Getting to Know You; July 2020 by TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

July 15: Halfway though; are you enjoying summer this year (or winter for you Aussies and other south-siders)?

It's been pretty typical for me. Long hours of work and not much time to do fun stuff. Can't complain really.

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, July 17:  What is your favorite non-Reaper miniature company?

Probably Northstar because I've bought a fair amount of Frostgrave and Oathmark minis and have a bunch on my wishlist. They're definitely my favourite store right now as they stock practically everything I'm interested in.

• Like 9

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sat-Sun, July 18-19: Take one picture this weekend that shows us something about yourself and share it with us.  It can be anything that has meaning for you.

Favorite non-Reaper company? I mean, I have a lot of CMON minis from a few KS, and some other minis from WizKids... I like some of the minis that came out for WarMachine and I have a lot of GW stuff from back in the day... I guess I don't have a specific other company.

As for a photo? Took this one tonight. I may have more if the thought occurs, but this is Penny, my prettiest kitty. 

20200717_230436.jpg

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Most likely Wizkids. Mainly in part for their Unpainted lines, but also for the sheer amount of prepainted stuff. Always nice to actually have minis (no matter the company) for the game you want to run.

.....now if I can just find that darn Living Burning Hands Spell "mini" (most likely will see if a 3d artist can do one up).

• Like 9

On 7/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, Morihalda said:

Oh. When I was little, I also sang along to this tape so much that my parents threw it away because they couldn't handle it anymore. :lol:

It took me years to find any information about it! I just had the tune in my head....

image.png.3e003b9c7bc460dd3cc5039d8dea0af9.png

I called it "the yellow one tape!" The songs are so bad.... hahaha.

Sounds like a time, friends & I were out driving around here in rural eastern Oregon/western Idaho back in HS days. We were in a friends car & anther friend open the glove box & found a Tiffany cassette tape. We are like wha tha F.......?? As we all listen to hair bands or heavy metal back then. Friend was like "Well I like her." OUT the window & in to some farmer's field it went as we drove past.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

On 7/17/2020 at 11:52 AM, malefactus said:

Friday, July 17th:

In no particular order: Privateer Press: Grymkins & others, Weird Miniature, CMoN: Wrath of Kings, Games Workshop (particularly the sixth edition plastics & the new Goblins), Dark Sword, Grenadier, Ral Partha's Silver & Steel,  Dark Hold (Rebel Miniatures), Blue Moon Fantasy/Horror 28s, Harlequin Dwarves, War Zone, Lead Adventure Miniatures,  Wiz Kids' new plastic stuff, AND some others that presently won't come to mind.

The weekend question will take some thinking about.

AND those are just the Fantasy mini makers, Historical makers: Essex, Dixon, Suren's Willy Miniatures, Staden in 30 & 54 mm, JAL 30 & 54 mm. Command Post, Scruby in various sizes, Britain Ltd,  Mignot, et al.

Some of these makers are the stuff of memories having long ago disappeared from table top games.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 8

On 7/17/2020 at 6:44 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Sat-Sun, July 18-19: Take one picture this weekend that shows us something about yourself and share it with us.  It can be anything that has meaning for you.

By volume it is probably Dark Sword, followed closely by Hasslefree and Infinity.  OTOH if I want to paint a 75mm figure it will be none of those.  Black Sun, Kimera/Pegaso, and all sorts of other companies with smaller product lines make interesting large scale models.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Brother Jim said:

Wow, if one of my friends passengers threw something out of my car that was mine, especially that I liked, they'd be walking home.

Pretty much the same.  I only have a few rules in my car - seat belt goes on before we move (and if it comes off while we're moving you get one warning, that's it, I'll make you walk home, don't care how far we are), ask before touching radio, and don't mess with my stuff.  Oh yeah, and the most important of all, and I've even barked at my supervisors doing ridealongs for this - don't block my mirrors! (yes, I had one supervisor that kept doing such - I made him buy me lunch because I had to fill out a near miss report for such behaviour - yay health and safety).

They'd be finding that item or they wouldn't be going home in my vehicle, and if they didn't find it (or it was damaged) they best be paying for and/or replacing it.  Probably wouldn't be getting a ride again from me either. 

Unsurprisingly, I didn't have that many people be all too willing to ride shotgun with me, although those that did ride with... Oh yeah, we got up to shenanigans. Lots of shenanigans, including calling up a friend at 2am because we were bored, and knew she worked nights, and just happened to be in the area.  To be fair, we did buy her supper... 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

On 7/17/2020 at 7:44 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Ok, time for the non-snarky answer:

I like a lot of other companies, so it's really hard to say. I'm going with a toss up between Grenadier (my first ever miniatures were the 'Orcs of the Severed Hand' box set; still have 'em) and Ral Partha (my second mini purchase was a few RP blister packs). I'm choosing them both because I credit them with getting me interested in miniatures.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I flunked this question in college....

I took a photography course that sounded like fun. Advanced and Experimental Photography 3404 (or something kinda like that...)

One of the assignments was “Photograph Your Personal Icon” (and they did not mean anything to do with computers or internet because windows icons were not a thing, because this was so long ago windows was unreleased, PCs were barely a thing, BBSes did ASCII art if they did anything beyond text...)

...and I bombed out on that one abysmally. 

92CC336F-FCF7-4C57-BE04-D55B2F24AF61.thumb.jpeg.6ffe11aa7e8dc0f1a73f186f40fb6d95.jpeg

I am the sort that will just pull over, stop, and look up. I think most people just go around with their heads down, focused, and looking straight ahead. But the thing about me is I will look up and take a picture ^ once in awhile. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 7:44 AM, TaleSpinner said:

QotD1.thumb.jpg.31622179ad2f3e8bd2e7dc9ea7e73d44.jpg

Pic of the shirt I am wearing. I have quite a collection of tshirts with pop culture references / movie quotes on them. My sister sends them to me every time she finds a new one. Sadly, my favorite ones get the blankest looks from the younger generations... which is a true crime!

(For anyone who doesn't recognize the reference on the shirt, it's the most memorable one word quote from The Princess Bride.)

• Like 9

So many thing to choose from! 

These are my Karate and Kobudo belts, trophies and a few of my weapons.

I'm currently a 2nd degree blackbelt in Kobudo and a high brown (black is next) in Karate.

20200719_161901.jpg

20200719_161834.jpg

• Like 13

On 7/17/2020 at 5:44 AM, TaleSpinner said:

20200719_175305.thumb.jpg.c2c720328106b5bdf73364923d2ca814.jpg20200719_181617.thumb.jpg.3ba7339468f12f6850088636a8c82127.jpg

It's a two day question, so two photos! :devil::lol:::P:  First is a lot of my initial flow props/things - my first Astrojax, my first trainer poi (that are waaaay too short, and I'm not a fan of dual hoops), and sock poi that didn't really get much (if any) use due to being too short and too stretchy.  Second pic is my main camera, a Panasonic Lumix G85, with the Lumix 25mm f1.7 attached, and kit 12-60 f3.5-5.6 next to it.  Eventually it will be upgraded and superseded by either the G9, GH5S, or whatever Panasonic comes out with as the even newer one.  Odds are the 15mm f1.7 and 42.5mm f1.7 lenses will happen before a new body though, since those are right around where I take most of my photos when the 12-60 is on the camera body.  Oh, right, and my first (and so far, only) tripod, the UltraPod II right next to the camera.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 10