Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

39 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 2: What is the strangest thing you’ve ever seen?

While walking in a park one night, years ago, no wind, no rain. Just a cool summer night.

Suddenly I heard a noise as if something was rushing to me and the tall grass ( half my height) moved aside as if something ran through it.

It stopped right in front of me and nothing emerged.

Still a bit freaked out by that one.

Did I mention it suddenly got very cold and that only lasted for a few minutes?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 11
  • Confused 3

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 1: What did you do after high school (or equivalent in your part of the world), e.g. college, trade school, service, etc...?

Spent the summer working on a survey crew for highway construction.  Long days in hot sun carrying a pole with a mirror on top and managing to walk something like 12-15 miles while covering a 2 mile stretch of roadway.
after that I started college studying computer science where I learned programming techniques that were nearly a decade out of date in the industry.

• Like 10

16 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

July 1: What did you do after high school (or equivalent in your part of the world), e.g. college, trade school, service, etc...?

After High School I busily made decisions that would screw up my life & which I would later regret.

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I was a Long Islander & had occasion to visit The City (NY that is) fairly often. Nothing seems strange after enough visits to The City.

• Like 12

57 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

If I leave off things I've seen on the internet and things I've seen people do, it's a pretty short list.    Tardigrades are pretty high up, got to see them in person in science class once through a microscope.  Come to think of it, lots of things seen through a microscope are pretty darned weird.

The fact that the first stage of wastewater purification is literally 'pump a bunch of air in there and let it do it's thing' is kind of a weird concept too.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Right after highschool, I took a tour of Europe with some students from my French class, then worked lots of part time to make up $ leading up to college. Then 5 years of college, including 1 year studying abroad in Japan.

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

A Hello Kitty vibrator in a vending machine in Japan...

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

ME! Wait, no. That's what other people say when they meet me.

A more serious mystery would be all the way back in the summer of 2008. Quebec City was celebrating it's 400th anniversary. Big events all season long, including a nightly showing of a short movie projected on the walls of the old port silos commemorating the city's centuries of history. It drew crowds for months and I even saw it more than once.

On one of those viewings, I was standing on the piers with the crowd, my attention mostly on the show when I looked up at the speakers on the service poles). And that's when I saw "it" in the night sky. It was relatively at low altitude, a sort of fast moving spherical object, maybe 15-20 feet wide, that looked like it was made of tattered cloths trailing behind it as it moved, almost as if were wreathed in short dark flames. It didn't make any noise as it kept moving at plane/helicopter speed (it was close enough that engine sound would've been audible). The person next to me also saw it and was just as puzzled. It was only within view for maybe thirty seconds until we couldn't see it anymore because of surrounding lights at ground level, and the show was still going on.

Part of me can imagine it being a weather balloon. But weather balloons don't fly that low, that fast, nor are they that big (for such a low altitude) and dark like that.

I *was* carrying a camera at the moment. But dark objects, against as dark night sky, and moving swiftly away have a tendency to be hard to focus on through a tiny viewfinder.

Though it may remain a mystery for the rest of my life, I can still use it as a source of inspiration for Cthulhu style, occult or scifi mystery games.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 13

17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Did road construction in the summer and spent the winters playing music. It was an odd balance that formed a lot of how I approach the world. Work hard, play hard, but most of all, enjoy life. That's what it's for, despite the challenges it throws at us.

I got kicked out of the house that first winter, because the stepdad was not down with my winters being spent playing music. Living in a car in winter in upstate NY was interesting, but at least I had a car!

• Like 11

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Once when I was in high school on the way home from a concert I was looking at traffic going the other way on the highway. I idly thought that it would be weird if a car came coming down the wrong way. When we got to the off ramp a car came down the wrong way. Freaked me out, still does occasionally.

On a lighter note one of our friends who can like only roll 4s on dice loaned something like 8d10 to a friend that didn't have enough dice for her roll and the dice rolled all 4s when she rolled them. I am convinced he is cursed.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Jackson Pollock in an art book.

No offense to Jackson Pollock fans. I just don't understand how a grown man's splattering of paint can be considered art.

Yes, I get that it's "abstract" and "expressionistic", but... Seriously!?

Honestly, a two-year-old could rival his "paintings", if they can even be called that.

Not the kindest answer, I know, but hey. You asked me what was the strangest thing I've ever seen, and so I gave it to you.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hmmm, probably the pro-stock 10 feet in the air as it cleared the wall about 10 feet to the right of me.  The marshal's stand is about 8 feet wide... A car being above your head just isn't right.

A close second would be watching a groundhog get liquefied by Romain Grosjean's F1 car at 350 kph. Considering that marshals can be called on to intervene trackside during the race, it was....sobering.

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

After High school I did nothing except game (war, rpg and computer) for 2 and a half weeks.  Then on July 3rd 1990 I left for Navy BootCamp in Orlando Florida.  

We were in boot camp at the same time and in the same place; I got there August 20th.

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sorry for the cop out, but the story is too long to try to type on a phone. Ask me at Reapercon sometime if you're interested.

• Like 12

I don't know if it's the strangest, but years ago back in HS, I was with friends & we were at a intersection in town. We pull up & next to us was a old woman in a Civic or similar car. She had her arm out the door & her head laying on it, like she was dead or something. Light turned green & away she went. :rock:

• Like 11
  • Confused 1