Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Welcome to Getting to Know You, July 2020 Edition.

The rules as they currently stand ( we all know most of you rebellious lot will ignore most of it, but one can try)

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 

2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
3. Questions are going to be posted between 8:00 hours and 12:00 hours CET. ( Central European Time)
4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 
5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
7. Weekend questions will usually take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

I will be a bit slow on posting the questions the first few days here as I am furloughed from work until July 7 and am not getting up early just to get you lot a question. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I will be a bit slow on posting the questions the first few days here as I am furloughed from work until July 7 and am not getting up early just to get you lot a question. ;)

Slacker. So says the guy that got up after 10 today because I slept terrible and it's a holiday.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 1: What did you do after high school (or equivalent in your part of the world), e.g. college, trade school, service, etc...?

Work on the farm because my two older brothers left to make lives of their own. It was 5 years before I escaped and headed out to get my Electronics Service Technician certificate.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 1: What did you do after high school (or equivalent in your part of the world), e.g. college, trade school, service, etc...?

I went to culinary school at a local tech school. I then waited around a year to take the pastry arts course before graduating. So I feel like I did a bachelor's degree worth of work for two AAs.

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

University to study Computer Science, got bored of that so transferred to a Bachelor of Arts in History

Finished that, got a job, went back and did a Masters of Applied Science (Library and Information Management), that may have helped me get a job in my current institution, and I've been here ever since...

Edit: of course, I'm now mostly doing stuff that is more closely related to what I studied in my 12 months of computer science than anything I did since - so that grounding has been a significant advantage.

Edited by ratsmitglied
more detail
  • Like 11

25 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Work, college, work, more college. Work, grad school, more work...

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

3 years of university studying mechanised agriculture. Realised I didn't like/wasn't as good at physics and more advanced maths than I thought I'd be. Majored in being something like a drunken frat boy until I got tired of city life and went back to the farm. Never finished my degree which is a small regret even though I would never have used it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Began a fairly successful and very fun career in the military. (US Navy)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Fun Story:

Organized education and I had never really gotten along very well. After twelve years of school, I was completely burnt out. (And dealing with mental illness issues.)

And my parents were telling me they didn't have any money for college.

And my grades hadn't been good enough to get any scholarships.

So I decided to join the Army.

I took the ASVAB test (scored like 92% percent on it cuz I didn't know anything about engines), signed a bunch of paperwork, had like three signatures to go and the recruiter told me he'd call me in a week after he filed some paperwork....

A week and a half later, I still hadn't heard from him, and was about to go back and talk to him....

Which was the day that Iraq invaded Kuwait.

And suddenly my parents somehow magically had money for college. :rolleyes:

Although I hadn't actually applied to any colleges, a high school friend of mine had sent in an application to UCONN for me just to annoy me. And I'd been accepted.

So I spent three semesters as a Psych major at the local UCONN extension campus.

Unfortunately, I'd gotten through high school entirely on my big brain and had never developed any study habits at all, and as mentioned was totally burnt out on organized education and getting over a very rough teenager-hood, so I spent a lot of time ditching class and sitting out on the rocks by the water writing poetry... (Did I mention the extension campus was built on the grounds of a gorgeous 18th-century manor house on a point of land jutting out into Long Island Sound? lol)

And thus after three semesters they finally asked me to GTFO if I wasn't going to be serious, which is also about when my parents ran out of money again.

After that, I worked a couple of jobs for a year or so, scraped together some money again, and started taking classes at the local community college as a Liberal Arts major. Once again, my complete lack of study habits and inability to get through any subject I wasn't particularly interested in held me back. After four years I was only halfway to my degree (including some credits that had transferred from UCONN) and had been keeping my GPA up by taking Theatre classes every semester. And I was running out of money again - I'd already sold off all my Magic cards to pay for the last two semesters.

So that was the end of my second try at college.

And thus began my career as a life-long working stiff.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 12

Did A-levels in subjects I had little interest in, because that's what my friends were doing, and failed miserably.

Then got a lousy customer service job while I figured out what to do with my life.

I still haven't found the answer to that last part. 

• Like 11

University for a bachelors then another university for a masters. Eventually I made my way into the workforce.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Immediately after high school, my whole family went to live in France for a year (summer of '87 to '88).

Dad was a university teacher and head of his department, and he was allowed a sabbatical for other projects. After discussion, the two options were France or Phoenix Arizona. The cultural aspect of living in Europe and the ability to visit a ton of things easily won the argument. We lived in the suburbs of Paris, I turned 16, went to school there, visited many part of France, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Netherlands and England.

Upon our return, I started college. General science, and eventually university in mechanical engineering.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11