniature painting and I thought that it would help if I bought some actual washes instead of just thinning down acrylic paints. Are the washes that Reaper sells any good? If not, what company's washes are the best? I'd like to avoid the GW shades if possible, as they're just so expensive.

Thanks!

• Like 1

(IMO) one bottle of Aggaros Dunes or Skeleton Horde can be used on everything and will last you years

Army Painter quickshades are cheaper though. 

Reaper's "inks" are really paint washes and tend to go on muddy (in my experience). 

• Like 4

While I dislike most GW paints, their washes are in fact quite good, and they're larger bottles.

That said, I only have the black and the brown one. I mix all my other washes. I have one Reaper wash, and while I love most Reaper paints, their washes are less good.

I'd say just get yourself a bottle of flow improver and keep mixing your own. Flow improver helps get the wash into the nooks and crannies better.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, UristTheChampion said:

Would you advise getting all of the washes, or would I only need a few?

I mainly use their Strong Tone (brown) and Dark Tone (Black) but have found some colors to be useful for my needs. Depends on what you paint.  If you're doing an army of space warriors you may want the colored inks more than if you were doing a horde of barbarians and wolves. 

• Like 3

I would suggest the Army Painter Quickshade set, the dropper bottles not the jars. Comes in lots of different colors and will last quite a while I don't think I've finished a bottle yet and I've had them for several years now. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

While I dislike most GW paints, their washes are in fact quite good, and they're larger bottles.

This. You only really need three: Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade and Seraphin Sepia. I have washes from multiple companies like Vallejo, Army painter and so on, and nothing works so good and is so matt like GW's washes.
Yes, they are overpriced, but they will probably last years.

• Like 6

On 6/20/2020 at 4:49 AM, Cicciopiu said:

This. You only really need three: Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade and Seraphin Sepia. I have washes from multiple companies like Vallejo, Army painter and so on, and nothing works so good and is so matt like GW's washes.
Yes, they are overpriced, but they will probably last years.

Yeah, as much as I hate paying GW prices their washes are really good.   To be honest though, I haven't tried Army Painter or Reaper washes.  I have tried Vallejo though and prefer GWs.  I keep Agrax Earthshade, Nuln Oil, Seraphim Sepia, and Reikland Fleshshade around.  I'd think you can get away without having the fleshshade if you want to.  Sometimes I've sued Seraphim Sepia instead of Reikalnd Fleshshade depending on my mood.

For any other specific color I just mix up my own wash with paint and water.

• Like 2

For I'd either get GW or Army Painter. I'd probably suggest getting one of each to start with and see which you like better. For colors I'd start with a black and dark brown, then a flesh and sepia. Beyond that I'd just make you own as needed for most color and only buy something if you has a specific reason to.

• Like 3