Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Grumpy Gnome
I finally finished some of my Ridgeback Miniatures Gundabad Orcs and Goblin Mercenaries as well as some GW Cave Trolls.
More photos and details on my blog…
Advice, suggestions and feedback welcome!
By Grumpy Gnome
Awhile back I was inspired by a gamer on the internet who had converted some Goblins into Gnomes. So I decided to try something similar but with my own style. Unsurprisingly, after I did this I found several other folks online had had similar ideas as well. Including JFA of Hagglethorn Hollow fame.
A bit of greenstuff and a change in the usual colors… presto! Gnomes instead of Goblins.
In hindsight if I was doing this again I think I would use different arms, weapons and shields on the two melee models but otherwise I am pleased with how they came out. Of course they are rather big Gnomes.
The next Gnomes I convert will be from Wargames Atlantic Halfling Militia….
Presenting Brutogg Corpse-Eater, my first finished adventurer from the game Cursed City by Games Workshop.
Had a lot of fun painting this guy, I experimented by giving him grey-hued skin to represent his unhealthy eating habits (he eats zombies) and it worked better than I thought it would.
Annoyingly though, I had to leave the bits under his coat unpainted (just couldn't get a brush up there), nobody will notice unless they turn him upside down, but it still bothers me that he's technically "Unfinished".
As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
Using the long weekend to my advantage, I got a decent paint in on this guy. Meet Gronk.
Trying to do a more comic-style paint job, I did less wash and more highlights with bold color.
* The two-toned leathers look fun and eye catching where they need to be.
* Staying to as simple color-scheme as possible helped me draw this one to a close. (Brown, Orange, Green, ivory, red)
* The eyes came out really good and I finally managed one of those little reflective white dots in the corner of the right eye.
* Opting to not color-up every single ribbon or fold as a new color and simply stick to the simple palette helped me keep pushing forward.
* The shield came out great! If you look close on the edges and near the dents, there's small orange highlights that are really faint. Probably my favorite small thing on this model.
* Not digging his green skin highlights. Did a Green base, then ink wash, then went back over with same green, then brought up by adding white. Placement of the highlights is off as well as not understanding light. Crux for me.
* Metal sword over all has a good look to it. Can't seem to use the Vallejo Metals for edge highlighting. Too runny. Need to swap to regular metal paints and use edge of brush. Love the Metals, but they are so thin and spread so quickly.
* Struggled with doing boots. I want to darken them, but using black just seems too easy. When they are super dark, I can't figure out how to bring the color up. Lame.
* On the dino skull on his shoulder something bad happened. I went over it with bone color like 3 times to make sure it was thick enough. Then did a wash to bring out the dips and dirty it up a little, but I guess pulled up the bone color before it dried - even though it was sitting for 15 or more minutes before I hit it. That sucked. Fixable, but not sure why I hate that color so much.
* Learning how to be 'subtle' is something I need to develop. It's almost like I'm needing to see big swings in the color to make my eye train to it being different, but the reality is subtle would be better.
I recently acquired the latest of Games Workshops Warhammer Quest games:- The Cursed City.
I'd actually like to completely paint one of these things for once, and thought a project thread might help!
First, I built everything (Well, maybe everything. Games Workshop continues to be kinda weird about this game, so I'm not sure if it's getting expansions or not):-
And then made a spreadsheet. I can't batch paint, so even simple minis (like the rats and skeletons) I've put in small groups to help maintain momentum.
I rolled a 5 (actually I rolled a 30 and then a 32, but I know this project is doomed if I start with a rat pile instead of something interesting):- Brutogg Corpse-Eater, unusual Ogre:-
I've made him a simple base (I've been spoilt by all the integral ones I've been dealing with lately), mostly sand with some broken flagstone patches made of putty, and gave him the usual White Primer and Brown Wash undercoat.
Leaving him to dry overnight.
Who's Online 15 Members, 1 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)