Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

13 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

Microraptor  is my favorite dinosaur.

the feather question was never in doubt for this one. It was trying really hard to be a bird, or at least a flying squirrel 

If a dragonfly can have four wings, why not a dinosaur?   Just because it sucked doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying for 12 million years or so.  

I also learned the DinosaurTrains  "Memorizing dinos A-Z" song so I could sing along with my 3yr old.  She lost interest but i'm keeping the song. 

just like "Fifty Nifty United States" (in alphabetical order)  song from 4th grade.  I like list songs. 

You and my hubby... he's still trying to get our kids to learn the fifty nifty... maybe I should get him the dino song.

Edited by Dragoneye
tyo
  • Like 8

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday, July 17:  What is your favorite non-Reaper miniature company?

Sat-Sun, July 18-19: Take one picture this weekend that shows us something about yourself and share it with us.  It can be anything that has meaning for you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's a difficult one, many good stuff out there.

Lost Kingdom Miniatures ( love their Lizardmen). Both physical minis and 3D files.

Artisan Guild ( 3D files only)

Grenadier still has a place in my heart.

Sat-Sun, July 18-19: Take one picture this weekend that shows us something about yourself and share it with us.  It can be anything that has meaning for you.

20160523_111428.jpg

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Corvus Belli is probably the one my wallet would say. Boy do I love their models, especially the HaqqIslam and Yu Jing ones. 

Oathsworn is definitely up there too. 

I'll think on the second question and answer that later. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

For pure nostalgia, Ral Partha is the winner. It's the company that started it all for me. My own AD&D/Battletech minis and my first paints.

With the amount of minis I got from Kickstarter campaigns, with very different themes and styles, many have a good reason to be on the list. Stonehaven; Midlam; Bombshell; Galladoria Games; Oathsworn; Dark Sword; etc.

I would like to plead the fifth. (until I clean up the apartment)

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6

Tough one, lots of companies I like for different reasons. For sheer volume, I'd have to go with Kingdom Death.

But I'd probably have to say Hasslefree has been a favorite for a while. I love the quality of their resin masters and Kev has constantly pushed himself with anatomy and drapery studies. And he's not afraid to release some really zany stuff now and again. I've managed to finally give up trying to collect KD minis (too popular + bots = literally cannot), but I will still likely snag more HF now and again as I catch up with some of my favorites Kev keeps pumping out.

I also like Black Sun, Twisted, Dark Sword, old Infinity, Red Box Games, Bombshell, lots of great lines out there (and even better people). I wish Jody Seigel could get his act together, he has such an exquisite and unique sculpting style but is a total mess as a business (see also: Low Life, stuff like Cremefillians and Hot Dammits are so cool! But terrible businessman).

• Like 10

I have a feeling I'm going to get absolutely murdered for saying this... But please, show me some grace. My hand is forced.

Games Workshop.

Strictly because they are the only other company whose minis I've painted.

Please don't hurt me...

Displaying IMG_7680.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I might take some heat for this, but in terms of both appealing style and number of purchases, my second favorite company would be Ninja Division.  Third and Fourth would be Impact Miniatures and Midknight Games, respectively.

Much of this is also because the same sculptor does a lot of work for all three companies.

• Like 10

First off. In the spirit of good natured debate regarding whether or not feathered dinosaurs are cool, a relevant XKCD:

feathers.png.0e4f12cfb1dca7144119da35539316e9.png

Iron Wind Metals. I probably paint more form them than any other company outside of Reaper. For a long time many years ago I had slowly built up a collection of (poorly painted) old Ral Partha figures. Then they got stolen. Getting a chance to repaint those through IWM is a real treat and cheers me up to no end. Plus, I just love the FASA Shadowrun minis. I should go through my box of their stuff and pick something out to paint this weekend. A close second though is a small company with only a couple of lines of minis, Skull and Crown. They make some renaissance skeletons and killer bunnies based on medieval marginalia that I have had so much fun painting. 

I'll try and get to the picture thing this weekend.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Going by who I have bought things from....

Friday, July 17:  What is your favorite non-Reaper miniature company?

Spartan Games! they make 1:1200 scale ships....

Wait, “They’re dead Jim.”

Thunderbolt Mountain Miniatures, Tom Meier’s outfit....

Ral Partha, the outfit that started it all...

Wait, “They’re on life support Jim. Iron Wind Metals...“

Game Designer’s Workshop, skygalleons!!

Games Workshop, ....yeah....not so much a favourite, not anymore.

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Privateer Press..?.. are they still kicking?

:unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7