Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 15: Halfway though; are you enjoying summer this year (or winter for you Aussies and other south-siders)?

Well, my summer trip to Florida did not include trips to Legoland and/or Disneyworld as they usually do, so my feet and overall exhaustion are nowhere near as bad, but I mostly have had a middling to boring summer. Working from home means I'm able to paint minis, but also to play my PS2, so I'm getting less painting done than I might have if I was painting at work normally. My son is home all the time, which means less time to just do my own thing, but does mean more time with him.

Overall, I'd say this summer's been mostly a wash.

• Like 9
  • Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

July 15: Halfway though; are you enjoying summer this year (or winter for you Aussies and other south-siders)?

Summer here is regularly 90F+ with horrible80-90% humidity, so no...

37 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

No.

I live on a touristic Island and Covid is basically killing every business, mine more than others... 

@Cicciopiu Prayers for your business and you my friend!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Wow, halfway through already? That was quick.

Eh, it's been alright. Alright as can be with this humbugging virus.

• Like 7

Summer here has been unusually dull, deary and windy, even by our standards. The 5 mile travelling restriction has only recently been lifted and my local park is absolutely inundated with people that have no idea of how social distancing works. 

That said, I've spent a lot of time outdoors or sitting watching the bird feeders. Apart from the ongoing issue with one particular squirrel, we've been inundated with goldfinches, siskins and a juvenile woodpecker has been visiting the nut feeder every morning. 

20 hours ago, CashWiley said:

I defeated the squirrels with a high sheperd's crook and a metal collar on a bungie. Had feed out for an entire year without the little dudes figuring it out.

The following year, the deer would come up and dump the entire feeder every night. So I stopped feeding the birds. Still bums me out, but the deer are relentless.

Speaking of squirrels, though, my new favorite dude in the yard is a no-tailed tripod squirrel. He's missing both his entire tail and his right foreleg. Think about what a squirrel does, from climbing to running to eating; now imagine him doing it without his right foreleg. He's amazing and tough as nails.

That sounds like an awesome little survivor! We have several squirrels that take occasional food from the feeders, it's just this one particular individual that takes the biscuit, or rather, the bird feeder! It's just like people, I guess- there's always one idiot that ruins it for everyone else <_<

• Like 9

It's been mostly bleh, like the rest of the year. It's been hot and humid mostly, we need rain badly, despite the humidity all the rain seems to miss us. Only good part about the weather is that without the rain the grass doesn't need mowing, but it's also starting to die. I have some things I want to spray prime/varnish too, but again, not possible with the heat and humidity (don't have an airbrush/respirator combo either).

Also not really enjoying isolating myself from the other people in my house, since I am the one who goes out to do all of the errands and people in my town really aren't taking health issues seriously. Had a harsh realization of how few people I actually interact with on a daily basis a few days ago.

Some good things are that I've gotten to rewatch many favorite movies, discover some new Youtube channels, and I've almost conquered all of Christendom in a replay of Medieval 2: Total War as the English (all while bucking papal authority), with the setting on very hard difficulty. Longbow superiority for the win!

• Like 9
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's haying season, which means we've had a few heavy rains come through the area. Today we're cleaning up the farm for the lunch we're having after the funeral on Saturday.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's been okay.

Hasn't been anywhere near as hot as I feared it would be, so that's nice, but I'm just not much of a summer person.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes, actually. We have AC for days when it’s too hot to even consider going out, and when we do go out it’s fun to watch Sephy play and explore the world. She recently did two things she was scared of: she petted a dog on her own and she stepped into the lake on her own. She’s such a brave girl, I’m so proud of her :wub:

• Like 12
4 hours ago, CashWiley said:

I wonder if that would attract the raccoons. They're the main 'backyard feeder' varmint in my neighborhood. Neighbors put out cheese puffs every night, ostensibly to feed the skunks. But it draws all kinds of stuff, coons, foxes, even coyotes (though they may be a secondary draw due to the prey animals congregating).

Remember, I live in a city :D I had less issues with wildlife when I was living in the country as a kid!

I doubt the coons would eat hard corn, they don't have the dentition for it.  They do like soft sweet corn, but I have never heard of them eating dried grain.  Their dentition is more suited to an omnivorous diet like our own.  If you can't chew it comfortably, they probably can't either.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't generally enjoy summer, other than a few things, and they've pretty much been cancelled.

I normally spend most weekends at the race track, but first it was all cancelled, and the few lapping events they've had so far I've avoided. We moved last fall to a different province, and my plan was to stay at my parents' place when I went to the track.  But beyond the risk to myself (and I have several conditions where I'd  REALLY like to avoid Covid) there is no way I'm putting my folks at extra risk. So I haven't been anywhere near the track.

Beyond that it has been too hot and muggy for my liking, so has slowed my work on the garage, and on painting. We only have AC in the bedroom (our plans for heat pumps have been delayed, due to pandemic) so I retreat to there if things get too hot, so at least my reading is up.

And my summer car is finally back on the road after 3 years, so I am enjoying that the few times I've been out for a drive.

So with those factors plus all the other stuff going on, I'm going to put this summer at a solid 2 out of 10 so far...

• Like 8
On 7/14/2020 at 6:41 AM, TaleSpinner said:

July 14: If you were a character in a fantasy realm, what would be your animal companion.

I seriously need more info here... Are we limited to Animals as defined in a monster manual? Or can we also select from fantasy beasts and their ilk? Are we limited to only one? Only one type? or a list of our choosing based on say HD? 

yeah, I've played a few druids...

sooo... In our current campaign have a huge Gorilla companion and am raising a baby cobra. Tiki, the gorilla is a TANK and frequently carries the gnome fire wizard into battle... our enemies must be so confused when they die.

I've always wanted to have a "swarm" of animals ... rats, squirrels, cats, parakeets... DM never lets me :( He thinks it would be too ridiculous.

I think it would be great to be a beastmaster and have a bunch of awesome animals ...

Do I really only get one? If I can't have a Dragon... I'll take a Snow Leopard.

• Like 8
On 7/14/2020 at 7:41 AM, TaleSpinner said:

July 14: If you were a character in a fantasy realm, what would be your animal companion.

Pseudodragon.

image.png.9412585c73fd576dc5d6892a0114a269.png

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Eh. Parts of it. Other parts are just too depressing.

• Like 9
15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No.. spring was alright, as work kept us as unexposed as possible (essential,  but no one was traveling so we were able to work skeleton crews), but air traffic picked up (what madness possesses people to get on an airplane right now?!) and we have to work shoulder to shoulder with everyone again, sharing both close quarters and equipment. Every week it seems we have more positive cases of COVID, and add in the stress of thunder storms,  and this is the most anxious summer of my life.

Edited by Skiesclear
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2
12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It has been a remarkably mild summer so far. A lot of rain and temps haven't gone above 60ish much. It's been more like an extended spring/early autumn so far. I'm just waiting for nature to go 'surprise!' and hit us with a dry spell and a heat wave.

• Like 8