• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      After the Northern Penguin aka Great Auk were hunted to extinction in 1844, the convergently evolved Penguins of the southern hemisphere continue to eke out their existence in the Antarctic.

Of course, the reality of the north and south poles being totally separate worlds has never stopped people from making stories and images with, say, polar bears and penguins in them. Or walruses. (Or Pandas).
      Such as here at the North Pole where Santa lives, we also find Ice Golems using Giant Penguins as guardians on leashes.

Sic 'im, Mumble!
      This is another mini from the Ral Partha Europe kickstarter "Wicked Wonderland" featuring the Evil Santa I painted around Christmas, and some other polar creatures.

They are cast in metal, I made a 60x35mm base for them.

Sadly, the christmas minis seem to have gone from the RPE webside. Maybe they are only availabe for Christmas?

That still only counts as one, since they are connected and on the same base.

Hey! I could've sworn you were tap-dancing just now!

The three large penguins are from the Reaper Bones 4 kickstarter's Fan Favorites expansion, and released to retail together with the Dire Penguin as the "44104 Penguin Attack Pack".

The smaller penguin comes from Reaper "02848 Familiar Pack V" and is made in metal. I painted it as a chick on account of the perfect size.

And the Dire Penguin:

Because, of course there has to be Dire versions of Penguins too. It craves your fish!

This one did not want to be photographed against this background, and turned overexposed and invisible. We'll call it well camouflaged. I had to faff about with global settings in photoshop to make these pictures even viewble. The rest of the photos were unusable.

I painted it for the Reaper challenge league's January three colour challenge: choose and use any specific blue, green, pink. together with white and black from Reaper's paint line. Mixing allowed, but only with those specific colours. You can see which ones I used in the picture.

I chose to paint it as a kind of wierd Albino Penguin, and only mixed in a small amount of the green for shading.

I did not have any other reaper black left, and had to use Nightmare Black which is a very dark blue black.

I mean, Dire Penguin? That is some serious Cosmic Horror right there. Where is a Shoggoth when you need one to come and clean up?

Featuring minis from:

Ice Golem & Giant Penguin

Ral Partha Europe

"Wicked Wonderland" kickstarter

metal

-

44401 Penguin Attack Pack

Sculpted by Jason Wiebe

Bones Black

25mm bases.

Penguin from the 02848 Familiar Pack V

Sculpted by Sandra Garrity or Michael Brand

metal

15mm base.

The reaper minis are all available from reapermini.com

These minis were finished on Jan 23rd, 2021.

• By Maledrakh
      Oh, look a cavern full of valuable crystals. Hm, a tight fit. I am going to take off all my armour so I can crawl in there...

From the Bones 4 Darkreach expansion

44049 Stone Lurker
      Sculpted by Jason Wiebe
      Bones Black
      60mm base

I think tentacles are all the more horrid when they are fleshy.

This would be a Roper for D&D, in case that was not obvious. A stalagmite-lookalike ambush predator that waits for the unwary to pass by, coiled tentacles at the ready to spring out and drag the victium into its hungry maw. Dungeon delvers beware.

• By Maledrakh
      or, Contrast Paints vs Old Bones, continued.

A while ago I painted an old Bones model in contrast paint, just to see how it would turn out. Actually, not too shabby was the answer.

Now, the thing is that I have a couple of drawers full of minis that are undercoated all in white. These are mainly from the first Bones kickstarter and Drake the Dragon Wargame. (I don’t even remember why I used white primer. Maybe I was all out of  black primer spray or something.)

I have been rummaging a bit again, and been looking at these minis, to be reminded exactly why the old Bones 1 pc-type minis were consigned to the Drawers of Oblivion™ in the first place. Bendy. Soft. Shallow details. Faces without noses. Hands without fingers. Weapons made for poking around corners…, mould lines that are really diffucult to remove as they need to be carved off...and sometimes go through details.
      They were doomed to stay there in Limbo forever as I never considered those models to be worth spending time on.

Well, I paint to relax. To get the sense of something done. I am not one of those that need every single mini to be the best they can be. That is for a very select few minis.

But I do like to have my models painted and on the shelf and not just undercoated and hidden away in some dark drawer. Even the ones that do not capture my imagination.

The Plan

So, what I have done for now, is to assign ten of my mini holders (=old glass paint jars with a big lump of blue tack on the lid) to "Project Colouring In". This is a long term project where I select ten of the old white undercoated models, stick them on a mini holder each, and place these minis all over my painting desk. Every time I open a contrast paint, or even have some other paints left over on my palette, I will try to get some of it on to one or more of these models as well.

What usually happens when I have semi-painted models cluttering up my work space is that over time I get sick of the sight of them and make an effort to finish the offending models. So the idea is to get the older models painted in addition to whatever I am actually wanting to paint, simply by nickeling and dimeing them like this.

When one is done, I replace it on the mini holder with another of the old minis. In this way, I should ever so slowly manage to churn through the collection, if given enough time.

Maybe this whole plan will go the way of the shelf game (which is, the way of the dodo) and the partially painted minis will just go back in the drawers. But maybe not...and the plan might just about work. We shall see.

The key is to get some paint on the models and not be too fussy about anything. Laissez-faire! Sure, it's lazy painting, so what? These are models that would never get painted otherwise. (And they still look better than Mage Knight prepaints. Admittedly, that is mainly because I care enough to paint the eyes.)

So anyway.

I did three last week. Here are seven more:
      clicks gets youse pics

• By Maledrakh
      From the first Bones kickstarter:

I am diving into some more of the white-undercoated Bones 1 models that are cluttering up my Drawers of Doom, models that for some reason or other have been stuck in limbo never to get to painted-heaven. These Bones are mainly painted with Contrast Paints for speed.

This is 77119 Sinessa, Hellborn Sorceress.

It was part of the "Bedevilled" subset of the Bones 1 Core set.

Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi. 25mm base.

The Skin is Flesh Tearers Red Contrast with a careful drybrush of thinned Citadel Wazdakka Red Layer on. The Gold is Vallejo Necro Gold and old Chestnut Ink.
    • By Maledrakh
      I am diving into some more of the white-undercoated Bones 1 models that are cluttering up my Drawers of Doom, models that for some reason or other have been stuck in limbo never to get to painted-heaven.
      This was painted mainly with the so-called "one and done" method; a single coat of Citadel Contrast paints on a white undercoat, apart from a few details in regular paint, such as the sword and belt buckle done in metals and the whites of the eyeballs. Some black used for blacklining around some of the edges and Vallejo Sand Yellow for the hair.
      The rim of the base needs a second coat of black.

77164 Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard.

Sculpted by Derek Schubert. 25mm base.

It was part of the "Half Sized Heroes" subset of the Bones 1 Core set.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)