Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thank you @TGP: I really meant to be here yesterday., but I was on furlough and being away from the computer is the one sure way for me to forget.  I'm back to a regular schedule for the rest of July, AFAIK.

July 7: Have you ever used a real creature for color scheme inspiration, if so what?

I prefer to use real life color schemes if I am painting animals.  I did a trio of wolves over the weekend. I've done lions and tigers and owlbears. The chimeric ones can be a challenge sometimes.  I like to use colorful small reptiles as the basis for dragons. 

I'm currently using this image as inspiration for something: 

70677684-hand-holding-live-lobster-that-

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TGP said:

July 6: Gobbos! What are your favorite goblin models? What is your favorite goblin model ever? Discuss...

I'm partial to Warhammer style goblins, with triangular ears, large noses, etc. My favorite mini is a goblin banner bearer from Warhammer 40k back in the 90s, that my friend painted up and named "GrimGrubGrot" which has become the name of several goblins throughout my D&D playing days. I'd dearly wish to have a miniature of this figure, though:
download.jpg.2cf19b8f761d935450569122d605f5e7.jpg

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 7: Have you ever used a real creature for color scheme inspiration, if so what?

Whenever I'm painting real life animals, I try to look at real examples and match them. I do the same for things like lycanthropes.

Here's a few examples: 

20200126_123910.jpg

20200202_101344.jpg

20200327_143057.jpg

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 17

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thank you @TGP: I really meant to be here yesterday., but I was on furlough and being away from the computer is the one sure way for me to forget.  I'm back to a regular schedule for the rest of July, AFAIK.

Again, the answer is Buglips for goblin colours.

I also painted a mind eater, so....... brain is an animal, right?

• Like 9

19 hours ago, TGP said:

July 6: Gobbos! What are your favorite goblin models? What is your favorite goblin model ever? Discuss...

Wow, @malefactus goblins are my favorites, and not just because he is a friend! But I am looking forward to the @buglips*the*goblin mini coming out, he will lead my Starfinder Space Goblins!

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yup, I have plans for a certain KS dragon to be painted like an Australian Thorny Devil...

• Like 12

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I tried to use a timber wolf for a wolf-cloak scheme, didn't turn out so well as it was also my first attempt at wetblending (still needs work). I also tried to use a white tiger for an Alkemy mini, but I never got around to finishing it. Was very early in my painting career, and we quit playing that EverQuest campaign before I finished him.

Both minis are currently on loan and display to the MvM Museum of Unfinished Works.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I do any time I'm painting an animal, or at least I try.

And once I've tried to paint a specific animal:
marty_final_front.jpg

That was my attempt at painting our cat Marty (before she passed away).

• Like 12

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I try to whenever possible. I have done like bears and stuff but I think my best one was the sharkman. I based it off of a great white. I can't find a picture off hand though.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

When I paint an animal I'll often look at a few pics to get an idea for how they look.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, TGP said:

I like GW's goblins, particularly the older ones. I'm also a fan of Reapers various offerings.

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I haven't painted very many animals, so not yet.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Often.

All of my serpentfolk. I painted one standard green one, realized I shouldn't be boring, then started looking up blue garter snakes, sea kraits, coral snakes, cobras, copperheads...

I learned equine coat genetics just so my horses would look right.

I've painted giant worms based off of bright fuzzy caterpillars because it was funny.

I have a juvenile owlbear around these forums somewhere based off of creepy barn owl chicks.

Even my giant spiders are painted like real spiders and I am the opposite of a fan [ugh]

My dragons may be terrain-based but my every other monster ever is based off of something I've seen crawling around.

• Like 10

I always look to real animals for inspiration when painting minis of them.

I made a 4E D&D poison-themed sorcerer/assassin character once who (narratively) was an escaped experiment by Yuan-Ti sorcerers - although statted out as a dragonborn with poison breath, he was much more snake-like than dragon-ish in appearance and coloration...

And thus wore the hood of his robe up at all times. Unless, of course, he was revealing his appearance for dramatic effect...

"Thrax", who's names was actually Anthraxus, had the coloration and scale patterns of a coral snake.

I've yet to actually get around to doing the necessary conversions for a mini of him (two, actually, hood up and hood down), but he's going to look Eeeevil when I get done with it, lol.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes.

For one of my Star Wars Dewbacks, I used a six-lined racerunner as inspiration.  It wasn't a direct copy, and I simplified things a bit, but it started from the racerunner.

I have two realistic-ish gorillas from Bones IV.  One done up as an old silverback and the other a generic blackback (with brownish highlights).

I am 3/4 of the way done with the Bones IV Nagendra Matriarch and she's based on an inland(?) taipan we have at the local zoo.  I need to redo her head, though.  The black is too dark to see the details so I'm going to go "dark elf"...maybe starting off with Nightshade Purple to make it a bit darker.  I'm thinking about using a black-necked spitting cobra as the basis for the archer.  I'll probably look around for some more inspiration if I can find some patterns that are "easy" enough for me.

• Like 10

On 7/5/2020 at 7:39 PM, TGP said:

July 5: How many masks do you own?

Uh... over 100, but most of those are disposable. Fancy masks, maybe... 4 or 5?  I forget which ones the ex took...

On 7/6/2020 at 5:54 PM, TGP said:

So many, but absolutely have to say any that @malefactus has made. :wub:

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Often. I frequently paint things in hamster colors, even when they're not hamster minis.

• Like 10