Sign in to follow this  
MaskedRiderChris

How Long Before Spray Primer Needs Stripping?

I just got a miniature from eBay that the seller tells me was primed two weeks ago--does this merit stripping and reapplying primer? It will be a little bit before I get to this one since I have two other projects ahead of it. I suspect I ought to, but second opinions always help. Thanks in advance, y'all!

Is the figure plastic or metal?  What was the primer used?  Does it seem to be evenly applied, or is it sticky, fuzzy, chunky, or missing spots? 

Generally a spray primed metal mini can sit in your closet for months, years, or decades and be just fine. 

• Like 4

Indeed, if it looks good and takes the paint well there is no need to strip.

Usually you strip primer/paint when somebody did a bad job or when the primer reacted wrong due to humidity or something and made the mini look grainy or something.

• Like 4

If the primer is still sticky after 2 weeks, strip it. PineSol or Simple Green will take it off without harming the mini.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MaskedRiderChris said:

It's a plastic Warhammer miniature, and it was primed 2 weeks ago, and it actually looks really clean and even. So I gather I don't have much to worry about? Thanks all of you for the input!

I'd gently wash it to remove any finger oil and if that doesn't hurt the primer you should have no problems with it. In general as long as it stays clean more time after priming isn't going to hurt anything and with many primers waiting 3-7 days between priming and painting is actual better.

The point of primer is to make paint stick - one day, or one year, or however long. As long as it was applied well (not gloppy, not sticky), and it is clean? All good. I wouldn't use soap on it once primed, but a rinse is alright. Finger grease does indeed mess with paint staying on surfaces.

• Like 1

Primer actually becomes more durable as it cures. If you want the sturdiest miniatures and you can you want to prime at least a few days before you paint. I have heard that you can heat cure it a little too (run a hair dryer over it for a bit.)

As an alternative to washing it you can also brush it over with rubbing alcohol to lift up grease that might have been deposited from handling. I use Q-tips, though the tips can fray. If you have an old synthetic brush that would likely work too.

• Like 2

It is really easy to overthink this. It does not really matter how old the primer is. Just use a checklist:

Is the primer dry and looks good? Just go for it.

Is it dusty? use a big / old brush to dust it off. then go for it.

Is it sticky after several days? Strip it. Strip it real good.

Is it patchy or flaky? (This might happen if the model was not washed,  to remove grease or talc from the moulding process, before priming. This has been more common with metal or resin models that I have purchased second hand. Rarely a problem with plastic or PVC minis like warhammer or Bones.) Then you might want to look into stripping it, or just give it a proper wash with soapy water and an old toothbrush after brushing with a stiff brush to remove any loose or flaky primer, and when dry, give it a new coat of primer.

Be aware that some resins react poorly to stripping and might be damaged or go permanently soft and bendy. Some types of stripping fluid (nail polish remover and acetone) will melt plastics such as the toothbrush and polystyrene (warhammer plastic). Google what you have to find a stripping fluid that suits your material

Edited by Maledrakh
  • Like 3