Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, July 17:  What is your favorite non-Reaper miniature company?

Games Workshop, I like putting their stuff together.

Honerable mention goes to Demented Games, they've yet to make a mini I dislike.

• Like 8

Sat-Sun, July 18-19: Take one picture this weekend that shows us something about yourself and share it with us.  It can be anything that has meaning for you.

Friday, July 17th:

In no particular order: Privateer Press: Grymkins & others, Weird Miniature, CMoN: Wrath of Kings, Games Workshop (particularly the sixth edition plastics & the new Goblins), Dark Sword, Grenadier, Ral Partha's Silver & Steel,  Dark Hold (Rebel Miniatures), Blue Moon Fantasy/Horror 28s, Harlequin Dwarves, War Zone, Lead Adventure Miniatures,  Wiz Kids' new plastic stuff, AND some others that presently won't come to mind.

The weekend question will take some thinking about.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sat-Sun, July 18-19: Take one picture this weekend that shows us something about yourself and share it with us.  It can be anything that has meaning for you.

Right now I've been painting Games Workshop. Their level of detail has significantly improved over the last several years, and I find it easier to paint sub-assemblies so that I can get. They're also becoming so intricate that they can make you tear your hair out.

Case in point:

image.thumb.png.5ee48bd9749edc5dd2157a6ac1deea09.png

No pictures this weekend, I'll be too busy with the funeral.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Oy, hard one. Since I don't really play any games associated with companies, it leaves me free to pick and choose from everywhere. I have an entire folder in my web browser favorites of companies, sorted by country (as well as a "defunct" folder). I can usually find at least one mini from any company that I like.

But for favorites, I'll try to keep it to a top five based on recurrent purchases:

- Red Box Games, USA based

- Heresy Miniatures, UK based (I finally found a halfling barbarian mini, named Gonads... how can you not appreciate that?)

- Bombshell Miniatures, USA based

- Freebooter, Germany based

- Valiant Enterprises, USA based

Honorable mentions go to Mantic Games since I seem to have loads of KoW and Dungeon Saga stuff, as well as Crocodile Games.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Privateer Press..?.. are they still kicking?

I believe so, they had a 2020 keynote address on Youtube just this month. Though a lot of prominent personnel departed for other places last year. Their redesigned website doesn't give out as much info as the previous design did. As long as they keep making their paint line, I'm happy.

• Like 8

That's like asking someone to pick a favorite child....

I got started with Grenadier so they will always be special.  There have been a number of companies over the years that have been favorites at one time or another: Urban Mammoth, Magnificent Egos, Artisan, Assassin, Thunderbolt, CoolMini, Crocodile Games and plenty I have forgotten.  Currently I also love Antimatter Games, Bombshell, Impact, and a number of small companies doing their own thing like the TAG Halfling Militia Rooster Riders.  And GW does have some cool stuff once in a while, too, though I'm not a fan of most of the rank-and-file models. 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

I have a feeling I'm going to get absolutely murdered for saying this... But please, show me some grace. My hand is forced.

Games Workshop.

Strictly because they are the only other company whose minis I've painted.

Please don't hurt me...

Displaying IMG_7680.JPG

You're free to love GW.

I love their old style minis, I just don't like their business model and not much of their new stuff.

Their fluff/background stories are awesome.

Always loved Chaos and Undead from them.

I can't see the picture?

Maybe because I'm in Europe, depending on the host you're using.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Partner and I acquire GW minis because they're cool. We don't have an army anywhere nor do we bother with the rules. The minis themselves can be quite sweet :winkthumbs:

• Like 11

On 7/15/2020 at 6:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

July 15: Halfway though; are you enjoying summer this year (or winter for you Aussies and other south-siders)?

Not really. It's not the worst thing ever, but fun things are few and far between. 

On 7/16/2020 at 6:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

July 16: What is your favorite dinosaur...I care?

Inspiration for today's question:

Hide contents

When you become a grownup, people stop asking what your favorite ...

Not technically a dinosaur, but this Mosasaur is my favorite:

RS68978_1501097_B_0027_web.thumb.jpg.2cac026bde7285f759ebf47f537085fe.jpg

A 50 ft long tylosaurus :wub:

• Like 13

On 7/16/2020 at 6:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Reveal hidden contents

What!!! Not a single hadrosaurid!! The parasaurolophus is my favorite.

I know they were pretty much just a normal herd animal of that time period, but they were so cuuute.

Look at that goofy :3 face!

image.png.96c77be59e99a3fdab5732deddaef653.png

image.png.7da4a6038a8409280a3c68a0156378b0.png

(Some of them also had up to 1000 teeth all grown together. Kinda creepy.)

I also love fierce, feathery raptors! I had a mating pair I named Luthien and Beren in a game called ARK and they created the most beautiful kid I'd ever seen. ARK doesn't have a lot of officially correct stuff, but we're always learning more about dinos!

20200418213307_1.thumb.jpg.087bc47c79c588824d25a0afbb94636f.jpg

For example, dilos didn't actually have frills or spit poison, but they do in ARK. And they weren't this tiny cute, either!

Yes, I love my colorful dinos. :lol:20200424143958_1.thumb.jpg.75e9ac6fcb729abb2f3664e2ca1dbecc.jpg

And now that I'm reliving my dino childhood, random facts are coming back into my brain haha.

The therizinosaurs had *terrifying* front claws, y'all. Over 3 feet long.

Oh. When I was little, I also sang along to this tape so much that my parents threw it away because they couldn't handle it anymore. :lol:

It took me years to find any information about it! I just had the tune in my head....

image.png.3e003b9c7bc460dd3cc5039d8dea0af9.png

I called it "the yellow one tape!" The songs are so bad.... hahaha.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Favorite Mini company other than Reaper im going to go with Kingdom Death, and/or Creature Caster. 

okay so I dont own any from the second but they both make some great monsters. 

Weekend challenge: I took this one last weekend, elder spawn, New cat, purring could be heard from across the room.  Im not sure I can take a picture that means more to me than this one. 

Sam and butterbean on arrival.jpg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

You're free to love GW.

I love their old style minis, I just don't like their business model and not much of their new stuff.

Their fluff/background stories are awesome.

Always loved Chaos and Undead from them.

I can't see the picture?

Maybe because I'm in Europe, depending on the host you're using.

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Partner and I acquire GW minis because they're cool. We don't have an army anywhere nor do we bother with the rules. The minis themselves can be quite sweet :winkthumbs:

Well, now I don't feel bad about liking "The evil company of overpriced minis," as it has been so whimsically called.

As for the picture, it should be right below this text.

IMG_7680.thumb.JPG.df9cb81fbe7debc9c50ae7763532ce1a.JPG

• Like 12

No reason to feel bad about liking GW figures; they do make some pretty cool stuff.

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday question: There are other miniatures companies? What blasphemy is this?::P:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

The old Ral Partha and now Iron Wind Minis for Battletech, been playing it since it started.

• Like 8

On 7/16/2020 at 7:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Reveal hidden contents

Triceratops!

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Like a number of mini made by a number of companies, but I'm going to say Darksword Miniatures. The detail sculpted in the minis they provide are phenomenal. And they won my loyalty a long time ago with the Anthropomorphics.

You know, I'm going to honorable mention Rackham. I discovered them too late and they made some fun quirky stuff for Confrontation that I'm always on the lookout for.

• Like 8

I absolutely love Corvus Belli, especially the Infinity Panoceana line. It may be a total cliche, but I love the old "sword and gun" combo ^_^

INF-280287.thumb.jpg.51beaec19fd92612b43e7a821354d95b.jpg

infinity-seraphs-military-order-armored-cavalry.thumb.jpg.cc1595db85cf5688ea74d4597dde65d6.jpg

I'll also throw my hat into the GW camp. Yes, their prices are high and they've made some questionable gaffs in the past, but I really love my Nighthaunts. They make pretty good infernals for Pathfinder too!

DSCN9017.thumb.JPG.e1545f1423b5a6336437c5502f3389f6.jpeg.a35153552617e375258366283d45ffea.jpeg

image.png.629b074fa3cfeae52f04df006caa3679.png.c8870788fdddbda66e613894de5b03ae.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1