Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

16 hours ago, CashWiley said:

The following year, the deer would come up and dump the entire feeder every night. So I stopped feeding the birds. Still bums me out, but the deer are relentless.

I solved this by feeding the deer.  I take my copper fire pit and put it about 20 feet from the bird feeder in the winter.  I fill it with whole kernel, shelled corn. The deer prefer it to the bird food, and it costs 1/4 as much per bag.  I also attracted new species with it like ducks and jays.  So now I get to watch the deer come down and eat almost every evening.  The flocks of migrating ducks are the best; we had well over a hundred mallards all trying to get theirs a few times.  It was quite a sight to see my whole yard covered in ducks, like some weird Farside cartoon.

• Like 11

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 15: Halfway though; are you enjoying summer this year (or winter for you Aussies and other south-siders)?

Hard to say, it's been a weird one, and I'm typically not much for summer.  We haven't had much in the way of 30+ Celsius temperatures though, so I'm rather thankful about that, even if it's been waaay too cloudy in the evening (perfectly clear during day, full cloud cover with rain most of the evening) 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 15: Halfway though; are you enjoying summer this year (or winter for you Aussies and other south-siders)?

I went for a walk last night and it was a Platonically perfect summer evening.   The insect songs, the heat lightning in the distance, the breeze, and the temperature were an idyllic combination.  

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Life of late has become strange & stressful with a profound felling of isolation that deafness only enhances. Despite all that I enjoy the hot weather, & simply being alive & creative.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, VitM said:

I went for a walk last night and it was a Platonically perfect summer evening.   The insect songs, the heat lightning in the distance, the breeze, and the temperature were an idyllic combination.  

Two sentences. Two things I had to look up. 

Fun fact learned: TheWeatherChannel•Com firmly believes there is no such thing as heat lightning. 

On 7/14/2020 at 6:41 AM, TaleSpinner said:

July 14: If you were a character in a fantasy realm, what would be your animal companion?

I would be lucky to avoid being some high-level Paladin, wanna be griffonrider’s, creature sidekick. 

If I was a hooman in this fantasy realm, probably I’d have a pack horse. Why did no one pick horse?

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Given enough money I would live in perpetual winter by crossing the Equator twice a year. 

So, no. 

Edited by TGP
punctuation
  • Like 8

Just now, TGP said:

Two sentences. Two things I had to look up. 

Fun fact learned: TheWeatherChannel•Com firmly believes there is no such thing as heat lightning. 

There was heat, and lightning in the distance.  It was probably somebody else's storm, but it seemed an apt description. ::P:

• Like 8

1 minute ago, VitM said:

There was heat, and lightning in the distance.  It was probably somebody else's storm, but it seemed an apt description. ::P:

Were jagged bolts visible? Or just a glow and a flash on clouds?

• Like 7

Just now, TGP said:

Were jagged bolts visible? Or just a glow and a flash on clouds?

A glow and flash on the clouds.  It was far enough away that I didn't hear any rumble of thunder; at least not over the insects.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Not really. Normally in summer I spend most of my working days chest deep in some stream or wetland, or in some pristine forest. And during my time off I like to do the same, just without carrying around a ton of work gear. Given the current state of the world all of that has been canceled. And I'm not getting very many chances to go to public parks and reserves to enjoy the outdoors. Last time I tried to go to a state park the place was jam packed with people, all on top of one another, going off the trails and using sensitive pools and streams as their own private swimming holes. I can't enjoy the outdoors when I always have someone a meter or so away from me and I'm watching people trample the stuff I've worked hard to preserve.  In fact, some of the more sensitive sites have had to close down and are no longer allowing access because of the damage being done. I thrive on being outdoors and in the sun and my little urban garden just isn't cutting it. It helps, as do all of my other hobbies. But I'm still feeling a bit down. I know that sounds silly considering how much worse I could have it right now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I solved this by feeding the deer.  I take my copper fire pit and put it about 20 feet from the bird feeder in the winter.  I fill it with whole kernel, shelled corn. The deer prefer it to the bird food, and it costs 1/4 as much per bag.  I also attracted new species with it like ducks and jays.  So now I get to watch the deer come down and eat almost every evening.  The flocks of migrating ducks are the best; we had well over a hundred mallards all trying to get theirs a few times.  It was quite a sight to see my whole yard covered in ducks, like some weird Farside cartoon.

I wonder if that would attract the raccoons. They're the main 'backyard feeder' varmint in my neighborhood. Neighbors put out cheese puffs every night, ostensibly to feed the skunks. But it draws all kinds of stuff, coons, foxes, even coyotes (though they may be a secondary draw due to the prey animals congregating).

Remember, I live in a city :D I had less issues with wildlife when I was living in the country as a kid!

• Like 7

No.

I live on a touristic Island and Covid is basically killing every business, mine more than others... 

• Sad 13

I'm overall a "meh!" kind of guy regarding summer.

What I like about summer:

• I enjoy wearing lighter clothing. It's quite comfortable.
  • I like opening up the windows for some fresh air.
  • Long, bright days.
  • The best family events happen in summer.
  • Nature is in it's maximum state of expression.

What I don't like about summer:

• The extra heat. I get hot easy and the need of external devices to cool off.
  • It's much noisier. It's motorcycle season; large pickups hauling their boat/trailer; there's always someone cutting grass or using power tools.
  • Bugs. They buzz, they bite.
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not really. Summer here is awful, hot and very humid.  Outside is filled with mosquitoes and chiggers so you can't enjoy camping or outdoor activities without slathering yourself in chemicals.  Everything is closed or cancelled, and the allure of having days at home to paint or craft is quickly wearing thin.  While nothing bad has happened, the things that I enjoy that would normally uplift my mood aren't happening either. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7