Sign in to follow this  
Jmerril

Question About Thinness

I've recently started painting some of the Bones I've been collecting and I've been running into an odd issue. Every so often the Reaper paints just don't seem to hold to the Bones minis. As an example, I've included a shot of the Lich I was working on for my game. I was using Dragon Blue from the Bones paint line for the tattered part of his outfit, but it seemed to just be sliding off, to the point where the plastic is still visible through the paint as outlined below. I had a similar problem with using Wilderness Green on his skirt, but when I switched to Forest Green it took like a duck to water. I only seem to have this problem with the Bones minis and Reaper's paints.

1) I did wash the mini and let it dry before painting.

2) Paints were well shook before use

3) I'm not using a wet pallet; instead I'm doing bits at a time onto cardboard if that's affecting anything.

4) The Reaper paints all go on wonderfully when I use them on Wizkids miniatures

5) The Bones minis never seem to have any problems with Army Paints or Citadel Paints

Is this a me thing? And if so, what should I be doing differently?

Weak_Paint.png

• Like 1

Bones are hydrophobic in nature meaning that if the first coat is too thin it will bead up or just not stick. You can avoid this by using a coat of one of Reaper's liner paints (any except the sepia liner work this way). It act as a primer of sorts and seems to help the issue. I had this problem A LOT before I started using brown or blue liner to "prime" my minis. 

• Like 5

Ahhh, then I wonder if the brush size might not be playing a part as well? I had switched to a finer tip and it may not have been carrying enough. I appreciate the info and I'll look into the primers for my next round!

• Like 2

you might also try Badger's Stynlrez through an airbrush. Shoots straight from the bottle and does not obscure details (it shrinks up amazingly well, even if you spray a bit much), and it comes in a ton of colors now.

• Like 4

You may paint directly on bones, without diluting paint, if the first coat do not cover, give it a second coat.

But... IMHO it's way better if you prime them. Airbrush is the best for priming, but Reaper's liners seem to work pretty well if you wanna use your brush.
Also there are a lot of brush on primers from Reaper, Army painters, Vallejo, etc.

• Like 3

I don't have Dragon Blue, but I do have Wilderness Green.  I put some on a fresh mini I got from the Bones 1 KS (or pretty soon after that), so an original white Bones mini.  As a test, I did not wash the mini first.  I was able to get a nearly even coat on the first layer with undiluted paint.  On a cleaned mini, I would expect to do at least that well.

If you're using undiluted paint on cleaned Bones plastic, it should apply well enough.  I'd try again on another mini to see if the problem is consistent.  If it is, you might want to report your issue to Reaper at [email protected]  There's always a chance the paint is not 100% for some reason.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 1:42 AM, Cicciopiu said:

You may paint directly on bones, without diluting paint, if the first coat do not cover, give it a second coat.

But... IMHO it's way better if you prime them. Airbrush is the best for priming, but Reaper's liners seem to work pretty well if you wanna use your brush.
Also there are a lot of brush on primers from Reaper, Army painters, Vallejo, etc.

Can also airbrush the liners. I use Vallejo airbrush primer on Bones and it works great. Also mixed that primer with brown or blue liner for it - still works great.

On 6/20/2020 at 2:40 PM, Serenity said:

I don't have Dragon Blue, but I do have Wilderness Green.  I put some on a fresh mini I got from the Bones 1 KS (or pretty soon after that), so an original white Bones mini.  As a test, I did not wash the mini first.  I was able to get a nearly even coat on the first layer with undiluted paint.  On a cleaned mini, I would expect to do at least that well.

If you're using undiluted paint on cleaned Bones plastic, it should apply well enough.  I'd try again on another mini to see if the problem is consistent.  If it is, you might want to report your issue to Reaper at [email protected]  There's always a chance the paint is not 100% for some reason.

Some paints just adhere better than others, even within the Reaper line. And even thinning the paint via damp brush has messed up applying first layers to Bones figures, from my experience. The first layer needs to be thick if you aren't using primer, which is unfortunate.

• Like 3

This is a common issue with Bones.  It is addressed extensively in thread titled  "Bones: The First Cost is the difference" started by Wren in the Bones section of Reaper Discussion on this forum.  

Personally, I have good luck using Reaper Brown Liner to prime smaller Bones minis and Army Painter Colour Primer for large minis especially those with flat areas.  FYI, the Army Painter colors seem much better than their white or black primer. 

With the exception of Vallejo Mecha primer, my experience with brush on primers has been they do not adhere well to Bones so I would not recommend them for minis that will be used for gaming where they will be handled a lot.

Edited by ferret
  • Like 4

Since I got an airbrush I just  zenithal prime everything, Bones or not, with Stynylryz.  It seems to work fine.

However, for the record, Anne Foerster doesn't prime hers.  She just gives it a wash with soapy water (let it dry well) and then base coats.  In her videos she usually says to start with a ratio of somewhere between 4:1 and 6:1 Paint to Water for basing then you can thin as much as you want after the first coat.

I haven't tried that yet, but next time I paint a Bones figure I think I will.  Just need to get through Mansions of Madness and Descent figures and hope we don't buy any more expansions in the meantime. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ferret said:

With the exception of Vallejo Mecha primer, my experience with brush on primers has been they do not adhere well to Bones so I would not recommend them for minis that will be used for gaming where they will be handled a lot.

I haven't tried this primer, but as I understand it the Mecha primer is Vallejo's version of Stynylrez and is pretty similar in formula and how well it works.  I do have the Mecha matte varnish and it's turned into my favorite for both brush on and airbrushing.

Stynylrez is what use for primer and it's works great with an airbrush or brushed on.

• Like 4

My preferred primer on Bones at the moment is Liquitex matte medium (or MSP brush-on sealer) plus MSP Liner plus a little water.  I add more or less Liner depending on how dark I want the undercoat to be.  I have Stynylrez, from ReaperCon swag bags, and I'm going to try it out, too.  I've used straight Americana craft paint on the base for a Bones 1 dragon, and it sticks well.  In general, I've been happy with how acrylic paints and mediums adhere to Bones, as long as they are cleaned of oils. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, Ratmaster2000 said:

Badger's Stynlrez

I use this stuff as a brush-on as well. In fact, with CoVid around, you might as well get a variety pack from an airbrush company. Brown (Ebony Flesh), Black, White, Metal, and Light Flesh are my most commonly used colors (4 oz), then grey, blue, green, red, yellow, and gold (2 oz). With color primers, you can follow them up with a wash (eg. Army Painter Quickshade Ink Set). This should get you to tabletop, then you can use hobby paints for further detailing.

Alternatively, Reaper paints can be used directly from the palette onto Bones. Maybe have a drop of thinner on the palette so you can thin on the brush as you paint.

Brown liner works fine, too, although I usually use brown on dirty grubber monsters (and am holding out until Reaper has it in the 4 oz. size :D

Craft paints can vary, but if you already have any, experiment (eg. on the sprues). I'm lucky that I have some brown and grey craft paints that stick to bones and I use these colors for basing. See if you can "zentihal prime" by painting the miniature black, then drybrushing in white. Then paint with hobby paints. (Search on "zenithal priming" for its proper definition in miniature painting with spray primer, which you may not want to use on Bones b/c of spray paint solvents).

• Like 3