Sign in to follow this  
SparrowMarie

Gluing Bones to Wood

I'm looking for something to stick Bones, specifically Ma'al Drakar's terrain, to a wooden base. It's not thick enough, at the area I want to place it, to pin effectively.

What kind of adhesives would work? I'm thinking epoxy, maybe? I just /really/ don't want to melt it accidentally and have to buy a new one.

A 2-part 5 or 10 minute epoxy should work. I've not had that melt bones yet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Epoxy or superglue will work fine - the only things you really want to stay way from would be the things with strong solvents in them like model glue...

In order to get a really good bond, take a bit of fine grit sandpaper to both surfaces to rough them up a tiny bit.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would not use super glue because I have had wood just soak it up and not stick to whatever I was trying to glue to the wood. I have had good results with gluing things to bare wood using tacky glue, then milliput all around the seam, including under and between when I can. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'll second the epoxy and Gorilla glue; both have worked pretty well for me. If you go with Gorilla glue, make sure you use some clamps to hold everything together while it sets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

good advice above.  a test will prove out the particular glue you're interested in.  try gluing a bones sprue to the same type of wood you're interested in.  that'll be the best proof of it being safe or not.  and with a mal, i advise this level of caution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tested superglue, white glue, and 5-minute epoxy in my original Bones tests. The specific products I used and the tests are listed in the link below. Superglue did the best overall. The one it was weakest at was untreated wood. It worked fine on MDF. I don't know if sealing the wood or painting it some would help create a stronger bond, that might be worth testing. I used HobbyTown store brand superglue, which I think is a rebranded version of a pretty common brand. I have since tried Loctite ultragel, and I'm a believer. I haven't tested it on wood, but it was so much easier to work with for assembling a big pile of Bones that I worked through recently.

No chemicals that I tested on Bones affected the material significantly. I'm not saying that there aren't chemicals that could, just that I didn't notice anything like that with putties or glues. Even the issues that people have with primers, I don't think those affect the Bones, I think it's the primer coat just never curing correctly. 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Wren said:

I don't know if sealing the wood or painting it some would help create a stronger bond, that might be worth testing.

Yeah, it generally does - particularly sealing the wood. When I use superglue on bare wood, I always put down a layer or two on the wood first to let it soak in and cure so when I glue the pieces together it has a better surface to grab onto.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have used the craft glue E6000 to glue bones to my bases (wooden disks years back) and now reaper plastic bases. For me it has never degraded the Bones material. Granted, after I adhere it, and put down rock/basing material, I usually cover with Gesso that makes all strong as nails and creates another layer of adhesion.

E6000.thumb.jpg.f5d19471cbff6200b9692889acf697ae.jpg

MedusaonWoodBase.jpg.c1fe15c967bf56e271599e4bf672f277.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When affixing my Ma'al Drakar to a wooden base, I superglued it, then hammered a nail through the bonesium into the wood.

I superglued my Mossbeard to a wooden base, too, and ran a screw into his foot from the bottom for extra support, too. Both worked fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

most of the general glues will work.  If you want a better adhesion on something like superglue and you are using a soft wood like pine or basswood, put down a layer of varnish, shellac, or urethane and then rough is back up with a little sandpaper.  this will create a bonding surface to work with on the wood and prevent the thinner glues from penetrating deep into the wood and not sticking around long enough to stick to the model.  I haven't had much luck with white glue and Bones, it tends not to bond well but any epoxy or superglue seems to work just fine.