Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

On 7/10/2020 at 7:36 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Sat-Sun, July 11-12: Any fun plans this weekend (share pics if appropriate)?

Following up on my weekend plans with some photos. 

Brewed a couple of batches of beer this weekend. It's a pretty fun hobby. Here's the start of it all, the grain bill. On the left is an IPA and on the right is a porter.

IMG_20200710_191704350.thumb.jpg.d6adc20f28379195613c69412ace853e.jpg

Milled it all Friday night. One of my favorite brewing gadgets.

IMG_20200710_191957627.thumb.jpg.a9aabd78390d43475296e2c1baeec68f.jpg

Got the yeast for the IPA going once that was done. Technically there are enough active cells in a yeast packet you can get at the homebrew store for a five gallon batch. But I don't like to take chances. So I typically make a yeast starter the night before brewing. 

IMG_20200711_090655811.thumb.jpg.b3262648d27faef6a35430d328a8dbec.jpg

The IPA went off without a hitch. I'm trying something new and put a couple of cups of frozen pineapple juice in at the end of the boil. We'll see how that goes. The porter went great as well. It's also a new recipe and I was worried about getting the color right. The end result made me happy. 

IMG_20200711_181515020_HDR.thumb.jpg.56ae537c98ac9dd597528bd0112b0231.jpg

My brewing assistant was less than helpful.

IMG_20200711_170814107.thumb.jpg.6035301ad4dbe1e5c91616534320c863.jpg

It's alive!

IMG_20200711_230231540_HDR.thumb.jpg.6aa4cd65d5e2adb98acfaf306117b594.jpg

It was pretty fun. Took about nine and a half hours from start to finish. A good way to fill up a lazy Saturday with physical activity instead of just sitting on the couch or whatever. And in about two weeks I'll have about seven gallons of beer to put on tap. 

• Like 16
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/10/2020 at 7:36 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, July 10: What's your style; that is, how do you typically dress?

July 10: For work?  Slacks and a polo shirt.

For when not at work?  T-shirt and pants (usually jeans) or shorts

July 11/12: My fun plans were limited to the Reaper Virtual Paint Club on Sunday.  I did buy a new chair for painting and spent Sunday getting used to it.

• Like 8
On 7/3/2020 at 6:38 PM, TaleSpinner said:

July 3: What job/chore do you dread having to do?

Cleaning the bird feeders. We get so much rain there that the feeders seem to gunk up really fast and I really don't want the little fellas to catch anything bad. 

On 7/4/2020 at 4:42 PM, TaleSpinner said:

July 4: What is your favorite thing about living where you do?

I complain all the time about the rain, but in general I'm happy that I live in a mild, boring climate that is far away from any tectonic scariness. 

More specifically, I live within walking distance of a great little urban nature fewer with a lot of wildlife that has a high tolerance of people. I'll post some photos when I get back to the computer.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:39 AM, TGP said:

July 5: How many masks do you own?

At least a hundred, my housemate started panic buying as soon as the pandemic hit the news. I also have a variety of snoods, bandanas and masks that I use for airbrushing.

On 7/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, TGP said:

July 6: Gobbos! What are your favorite goblin models? What is your favorite goblin model ever? Discuss...

I might lose my geek card for this, but I don't think I've ever painted any gobbos. I love all of @malefactuss  amazing creations though.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:23 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Thank you @TGP: I really meant to be here yesterday., but I was on furlough and being away from the computer is the one sure way for me to forget.  I'm back to a regular schedule for the rest of July, AFAIK.

July 7: Have you ever used a real creature for color scheme inspiration, if so what?

I've looked up photos for painting wolves, which have a lot more brown on them than people realise.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:34 PM, TaleSpinner said:

July 8: Have there been any events cancelled due to COVID that have filled you with a sense of relief for not having to participate/endure it?

My annual trip back home. My surviving family are a bunch of selfish, egotistical, brain weasel inducing individuals and it's a relief to not have to deal with all their idiocy for once. I love the island of my birth, but I'm just about done with the lot of them.

I was also furloughed for a while, which was awesome.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:56 PM, TaleSpinner said:

July 9: Let's Connect!  What other social media platforms do you use? 

Feel free to leave your identities on each if you want people here to connect with you there.

I'm on Twitch and Instagram, but the latter is mostly used for following people and welfare organizations that I support ie. 1bike1world (man and cat travelling the world)and minicattown (neonatal kitten rescue in California)

On 7/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, July 10: What's your style; that is, how do you typically dress?

I have to dress smartly so work, so my casual gear is usually jeans/cargo trousers and t-shirts

I worked all weekend, so not much fun was had. I've go a couple of days off now, so my plans include cleaning up my painting desk, helping my housemate make some banana bread and maybe even get some painting done.

• Like 9
49 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 13: From complete spontaneity (1) to obsessive planner (10), where do you fall on the planning scale and why?

If I read it right, I am a (1); re, I never plan any of the things I do craftwise. I am only working on The Last Hurrah project. I have been long enough that everything just naturally falls in place.

• Like 7
On 7/11/2020 at 12:19 PM, Chaoswolf said:

I've never heard of a golf shirt, so I have no idea, sorry.

Riiiight then.

I went digging a bit. There is an unsubstantiated rumour that golf shirts differ from polo shirts in the placement of the pocket (left for golf; right for polo). If it is true, I have no polo shirts. Then I came across this sorry and sordid tale: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/polo-shirt-guide/#the-history-of-the-polo-shirt  according to which we have everybody from a bunch of bored British Army officers stuck in the sweltering heat of India, to Dwight D. Eisenhower 34th US President, to blame for all of this, plus a tennis player and that wretched Ralph Lauren sneaking in on the business. Fair warning, there is fashion advice toward the end. 

10 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 13: From complete spontaneity (1) to obsessive planner (10), where do you fall on the planning scale and why?

Probably an 8.

Some of it is now by necessity, where once it was not, if I don't plan physical endeavours down almost to the individual step and reach distance the FAIL potential reaches unacceptable levels.

If I truly care about something and want to put forth my best effort it rises to a 10

Like that time I had to change 5378 graphics, every last graphic in an electronic archive, and each one needed the same exact changes and layer reassignments.

It got done in one day. Everyone else assisted me (they would have been locked out of the archive anyway). 

If need be, I can plan.

I can do a decent emulation of spontaneity by having a plan with multiple levels of:

• attempt action, if fail then: alternative, else next action…
  • etc.

When I was younger I think I sometimes operated at a 3 or a 4. I might have been 3 or 4….

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'd argue a three or four, although those at work would possibly say higher, at least with work related things... 

..But that's because I kind of run through a mental checklist at work, so I tend to seem a lot more organized. 

As for hobbying though, it's mostly a vague idea and direction I want to go, and I steadily meander that way, while typically taking what would be best described as a scenic route. 

• Like 8

I probably operate on a scale, in my home life anyways, ranging from 3 to 8. My least planned out activities, like miniature painting, I may make some decisions about how to move forward on a given figure but usually wait to choose what color to use next as I get the previous layer done. On the opposite end of that scale are things like brewing and gardening. I'll make an effort to plan out where all my plants are going, or will write detailed recipes. But I never approach a level of planning in those hobbies that doesn't allow for some minor variations or changes in the event something unforeseen happens. 

In my work life though, we operate in the 9 to 10 range. Planning for a site visit begins months in advance and even includes details on what to do in a variety of odd scenarios. 

• Like 10

So far past 10 I wrap back around to the other end of the scale. 

Some things, like travel and trips to Reapercon I plan ahead for months, make notes about locations to stop, memorize maps and alternate routes, check weather daily, etc. I know exactly which clothes I'm taking and wearing on which day, have a list of stuff to buy (plus the notebook with every figure I already own) and so on.  Planning the trip is half the fun and I like being prepared.  It saved our behinds more than once. 

And other days I'm, like, broccoli this, I'm going out somewhere, let's go down that road and see where it goes. I stop at whatever looks interesting and change my plans on a whim. 

• Like 12

Depends.

Before the Covid , I could be like a 1 or 2 when it comes to stuff like, Hey we're going out for dinner tonight.

Trips/holidays/work I'm a 12.. scenarios, scenarios, what if's, scenarios. what ifs...okay we're doing this, as per my schedule!

• Like 11
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

About a 5.

I like to think things through before I do them and I do plan some things ahead, but I don't veer into check-list territory.

• Like 11

Eleven.

So obsessed with getting lighting right and the general lack of control of the scene (without making a massive diorama to enclose the subjects and set the lighting stage properly) that I took up painting on canvas. And then so obsessed with getting a good drawing in paint that I stopped painting and work exclusively in charcoal.

So yeah. I may have gone a bit overboard there.

• Like 11

I don't want the control of all aspect of my life, I like surprises but also safety and comfort so I tend to organize things as less as possible (cause I'm lazy).
My wife, instead, is a maniac of control, so there is the right balance in my family as we compensate each other :winkthumbs:

• Like 12