Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Jim Holloway, RIP

Jim was one of the iconic RPG artists of my youth. Be it the original Paranoia artwork, the near totality of the 2e AD&D Monster Manual, and many Dragon Magazine articles.

While mostly black and white line drawings (though he did plenty of full colour paintings), his art may not have been the most elaborate, but his style of using strong shadows and silhouettes was quickly recognizable. And his characters were among the most expressive, particularly if the context was sillier and lighthearted (Paranoia).

He will be missed.

• Like 4

A man of great skill. I loved his dwarves and his goblinoids especially. Godspeed.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Jim was one of the iconic RPG artists of my youth. Be it the original Paranoia artwork, the near totality of the 2e AD&D Monster Manual, and many Dragon Magazine articles.

While mostly black and white line drawings (though he did plenty of full colour paintings), his art may not have been the most elaborate, but his style of using strong shadows and silhouettes was quickly recognizable. And his characters were among the most expressive, particularly if the context was sillier and lighthearted (Paranoia).

He will be missed.

Yah I really loved his b&w line artwork. Just something about it.

Thou, some of his best work was in Oriental Adventures. Some of those color works, very nice.

Anther RPG Tier artist gone (the Tier being (for me) Elmore, Easley, Parkinson, Caldwell & Holloway).

• Like 2

Jim Holloway was EVERYWHERE in gaming products in the eighties. The original Pacesetter "Chill" game and the original "Paranoia" used his artwork, I believe, to the exclusion of all other artists, at least in the main basic sets. And I remember his work in the FASA Doctor Who supplement, "The Daleks." 

The guy was a part of it all. I wish his family the very best.

• Like 3

He fit Paranoia like a hand in a glove.

image.png.f3d0dcc5fd4abc21fe8d6c1caa7e0392.png

He could bring a smile to my face, and those smiles are something I am going to miss.

Rest in peace, Mr. Holloway.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4